Mathematics: important for game design

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Peter Carter, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Peter Carter

Peter Carter New Member

Do people feel they are using mathematics much when designing games? Does it help to have advanced level maths do you think? Can you get by without it? What particularly circumstances do people think it's likely to be helpful or unhelpful in?

2. 3ph0r

I think everybody ends up using some sort of mathematics when designing, even if they don't know it. especially with things like game mechanics and level design. but its not very advanced. I think if you like to be in control with the minute details within the physics of the game then yeah, advanced maths is required.

3. Rog

Rog New Member

A highschool level of math will get you going on a game. For example when a script runs a calculation it uses Order of Operations ect and if you don't know those things you'll find yourself getting stuck.

4. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I agree with @Rog. High school level math will be good enough for most indie games. If you need to get into 3D vector math and things like that you may need a bit more, but nothing you couldn't google and learn. I didn't think it would ever happen, but I had to use some Calculus a few months ago on my current game to figure out the optimal acceleration/deceleration rate for a starship. I had taken up to Calc 4 in college, but couldn't remember most of it, so I ended up googling it anyway.

Viedt and kevintrepanier like this.
  5. kaufenpreis

kaufenpreis New Member

However, mathematical skills are an important underlying element in web design, even for those who are not so technical themselves. Mathematical thinking is clear, crisp, and concise. These characteristics are all desirable in web design. Even if you’re an artist or writer, which are roles that do not normally require a math background, having an interest in, affinity for, and ability in mathematics are desirable characteristics.

6. noahbwilson

Indie Author

If you don't know at least trig, GTFO.

Solokeh and weeklycoder like this.
  7. weeklycoder

weeklycoder New Member

I think basic trig, understanding SIN, COS, TAN and what they do, especially with respect to gaming, can make your game that much more exciting. They make games like Mega Man and Gradius so much fun and not to mention difficult.

8. _Martin

_Martin New Member

Yes, Math is necessary and trying to do anything in game without Math is not wise. Even something as basic as design involves analytics (NOT just analytical thinking) and empirical evaluation. As far as code, writing code is math.