Mass combining images?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Chris England, May 2, 2011.

1. Chris England

Chris England New Member

Hi guys - I was wondering if anyone knew a good method for combining two series of images together into a single series?

Basically, I'll be rendering out a series of models and also rendering out the shadows for each frame seperately. We'll be doing some post-processing on the images that means we can't simply render them as one image, but we'll end up with two 'finished' series of images that just need to be merged together.

To make things more complex, the files in questions will be pngs and therefore will have transparency - we can't afford to lose that.

Usually I'd use a Photoshop droplet, but I'm not sure of any way for to set that up so it automatically combines the right images with one another. They'll all be numbered sequentially, so 'model5.png' simply needs to be placed on top of shadow5.png' and saved, but it's a bit beyond my abilities at the moment.

Anyone got any experience/ideas about doing this?

2. rioka

rioka New Member

There's a batch processing ability in Photoshop (available in more current editions) that can process several steps and save to whatever you set when you recorded the process BUT since you will be combining two images together, it sounds like you will just have to do this by hand. PS's batch process doesn't always work 100% well in certain processes so you're better off just taking the time to manually do this.

3. barrygamer

Original Member

4. Chris England

Chris England New Member

Rioka - Yup, we're already using the Photoshop automation. I don't think manually doing it is an option - there's 500,000 images to join!

Barrygamer - I'll definitely check Imagemagick out, it looks really useful. Thanks a bunch!

5. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Yeah, Imagemagick does look pretty useful, thanks for the link Barry.