Marble Sheep starts rolling! - ackBytes released first casual game

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by ulfster, Dec 6, 2007.

1. ulfster

ulfster New Member

"Video Game Brings Back the Spirit of Good Old Arcade Action"

ackBytes would like to announce the release of Marble Sheep! The funny casual marble arcade action game for players of all ages. Wich offers exciting action and unique gameplay - for both the casual gamer and hardcore player.

The player must help a little sheep - with the marvellous name "Utz Wollewutz", who is trapped inside a magic marble to complete a total of 30 arcade-style levels. Packed with tons of different enemies, power-ups and logic challenges - each to be solved in a given time. The realistic physics engine gives the game an extrem high replayability value. The game also runs very good on older pc systems and is suited for all ages.

Thanks to everyone here on the forum, that helped me during the development of the game. Especially those who voted and believed in the game during the conitec casual game contest. Winning that was a big motivational plus. Now have a lot of fun with the demo! If you like it, please consider buying it for only 14,95 $ to support independent game developers.

Press/Publisher Contact: info@marblesheep.com

Read the press release

Download 4 level demo from the website

Buy the 30 level game

Watch the YouTube video

Visit the official site

Here are some screenshots (click to view 800x600 size)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

3. mrkwang

mrkwang New Member

Tried demo for few minutes.

Basically, good & interesting game. But it has few flaws.

- Seems to install another program, besides Game itself.

Not sure what it is for, maybe some program related to OGG file format? Maybe you need it to make your game better, but most people might not know what it is, and curious about that.

- Text font for Option & Purchase explanation is not very good.

Other Fonts are pretty, but those 2 are not so good. And for Option, they are too small sized. I think you'd better change / improve them, and it will make your game looks much better.

- Game is more difficult than it looks.

I used MOUSE to control at first. Seems to be fun, but my right hand ankle hurts, so tried to use WASD. Well, it's difficult to control my sheep. If you can make the moving easier, I think that would be much better.

4. Bad Sector

Original Member

Lovely game, i like it :). I would agree that controlling isn't easy, but i think that it's part of the challenge (you're trapped inside a sphere afterall). I redefined the keys to arrows and it was fine to control (imho).

I saw a bug with the shadows of some objects: the shadow appeared from the bottom side of many platforms. I assume you use volumetric shadows. Since your platforms are mostly planar, i recommend to use the method i describe here. Basically it's projected shadows but by using the stencil it doesn't have to be pitch black or overlapped blended shadows.

5. BIGZIPZ

Original Member

Fantastic game, but please tighten up the control scheme. That power up to slash the trees up is awesomely fun too.

#5 BIGZIPZ, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  6. ulfster

ulfster New Member

hey, thanks for the comments!

the program that needs to be installed with the installer is a direct show .ogg filter for hearing music in the game.

the sensitivity of the controls can be adjusted in the option menu. new players better use a lower sensitivity setting.
    the game is best played with the mouse. of cause you need a short time to get used to.
    i wanted to make a game that features some kind of new challenging control feeling.

thanks for your kind words of advice ill put that on the list for a possible future update. right now iam just plain happy with the release :)

7. Bad Sector

Original Member

Well, personally i find the keys easier to use once i reassign them to arrow keys :)

8. barrygamer

Original Member

Had a quick go, just for a few minutes, but very impressed! I think the keyboard control was good, no issues for me. The physics adds a lot to the game - could it be used even more, with more puzzle set-ups? Some of the power-ups were really cool too.

Small things I wasn't so keen on:
    Font and UI graphics just didn't feel right. Go for chunky font?
    Having to run that 2nd installer -- people will be very confused or hit 'cancel'.
    The voice of that person who speaks/nags you...
    I also noticed a few shadow problems, and character models with occasional holes/tears.

One idea: some people, me included, really enjoy playing games with no time limit. Perhaps add a 'relaxed' mode with no timer? (sorry if there is one already, I missed it).

Anyway, well done, very nice game (no Mac version?).

9. ulfster

ulfster New Member

hey the voice of that person was my girlfriend, she had a hard time not to laugh in front of the microphone ;)

sorry but theres no mac version, because the engine i use is just for pc games. thanks for the suggestions and idea with the relaxed mode, ill add this to my list.
    greetings

10. ulfster

ulfster New Member

if those with a digg.com account want to show some love for my game, you are invited to digg it here

thanks!

11. ulfster

ulfster New Member

I just want to announce that i released version 1.1 of Marble Sheep! The new version has a total renewed control + camera system. You now control the marble with the keyboard and pan the camera around it using the mouse. The control was number one critics in the previous versions so i quickly fixed that. You can download the new demo version over at the Marble Sheep website. Let me know what you think about the new controls of cause! I also would like to thank all customers who bought the game and the thousands of people who tried it already. Owners of the full version will receive a free update to version 1.1 shortly.

12. BIGZIPZ

Original Member

Thanks for improving the controls. *Purchases*

Edit: Hey, your payment system is trying to charge me 19% VAT rate, the rate is only 17.5% in England. Huh?

13. ulfster

ulfster New Member

thanks for the purchase! can you tell me in wich currency you paid? maybe it has to do with that. so i can write them a support email. greetings!

edit: btw, i think it doesnt matter how many VAT you are charged you should always only be charged with the 14,95 because i fixed that value and said vat included. or did you have to pay more than 14,95?

#13 ulfster, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  14. BIGZIPZ

Original Member

Hey, its ok now, I fixed it all. No problems at all with your payment system after all! The game is super-fun

15. ulfster

ulfster New Member

16. Tertsi

Indie Author

Cool game and it would seem a lot more professional with a better voice. Why not have a sheep(ish) voice?

17. Jesse Hopkins

Jesse Hopkins New Member

---------------

#17 Jesse Hopkins, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  18. ulfster

ulfster New Member

@Tertsi what exactely is not so good with the voice? i think it sounds pretty good but i'm not a native speaker. how do you define a sheepish voice? do you talk to the sheep that visit you bevore you sleep?

@Jesse yep, thats a nice idea haven't thought of that yet!

19. Kaos

Original Member

Umm I tried this game, and I assume that it is supposed to be like Super Gerball?

(http://www.supergerball.com/)

well if the controls were a bit more fluid maybe but I had a lot of difficulty with the controls in Marble Sheep.

Good luck on this 1.

20. JoKa

Indie Author

Remember Gharbad the Weak in Diablo? Ple-ee-ease! No hu-u-u-rt, no ki-ill. Be go-od and good bring to you

...no, wait - that was a goat voice ;)