Making Sprites for HTML5 game?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by caleb.bertrand, Jun 15, 2017.

1. caleb.bertrand

caleb.bertrand New Member

I'm building a small (well, not so small) HTML5 game in the canvas and and I am beginning to wonder about performance issues. I've heard that sprites generally render faster than drawing things natively on the canvas. However, I'm really more of a programmer and not a graphical designer. Really all I need for this game is a line that wiggles back and forth in random directions. (I'm trying to simulate a flagellum on a bacterium, for you biology nerds who know about that) I would like to make a sprite sheet, but I don't know how. I have tried drawing each individual image in a free SVG maker, but that gets really tedious and I can't make the animation very smooth anyway.
    Is there a way I could draw the effect I want onto the canvas (just with native javascript shapes and animations), and then somehow save the frames into a sprite sheet, to be used later??