Making RPGmaker games playable in MAC

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by over_cloud9, Jul 6, 2010.

1. over_cloud9

over_cloud9 New Member

I had read somewhere that Elder Prince was creating a software whereby RPGmaker games can be ported and played on mac.Is that project still ongoing or is there any other way to do that?I read many forum posts on some complicated process for porting games from PC to mac and it was neither easy for me nor will be for players to do that,let along playing them....any suggestions?

2. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

We would love to have this feature, me and my 8 RM games lol, but I'm doubtful it can be done because I would have expected Amaranth Games and their excellent technical staff to create a tool for it. Well, I'd love to be proven wrong on this. :)

3. over_cloud9

over_cloud9 New Member

Yeah this would really boost up the market reach,though it may also pose some problem providing support for it.But whoever may come up with will hopefully be able to provide support for it also.:)
    Did Amaranth people try making a tool like this?because I didn't read it anywhere...I hope someones does.

4. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

I'm not sure RM is allowed on Mac to be honest. It's a PC tool meant to be used on PC.

5. dewitters

Original Member

I'm pretty sure Amaranth is working on it. Well, actually I *am* sure Amaranth is working on it, because I'm working on it! :). Some time ago Amanda posted a request for a game tools programmer. I responded but didn't know what to expect. We mailed back an forth and in the end decided to release our own RPG editor, targeting Flash. You can read it in a post I did to inform my customers: http://www.koonsolo.com/news/more-info-on-koonsolos-game-editor/

RPG Maker is a great product, but it has its flaws, and Amaranth definitely knows this. Therefore we're going to release our own editor which will contain many improvements, and will target more platforms.

So at first it will target Flash, but the editor is created in such a way that we can easily target other platforms/engines. The editor itself will run on Windows, Mac and Linux.

We haven't made any of this public yet (except to my customers), but I couldn't help myself to respond to this thread ;).

And yes, we will provide support for that product :D.

PS: I've created a temporary page for the RPG Editor, and you can subscribe to our mailing list to receive the latest news on that. But it's possible that some things might still change, for example the product name.

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

OOps beaten on time by the author :D

7. over_cloud9

over_cloud9 New Member

But it would be in flash,not a downloadable one :( ...though I appreciate the concept.

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

If it produces flash, WILL also be EASY to make a downloadable version.
    I'm not sure about the flash choice: isn't potentially dangerous, leading to 310298310 free RPG games on the major portals, destroying the market ?

9. over_cloud9

over_cloud9 New Member

Will the coding be in RGSS2? Or else it would be spending more time learning about another platform(which is though educative still time consuming).

:D :D

10. dewitters

Original Member

Well, I thought exactly the same thing at first. But in the end it's already really easy to create games in Flash, or a downloadable with any other tool like RPG Maker, Game Maker, etc. Such tools make it easier to create games, but still it seems that you need to reach certain quality before people want to play your game. Amaranth and Aldorlea are definitely examples that it can still be profitable, even though it seems that "anyone can do it".

11. dewitters

Original Member

Coding won't be done in RGSS2 but in ActionScript3. The difference is that with our editor, you get access to all the sources of the complete game engine. So you're able to adapt anything your heart desires :).

12. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes true, also I think there are lots of free rpgmaker games made by hobbists around...
    I've subscribed to your mailing list. This tool seems much more interesting / powerful than RPGMaker ;)

13. sake-bento

sake-bento New Member

Dude, I am SO on this mailing list. RPG Maker is getting more and more fun as I'm getting used to it, but the platform restriction has always bothered me. Plus, a lot of my friends just don't like downloadable games. : /

14. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Heh those sort of people probably would never pay for a game at all though...;)
    Anyway talking with a friend realized that my fear is non existant. A decent commercial RPG will have minimum 40-50mb of content (music, art, maybe voices). And that's not a size that will ever be accepted on a flash portal (for now at least).
    The fear of the free RPGmaker invasion is gone :D

15. sake-bento

sake-bento New Member

Well, most of those people are adults without much computer knowledge. When they download a game, sometimes Windows Vista tells them that it's "unknown software," and it scares them away from even playing my free games.

16. Jack Norton

Indie Author

17. whisperstorm

Original Member

While no flash game would work out having so much content, there's no reason to believe that someone might release a series, or come up with a way to stream content in as you want it, so that if you get to the 20% mark, the game goes and fetches the next 20%.

Also, having 232023 RPG's out there may mean that there is a lot of junk, but it also means that the probability that at least some of them not sucking is higher.

RPG's need to evolve, and perhaps someone coming up with a successful RPG in this medium might be part of that.

18. Jack Norton

Indie Author

You're talking as player, I was talking as developer ;)
    Getting noticed even with a good product in middle of a huge mass of free stuff is not easy, that's what I meant.

19. Cartman

Indie Author

I've also looked at porting RPG Maker to Flash, but I'm not crazy about Actionscript.

So what I'm doing is using BlitzMax and Grey Aliens library to make my RPG. I'm using the map editor I used for Crumb/Majestic Forest.

So far I've gotten inventory, mapping, conversations, save/load, and some of the battle system done.

I won't be able to sell the engines to others due to license agreements, but I'll be able to crank out my own RPG Maker like games almost as easily as RPG Maker, and they will run on the Mac and PC.