Making a Video Game Dev Club from the ground up

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by militarybeetle, Jan 10, 2018.

1. militarybeetle

militarybeetle New Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Hey everyone, first time posting so thanks for stopping by

I'm looking for some input as to how I can make my college club more engaging and fun!

The club has 3 components Talking about Games, Playing Games and Making Games.
    - The first two categories are to help make the club more social (lets face it, when amateurs get together to make games all they do is talk)
    - The club mainly consists of 18yo and up males. The great thing I suppose is that most people there are CS majors so they know how to code (mainly in Java)

What I would like your help with

1. What sorts of topics and debates would be fun to discuss in a group face-to-face setting?

2. How do I lead and motivate people to work together on a project?
    - I've been trying to take up the initiative on learning Unity and hoping that others would follow but no one really does anything apart from following along in the hour long workshops/tutorials I've been hosting.

3. Do you know of some resources I could find helpful?
  2. TheTodd

TheTodd New Member

May 3, 2017
    You have to make it worth while for them. Maybe actually try making a game with them (all of them). Something simple, then, when they see the results of their hard work, they may have the spark to continue on.

As for topics, ask them about what they love about games, and why they might want to make them. Ask them about things they want to see in games or do in games that they feel only they can do. Given them that unique connection so that they'll want to expand on it.

It won't work for everyone, but even if you only get a few people to take up the baton, it's worth it.