Making a Game? Need Funding? Check out 8-Bit Funding - It's Back Baby!

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by GnadeGames, Feb 28, 2012.

1. GnadeGames

Original Member

Crowd-Funding website, 8-Bit Funding returns and is backed by new management and popular indie game websites, DIY Gamer and Indie Game Mag.

ABOUT 8-BIT FUNDING:
    8-Bit Funding is a crowd-funding website focused on game projects. The site was started and founded by Geoff Gibson, founder of DIYGamer.com. After experiencing and noticing the discrepancies against gaming related projects on other crowdfunding websites, the idea for 8-Bit Funding was born. The goal of 8-Bit is to help indie game developers throughout the world fund their projects. As an international website, 8-Bit Funding provides an instantaneous alternative to larger crowd-funding sites and is directly targeted at gamers. 8-Bit provides the funds to the developers in real-time and chart the growth of the funding donations toward the ultimate goal as set forth by the development team prior to launching the campaign.

We hope you indies out there will help us get some great new projects up on there.

2. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I`ve become a big fan of crowd funding - it makes great sense to ask the community if they would actually like a thing before going ahead and building it. My concern, as a potential user of your service, is that 8-Bit Funding doesn`t look like much right now and most of the titles are at $0 so... That said, I have a couple of questions for you:

How many unique visitors are you getting to your site right now? How much of a cut does 8-bit funding take and how is it distributed?

3. GnadeGames

Original Member

Lennard -

Great Questions. We didn't create the site and just took over the 8-Bit Funding site in the past few weeks. It was neglected by the previous owner and had some early success (in early 2011 - check the older projects to see some successfully funded projects) but died down when the site owner stopped approving projects and promoting the site. I don't have number of visitors to the site right now -but I can tell you that we will be promoting our favorite projects on IGM and DIY (together over 1/2 million page views per month). That's a direct line to potential indie supporters!

As contributors fund your project, a fee will be assessed to each transaction by PayPal. This fee is 2.9% + $0.30. After PayPal has assessed it’s fee, 8-Bit Funding adds a fee of 5%. It should be noted here that our fee structure is set-up competitively with other crowdfunding sites. Don’t believe us? Check out Kickstarter’s and IndieGoGo’s fees. We match up to Kickstarter exactly.

4. Bad Sector

Original Member

Kickstarter so far has won the publicity race. Some of the people who paid for Tim Schafer's Kickstarter project also looked around the site and found some other interesting game projects and paid for these too. When someone mentions a crowdfunding service, the first thing that comes to mind is "a Kickstarter-like site".

However there is one thing that Kickstarter doesn't do: be available worldwide.

So there are two major things you should focus on:

1. Make the site available to everyone and i mean everyone.

2. Make the site known to gamers, not just game developers. Focus on gamer-oriented sites, most indie developers are also gamers and follow those. Being mentioned in IGM and DIY isn't enough: it has to be mentioned by sites such as RPS, Kotaku, Joystiq, etc. You have to spend money on ads. Searching for 'indie game funding' and 'game funding' must have 8bit funding at the top. Currently the former has indie-fund.com at the top and the latter some article at obscure.co.uk... for the moment there are some articles about 8bit funding in the first page, but those are old and won't be around forever. If you want to succeed with this, you have to make 8bit funding the definite place for indie game crowdfunding.

Also add a "successful games" link there at some point that is very visible. At the moment i fail to find any game that has been successfully funded, which doesn't help the site's image. I mean, as a developer, why bother with a site that it clearly (from what i can see) doesn't deliver what it promises?

EDIT: also to add: try to lure in some bigger project developers there. Most of the projects i see are around $1000-$2000-$3000 projects, which while are nice, they're small projects and the prices feel mostly unrealistic. Right now i feel that if i'm going to use the site i have to ask for at most $4000 which is silly because i know that most games i've worked on would need much more than that. $4000 for me means that i can work up to 5 months on the game with only the absolutely basic expenses (food, electricity, internet, house common bills), not leaving the house and not contracting anyone for art or music - that means making everything by myself.

I'm sure that most people in these boards needed more than that for their games.

EDIT2: i tried to register and the mail ended in GMail's spam folder. You may need to check on that and try to make sure Google doesn't consider 8bitfunding a spamming site/company.

EDIT3: ok, i managed to find a completed project: American Dawn. But i think that was easy :p

#4 Bad Sector, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. GnadeGames

Original Member

I really appreciate the feedback and realize that the site was poorly managed and not properly marketed before.

1. The site is available to everyone (internationally) with a gaming related project. I believe this gives our site a great focus on games (which aren't even shown on Kickstarter's homepage).
    2. We will be doing publicity to spread the word to other gaming sites such as Gamasutra, RPS, Kotaku, Joystiq etc. - but keep in mind that if you're an indie and start a Kickstarter Project these sites will not post about you without your own marketing effort. 8-Bit funding does have the advantage of being backed by multiple Indie Game News sites. Whether it's a kickstarter, indiegogo, or 8-bit funding project - the developer needs to do some marketing of their own to be successful. This includes Tim Shafer and Double-Fine who were so successful because of their excellent video and marketing push (plus being a AAA developer and going Indie/Crowd Funding helps too).

I really appreciate the other feedback. A successful games link should be doable and we can definitely work on those keywords.

I would love to lure bigger game developers into the site and I believe that is our first step into improving the site - That's why I'm here. If you're interested and need incentives, please contact us or me directly. We'd love to work with you.

6. electronicStar

Original Member

Yes, as badsector pointed, I find kickstarter's restriction to US based develloper unacceptable. I refuse to support any kickstarter project for this reason.
    I didn't even know that 8bitfunding had been left to neglect and I hope it works out ok and becomes a worthy competitor in this field.

For the future I would like to see some sort of "stock market" feature appear where funders would receive a (obviously very small) percentage of income from the commercial games they would sponsor, that could be interesting.

7. GnadeGames

Original Member

This is not something that we can do legally in the United States.

8. Gary Preston

Original Member

There's issues with crowd funding in the UK atm too one of which is shares in company vs shares in project for an investment. UKIE did a report the other week about legislation changes needed to make crowd funding legal.

9. GnadeGames

Original Member

While Crowd-Funding is perfectly legal, certain rewards/perks such as ownership in a company or profit sharing is not allowed. When you add rewards like this the project becomes an investment rather than a "Pre-Order" of physical/digital goods. Investments, Purchasing of Companies, Profit Sharing, and Capital Gains type stuff all means that U.S. Government Agencies get involved including the SEC. The short of it is, don't offer shares of your project/company in a funding campaign.

10. Stropp

Stropp New Member

Are you sure about that? I just did a search on Kickstarter and found some Australian City projects. (http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/cities/sydney-aus?ref=more)

Not enough time to do a thorough check, but it looks like non-US projects can be funded, or perhaps they are being funded through US based agencies.

11. SLotman

Original Member Indie Author

From Kickstarter website:

You can have projects done outside US - but as stated above, there are severe limitations on it, which basically means "no" to non-US residents.

12. GnadeGames

Original Member

I think the big problem is that Kickstarter is backed by Amazon and only uses Amazon payments - We utilize paypal which is much more flexible payment platform.

13. EddieX

EddieX New Member

Having a funded project link would definitely help when it looks like most games aren't getting any funding at all. Or very low anyway...

And it looks like most projects are looking for like $1000. Need some bigger projects, like my project is $10,000 and I wouldn't post it there if it doesn't look like there is the possibility of it getting funded. Yes you do have to do some marketing on your own but there should be a way for these things to get attention without having to seek it also.

I wanted to acquire the site in the past but it looked like a major uphill battle.

14. Mark_Tempe

Original Member

I just want to say good luck with this project. We really need something that works outside of US.

15. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

How can our community help push this over the top? I agree with EddieX that we need something that is likely to succeed but this is such a critical component that if I could help with your marketing efforts I would. Also, I'm curious if a developer has the option to continue with a project even if it doesn't get fully funded?

Now that I'm thinking about it... what if we all kicked in a piece of software of some kind or another to create an indie bundle. Anybody who funds any project in the month of July would get the whole indie bundle. I'd be willing to kick in copies of Battle Castles, REE 1, REE 2 or Big$hot for such a bundle if I felt it was going to get wide exposure.

16. EddieX

EddieX New Member

If you look at Kickstarter, it seems like games are starting to get a little more love these days. Used to see like 1 game every other month get funded but there are quite a few recently that got funded.

And did I read on the site that a video is mandatory? Not everyone has a video to show anything. No one wants to see my mug for 5 minutes talking about a game and have nothing to show.

17. Pallav Nawani

Indie Author

That's a good idea... I'd be willing to pitch in with copies of my games too.

18. Bad Sector

Original Member

I noticed that - especially with the news about Brian Fargo giving back 5% of his Kickstarter extra funding to Kickstarter games/projects - but i'm increasingly worried about the focus on Kickstarter since the site isn't (practically) available to people outside of US and even if it was, giving in a site so much power that it becomes synonymous with a type of service is bad for competition. In fact it becomes yet another gatekeeper.