Make me a banner ad, win a spaceship

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by cliffski, Apr 25, 2010.

1. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

2. elias4444

elias4444 New Member

I personally can't stop laughing from your sample ad banner. Maybe you should just keep that one. :p

3. defanual

Original Member

Or you could do just skip the niceties and stick some boobs in there Evony style :D

4. Qitsune

Qitsune New Member

Well, THAT would be gratuitous!

5. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

The spaceship itself does look a bit like a boob...

6. defanual

Original Member

@Qitsune: Indeed! :)

Or a Star Trek boob accessory for a klingon:D

@cliffski: Sorry:eek: On a serious note the model is really awesome! Banner wise, other then boobs, I've noticed that the latest Evony ads (they make my adsense and wallet happy) just have animations seemingly from gameplay and some swish buttons. That seems to work for them. Look forward to seeing the entries though.

7. JGOware

Indie Author

I got a severe bitch slapping for posting a contest for artists a while back, and that was for cash. I was acused of trying to low ball all the artists around here. Oh well.....

8. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Yes indeed, I had wondered about that. My first thought was, "Oh cool, a model!" and my second thought was, "Hold on a second. That model isn't going to pay the bills, it's worth less than two hours of work, and I go into a draw for it after I've spent the time plugging away at it. That's just a big waste of time for any artist capable of doing a good job on it."

I know it's a stunt for cheap labour, but... how about keeping this sort of thing to one's own forum? Pro artists around here deserve more, right? (like, you know, that thing that allows them to eat) If they don't, or let's let every person from this point on throw out as many competitions as they like, in an effort to wrangle people into working for less than their asking price.

On a side note, the cat piccy is funny :)

9. defanual

Original Member

@JGOware: Assuming it wasn't your intention, that sucks:(

However, it's pretty obvious that you'd be doing it (or expect someone to) because your a big fan of the game as opposed to the model's value being equivalent to paid work / paying bills right? :)

At least that's my thinking regarding the contest, I think it will appeal more to fans. Also, I doubt Cliffski can't afford artists unless he's become a cheapskate, gambler, developed a drug habit or a mixture of the 3.

10. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Exactly.
    I have money for artists. (Those spaceships weren't knocked up in someones spare weekend). This is more of a promotional thing for anyone to do. Anyone can do a leaderboard size jpg.
    If you are a professional artist, this isn't aimed at you. It's aimed at people who like the game, or want a spaceship model.
    Of course, I won't mind if a pro artist enters!

11. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Yeah, I agree. I'm the first person to criticize design contests, but it's a bit different when the prize is a one-of-a-kind piece of fan memorabilia. For one thing, the "value" of the prize depends on the person - for a real fan of the game, getting something like that might be cool enough to be worth it. For another, it's clear that the intention of the contest is to engage the fans and get them involved in promoting the game, as opposed to trying to solicit cheap work from a bunch of artists. If you're offering, say, a T-shirt, or a signed poster, or a model like this, or whatever, it's clear that you're not trying to convince anyone that this is a great chance to "WIN MONEY!!!" but rather a way to give back to the creator of a game you love.

That's my gut feeling about it, anyway. Not that I love GSB enough to participate in this, mind you (haven't played it... tried Democracy II and decided Cliffski's design philosophy is too much towards the explicit, rather than emergent end of the complexity scale for my liking), but there have been, over the years, some games that I loved enough to consider doing free work for. That's how you should look at any design contest: you're asking people to do free work. Offering a cash prize is kind of dishonest, because it hides that fact. But if the context is such that you think it's ethical to ask people to volunteer to do free work, then it's okay.