Majesty - Anyone hear of it?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by sjohnson243, Oct 2, 2007.

1. sjohnson243

sjohnson243 New Member

Hi all - I'm very new at this indy stuff, looking to learn some programming, and I figured the best way to learn would be by doing something I'm passionate about, which is games. :)

I played this game years ago, called Majesty - in this game you created Heroes that wandered the countryside killing monsters, collecting treasures, leveling up - however you could not directly control them; each class has different want's and needs, and all you could do was 'Infulence' them, for instance, Rogues like to go to dungeons and collect loot/treasure, and by doing this, they level up, get stronger. Fighters like to fight, etc, etc.

Anyone every played anything else like this?

2. Backov

Original Member

Nope, there's not really been anything else like Majesty. Jay Adan might be lurking on this board - apparently they tried many times to get Majesty 2 funded but never got anyone to go all the way.

Beautiful game.

3. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

sounds like a nice game idea anyway

4. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

5. Backov

Original Member

6. Chicknstu

Chicknstu New Member

7. tagged

Original Member

Majesty is one of those games that I keep coming back to play every year or two. It's a brilliant game!

Great to hear it's finally getting a sequel, I remember drooling over the Majesty 2 images years ago...

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Majesty is a cool game, I bought it at cheap price and played for lot of time, but honestly the fact of not being able to directly control the heroes was a bit disappointing.
    I prefer the Might&Magic saga or even the old evergreen Master of Magic :cool:

9. Sammgus

Sammgus New Member

I'm working on a (mostly) AI-based fantasy kingdom game myself, and I can only say that it's a very tricky thing to get right. Keeping the AI from doing anything obviously stupid is difficult if you want its subjects to have a good range of interesting abilities.

And then the biggest problem is that you need enough feedback for the player to keep the game interesting. Or rather, the 'distance' between a player's action and the feedback from that action becomes a problem (in that the effect of their actions appears diminished due to the AI layer in between).

10. dma

dma New Member

It's amazing that you can buy the downloadable version of Majesty and its Expansion Pack for only $9.99. Seems a bit odd to see such a great game (and its sequel to boot) together selling for less than your average run-of-the-mill Match-3 game. Obviously there's a problem with positioning here. They should repackage it as something new, and submit it to all the casual game portals. It would probably earn more than it's doing now, even at the higher $19.99 price.

I bought both games years ago, and still play them from time to time to this day. Fun stuff.

11. vjvj

Indie Author

Yep, I bought this game when it first came out and loved it. Very refreshing design and very fun.

I recently saw the expansion pack in the store for budget prices and ended up buying it. I played a few games that weekend for nostalgia and thought that someone should do a remake.

I think the problem they had was that the game was not marketed as a "sim" game, which it really is. I admit I was also initially disappointed with not being able to directly control units, but I was open minded and it grew on me.