Mac Argus demo tester needed

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by tentons, Apr 21, 2005.

1. tentons

Indie Author

Hi! I've uploaded the Mac OS X demo for my edutainment title, Argus Teaches Multiplication Facts, and I need somebody to download it and verify that it works and fits with normal Mac conventions. I'm pretty new to Mac, so I don't really know what I'm doing yet! :)

Any takers, please give it a whirl. Thanks very much!

2. Gnatinator

Original Member

Your link does not work.

3. tentons

Indie Author

Hmm, I just tried it on my PC, and it worked ok. It doesn't use any browser-specific trickery or anything. I'm using Firefox on PC, and I use Safari on the Mac.

Edit: Just tried it on Mac and it downloaded ok.

4. Gnatinator

Original Member

The link work for about a period of 10 minutes while I was trying, sorry about that.

About the game, it dosent launch, the ghost comes up but nothing after that (like gardengolf). It seems to me like you are using torque. I am not familiar with what libs torque uses.

I think there is a way to find out what is missing via the command line, but I forget what command/params the check is. I am very tired right now. If you cant solve the problem by tommorow I will be back and will report on whats wrong if I can find it.

Goodnight everyone.

5. tentons

Indie Author

What do you mean the "ghost" comes up? You mean when you click it, the icon does that cool "ghost" effect? :)

I am indeed using Torque, but it should include all necessary files. Please send me the console.log file (jason at thinkbiggames.com) or paste it into the contact form. That file should be in the install directory.

Thanks very much for your help!

6. Sillysoft

Indie Author

Your installer works good, however it means that it takes longer (since OSX does some optimization after running an installer) and it makes it harder to launch it right away after installing. However, if you're going for the education market then your solution is probably the best.

You have the Torque icon. You should get a custom one.

When you pause a lesson the timer keeps going down. When paused I had some trouble ending a lesson. After unpausing it ended OK.

It seemed to work pretty good in general.

7. Sillysoft

Indie Author

Update: Also I noticed that you left a EULA text file in the installation folder. I installed into my Games folder, and didn't really want a EULA lying around there. Especially one I can't tell where it came from (it doesn't seem to mention Argus inside of it, only grim inventions - also grim inventions seems kind of somber for this product). I know it's possible to make a EULA part of the installer, you might want to do that.

Also, if you do a Show Info on your application icon it says Copyright 2005 Garage Games.

8. tentons

Indie Author

@Dustin: Wow, thanks for finding all those issues. I really appreciate it!

I'm not sure how to do that on a Mac. :eek: Is it the same format as for PC?

That's by design. If it stops the timer before you answer, you could cheat by giving yourself as much time as you need to answer. So after you answer the current question, it will pause. I'll try to make that more obvious/intuitive.

I'll look into this, thanks for the tip. I probably also left the full version docs in there, too, now that you mentioned it. And, yes, I definitely need to modify the EULA to not mention Grim Inventions for this product.

I have a lot to learn about Macs. :)

Thanks sooo much for your help!!

9. tentons

Indie Author

Is there a "hit self over head with hammer" emoticon here? :)

I realized that I uploaded the development version!! Talk about a gaffe. Well, I've fixed that, and also fixed the informational glitches (version info etc - but forgot the dang EULA modifications in my rush to upload the real demo). You should now get the marketing screens and nags and such. Will work on the other issues after more research.

If you download and try it, could you please send me your console.log files? I'd like to gather system information and find out if my requirements specs are accurate. You can email them to me: jason at thinkbiggames.com or paste them into the contact form at my website.

Edit: Now the install shows a brief readme and the EULA without installing the EULA with the game.

For a great article about this, check out MacDevCenter.com's article.

#9 tentons, Apr 21, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  10. Sillysoft

Indie Author

No, it's not the same format as on a PC (that would be too easy :p ). It's an icns file that you put inside the application bundle. I think one of the apple dev tools is a program that you can drag an image into and save out a proper icon file.

11. Gnatinator

Original Member

I found the problem. The installer puts all the files straight onto the root of the hardrive, not in any seperate folder or anything. Which is not only annoying as fuck, but the game cant find its data files.

The game is pretty good. Probably a little fast for a gradeschool education game, but not bad.

Didnt have any other problems but this, it froze on me here:
    5 seconds left, 7x5 =, Correct: 31 Wrong: 13, 2:26 / 5:00

Frozen dick solid.

Im not sure whats wrong, here are my specs:
    OSX Panther 10.3.7
    600mhz G3
    640 ram
    8 meg video

12. tentons

Indie Author

Holy crap. I'll try to fix this. My apologies for the inconvenience. I think there's a way you can create an executable "bundle" on the Mac to hold all the files, but I'll have to dig for more info.

Thanks! You can change the difficulty setting (in Lesson Options) to "easy" for more time.

That's really frozen! :) If you have the console.log file from that run, I might be able to get some info about the problem.

Thank you for trying it out! I appreciate it very much.

13. Gnatinator

Original Member

I dont know if it gave any useful info, but you can pick it up here.

Ive heard you just throw it into the bundles /Resources and it works (ctrl-click on the app and go show package contents). Ive never had this work for me so I suppose you would still have to include the full path in your loading routines. (I could be wrong, maybe someone else on the board could enlighten us?)

14. tentons

Indie Author

From all my experiments today, it will indeed require some special code to support it. I'll probably do incremental refinements of these issues as I learn more about how to resolve them.

But for now it installs into its own directory and at least doesn't cause too many extra headaches thanks to the great feedback from you guys.