Mac App Store launched - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Roman Budzowski, Jan 6, 2011.

1. vbovio

vbovio New Member

I'm 99% sure, that if your demo/lite game has a "buy full game" button and it redirects to your website instead of a game within the store, they'll reject it..

2. Cartman

Indie Author

Yeah. i just discovered this issue last night. At least it's only $29 to get the upgrade here.

3. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Oh I didn't realise it was that cheap. Really though I need a several Macs with different OSes on for testing...

btw, here are some Mac App Store sales figures from Flashbang: http://bit.ly/hKXTmL

4. stanchat

Indie Author

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Game price $2.99 :eek:

6. Matthew

Indie Author

True! But I actually think that's what standalone versions of our Blurst games are worth. They're basically the web games in downloadable form (same 4-minute game timers, etc). I wouldn't pay much more for them myself, to be honest.

We did charge more on Blurst itself, but because there's so much friction in getting someone to open their wallet. IMO it's practically impossible to sell something for $3 on the open Internet, but in a 1-click purchase environment things are totally different...

However, there are some interesting examples of price cuts elsewhere on the store, though: Aperture went from $199 to $79, Autodesk SketchBook had a similar halving, and some other prominent Mac apps have reduced price. I don't think price competition will happen as fiercly on the Mac App Store as the iOS App Store, but I guess we'll see!

7. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Oh Hi Matthew, hope you don't mind me posting your stats! Btw, I'm sitting next to Ryan Clark (who I believe you know) in the BFG office and we thought the stats we cool.

8. Matthew

Indie Author

No problem! I posted them a bunch of places. (And hi, Ryan!)

We're doing some real-time tracking, too, inferred from our Blurst integration. Looks like today will have more sales, which makes sense given the 10.6.6 OS X update requirement for the App Store. Also worth pointing out that we did ship the games with full Blurst API stuff; if you have an active Internet you pass through our login and get a guest account at minimum.

9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Well, now that's interesting :) thanks for the info!

10. Grey Alien

Indie Author

So excuse my noobishness, but can I just upload my Mac versions of Oz and Holiday Bonus or do I need to do something fancy? Thx.

11. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Something fancy - Package must be generated by xcode and signed with Apple certificates. DRM is optional, but you must meet apple HID requirements (Command Q, etc).

12. Grey Alien

Indie Author

F*ck, that's annoying as I just signed up and paid the Mac fee and iOs fee (but thanks for the info!). Actually maybe that won't be so bad as BlitzMax uses XCode. Time for some digging.

13. Grey Alien

Indie Author

OK panic over, seems it's easy. YAY. Mac store here I come!

14. Matthew

Indie Author

15. Grey Alien

Indie Author

A very handy guide. Thanks Matthew!

16. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Tip: Old Allegro uses something called QuickDraw. If your game/middleware doesn't rely on a Graphics/Windowing API like Cocoa or Carbon, you may get rejected.

17. jcottier

jcottier New Member

PoV, could you tell me were I can find a list of these requirements please?

Also, are anyone aware of an OpenGl/Mac template example. I've got some codes for running OpenGL on Mac but I have a problem switching from Fullscreen to Window mode when the Fullscreen res & the desktop res are the same.
    So, I was hoping to find something similar than the template for Iphone to create OpenGl apps. But unfortunatly I haven't find anything.
    For now, I'm just planning to ask the player to restart the app when he clicks on WindowMode: lame but otherwise 50% of the time the Mact get stucks :(

JC