Mac App store - how low would you go?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Thomas@BMT, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

For those of you with apps in the Mac App store - what would you do if Apple announced they were going to start taking a 50% cut of the sale of your app? What about 75%?

I had an interesting discussion with a developer (not a game developer) and he basically said that he'd opt to be in the App Store even if they charged 75% - and hoped that other people would "rebel" and opt out of the App store which of course would give him less competition.

So, it seems that Apple calls the shots big time and if you won't agree to their terms, your competition will. It will be interesting to see where this ends up in a few years time.

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Nobody (I think) would retire an app even if Apple announced they take 90%, after the effort of putting it there, so what your developer said would in practice never happen. More likely, less and less people would make *new games* for the platform. That's why is good that there are also many other sites selling Mac app like Steam, competition is always a good thing and avoid such situations.

3. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

Do you really think so - even with the Mac App store built into the OS?

That is a big advantage. What the guy I was talking to basically said (or meant) is that he would put apps in the App Store regardless of what Apple's cut was with the idea that if he didn't someone else would.

4. Gary Preston

Original Member

With the Mac app store I'd have no problem with pulling an app if they increased their % cut. Not that I have an app or there at the moment.

With the iOS store though, it wouldn't really make sense to pull an existing app as there's no alternative sales option on there so you may as well stick it out and get what you can. I would however move to another platform for future projects.

5. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

You make a good point - if they take too much developers will start to migrate to more profitable platforms.

I guess the easiest thing for Apple to do would be to provide incentives for eliminating competition, i.e. 30% if we are sole point of purchase, 50% or more if we're not.

6. richtaur

Indie Author

It's a numbers game; if the cost of development and deployment exceed the resulting (or expected) revenue, you don't ship on that platform.

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yet the sales figures so far says that differently from the iOS, the Mac App store revenues are really low. In future things might change of course, same way as Windows8 with the built-in "Games for Windows". But as long as internet exists there will people that will also look elsewhere to find content they cannot find in the "standard appstores", like webgames or niche stuff.

8. MachRider

MachRider New Member

I doubt Apple would do that. AppStores are not their core business. It's selling hardware to run those stores on that interests Apple the most. If they raised the % cut they would loose EA/Ubisoft/Activision, big guys. FIFA, Madden and Call of Duty on iProducts attract buyers, simple as that.

Thinking about it, if they ever feel threatened by whatever competition, Apple might be the first to lower their percentage cut.

9. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I wouldn't go lower than 70%. It's an accepted figure across a few major stores and seems perfectly reasonable. Microsoft switched from 30/70 to 70/30 and not only did we stop developing for XBLA, we stopped evangelising it and eventually removed the source from our engine completely. We will never, ever, ever go back.