Lylian: Ep 1 - Released!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by ionside, Dec 1, 2010.

1. ionside

ionside New Member

It's finally done, I've released my first major independently developed product to the world.

I thought I'd be able to celebrate and get drunk and have plenty of sleep. But non of that has happened yet. It was actually released a few days ago!

It's all very exciting and nerve-racking, a lot crazier than I could have anticipated.

The game is available for purchase directly from http://lyliangame.com through FastSpring.

Also on Gamersgate currently with a Christmas time little discount. And soon to be on Bigpond Game Arena.

I'm freaking tired guys... I don't know how you do it. But I'm ready to start it all again... soon.

[​IMG]

2. CasualInsider

CasualInsider New Member

Congratulations. :)

3. jpoag

jpoag New Member

I didn't see a demo, but it was only 4.99 so I went ahead and bought it.

4. ionside

ionside New Member

Thanks!

A demo is being put together, but probably not ready until early next year, as a level is specifically being made for the demo.

A little backwards I know. But that just seems to be the way I do things lately.

5. James Dean

James Dean New Member

Dig the artwork. Congrats on the release

6. defanual

Original Member

Well done man, finishing often is the hardest part many hardly ever reach ;)

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Welcome to the infamous "post-release stress" of indie devs! :D jokes apart, congrats and best of luck with it.

8. HarryBalls

HarryBalls New Member

Congratulations on the release. How did you decide on the $4.99 price point?

9. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Congrats ionside! :) Great to see it done and dusted.

10. ionside

ionside New Member

Thanks guys!

@HarryBalls - I've compared it to the Grimm Fairytales and Tell Tale episodic games. Because it is an episodic style I felt this was the best price for it.

I have thought that it may bring it into that "too low for quality" price point. But still, seems the best price for the game length and the story continues into the next episodes.
    I may look into raising it to $6 soon, to see what happens.

11. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

The visuals are so cool, I'd be curious how just releasing a trailer and no demo works out for awhile...

12. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Stick with the 4.99 until you get a demo rolled out. Wait until sales slump (or at least a month) to create a demo.

Personally, 4.99 tips my cheap meter. If the game was no good (which I'm not saying) then I would still feel ok that 4.99 was spent on Indie support.

Also, after purchasing a game, I'm more likely to give it a chance than a demo. With a demo, I have no money invested and I'll cut my losses after 5 minutes if I don't like it.

Let your site, videos and game reviews sell the game. They do a really good job.

#12 jpoag, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  13. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I remember Anna Sweet from Valve saying that the "under $10" was a "no-brainer" for most people to buy a game. (don't know if she was talking about having no-demo or not).
    Anyway I agree with jpoag - unless you have very poor sales no need for ademo with such ridiculously low (for a non appstore game! :D) price tag.

14. ionside

ionside New Member

@ Jpoag - That's very good advice, thank you! I will still put out a demo, early next year, only because people are asking for it. I'm waiting for reviews to come through, so will see what happens there.

@ Jack Norton - I'm not sure how to rate it, I'm feeling the sales aren't that great (at least direct sales), I won't know until next month when the reports come in from Gamersgate and GameArena.
    If only I could convince Anna Sweet to put it on Steam, hehe.

#14 ionside, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  15. potan

potan New Member

the game looks awesome, congratulation on finishing it :D

16. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Gamersgate has a real-time (or at least daily) report, ask for a login and you can see the sales before end of month :)

17. ionside

ionside New Member

Thanks man, Revealing my newby-ness there, but I guess I did that in the first post. :D

18. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Np, I didn't know about it either until someone else told me. That's what indiegamer is for :cool: