lower upload speed on FTP

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Jack Norton, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I've asked around in several forums so thought to ask even here... I am experiencing a strange thing: I got a new connection that in THEORY should give me 2mb/s upload speed. Of course I know that in reality is never as high as they promise, but doing several speedtest I got decent speed:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    slowest was berkeley but still, 0.88 upload speed should be more than 50kb/s... the problem is that I whenever try to upload a file with FTP, I get max 50-55kb/s!!! I tried my server+several others in USA, even some nearby in Italy, but same result.
    Now I wonder, shouldn't I get at least 100kb/s upload with that kind of connection? When I use Dropbox, uploading a garbage file (so that I get no bonus from the delta diff upload system of Dropbox) I get indeed up to 95-100kb/s... so my only conclusion is that somehow the ISP is limiting my upload speed with FTP ?

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

LOL so I turned on the mac, and using the commandline made a test, used the FTP command and hop, I get 220kb/s UPLOAD!!!!!!!!!! was Total Commander's fault then :D