losing your job

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by lennard, Aug 1, 2006.

1. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I realized yesterday that HouseFlip! would really benefit from people occassionally losing their jobs during economic slowdowns. It intensifies the risk/reward decision when people are loading up on housing bargains because foreclosure becomes more possible. There will be a unemployment insurance mechanism so players never go bankrupt and lose. Does losing your job seem like a bad idea for a game that hopes to get some casual market/portal play?

2. Laser Lou

Original Member

A game where you try to get a job or try to lose your job sounds like fun. Trying to keep your job doesn't sound like fun, since that's the situation that most people are in.

3. lennard

fun

I think you are right. I've skewed it so that only one of the game professions can actually lose their job, one is more or less stable but without a lot of upside and some are more royalty based and do best in boom times.

4. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

I think it's fine. My game has people being mugged and their home robbed, and people don't mind :D
    I was going to do a game exactly like your house game about a year ago, but it never got very far. Looks good.

5. lennard

thanks

Thanks Cliffski, I've been interested to read your biz. take on the indie scene over the past year w/regards to portals. HouseFlip! is still likely to land there but making games that don't have to live and die with portal coverage is making a lot of sense to me.

Would be happy to swap for a democracy when I'm done.