Losing so little and so much

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Jack Norton, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

http://www.winterwolves.com/maja/maja.htm

Today I came back from my holidays in Austria.
    As soon as I entered home, my mother told me a terrible thing: my kitten of 7 months old died, probably invested by a car.
    I know what people say in such occasion "it was only a cat" or "she died fast" and so on.
    She was beautiful, friendly, vivacious. She was special, very special.
    I loved her as I could love a person: I don't think there is such thing as "human superiority over other living beings".
    Her name was Maja. I found her when she was just 1 week old in my summer holidays in Croatia, and decided to pick her.
    I feed her and she gave me lot of joy. I was used to wake up every morning with her gentle "purr...purr...".

Now my house is empty.

I just wanted to share this terrible moment of my life with the friends of this board. I'm sure that those who loaved an animal (dog, cat, rabbit, anyone) will understand me.

#1 Jack Norton, Dec 18, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  2. Raptisoft

Indie Author

Sorry Jack, you have my sympathy.

I lost a dog at 19, and pretty much lost my head. You can get very close to animals, and they get close to you, too.

My condolences.

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Thanks.
    That was particularly bad because she was still young. I know that every animal must die, but if she had at least lived a normal life, I would have been less sad.
    I saved her when she was so young, but she died anyway not much time later.
    Feels like my effort were useless :(

4. Raptisoft

Indie Author

Oh, don't be silly.

Would you give up those months if you could, now? If you could spare yourself the heartbreak by never rescuing the cat?

Now for the gruesome advice: Get another one. Fast as you can. No human being should make themselves suffer for no reason. I didn't get another dog for almost five years after mine died, and those days of my life were so empty that I remember them in greyscale.

5. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Man... you have my deepest sympathy. I can honestly say I DO know how you feel, because about 10 days ago the very same thing happened to me. My Bengal kitten milo ran out into the road and was killed instantly. He was 6 months old. he was a total maniac of a cat, dug his claws into my arm so bad once it looked like I'd tried to sever my right hand! He also managed to knock a chunk out of a stone fireplace (don't ask). But he was loveable, cuddly, entertaining, wonderfull... I spent a whole evening walking around town looking for him till the vets called the next morning. Luckily he was chipped so they knew it was him. Picking up his collar from the vets is one of the saddest things I ever had to do. Pointless too, as the name tag we were going to keep had been somehow lost when he was hit...
    I still have my other cat jadzia, so the house isn't totally quiet, but I know what a change it makes. You have my absolute sympathy. All I can say is that if you can learn to always remember a happy picture of your cat when you think of them, rather than thinking about the day you lost him, then in a way she will always be there to make you happy.

6. Jonas

Indie Author

I had to put our cat down after a long fight with hyperthyriod and Liver diese. We we're certainly glad we had the years we did with him, and I'm sorry that your time was so short with your kitten. :(

I total understand how it sucks to hear " its only a cat." He as a dear freind and he'll always be remembered.

We knew we could never replace this cat. He was truely speical, kinda an old soul. We did however get a new family member who needed a home, an Itailan greyhound. She certainly has been a handful, and has helped us not dwell so much on our loss. At the same time, I think it's important to at least give it a few months before getting another pet. Its not just for you or rememberece of your kitten, but more to be fair to the new pet, so you can get a good match for the both of you.

Again, sorry Jack. Probably won't be a lot that will make you feel any better right now. As BS as it sound right now, time WILL heal, and that doesn't mean you have to forget your freind.

I hope are all our pets meet us on the flipside someplace.

7. Blick

Original Member

Before we moved, we had to put our cat down. I just remember crying for hours and fell asleep when all my energy was drained. Tough times, losing a pet. I hope I don't have to see either of my dogs die for a long, long time.

Actually, a few days ago I almost hit a dog. Dark, snowing, and there was a white dog in the middle of the road. Barely missed it, I would've felt real bad if I even clipped the thing. I hope no one else on the road hit it.

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Thank to all for your kind words.

I see that luckily the world is filled with special people like us that doesn't consider animals as "lesser beings" and understand completely what I am feeling now.
    And well, for the advice of getting a new one... I have already another one, more older. She is very different, she is shy, and that's probably what has keeped her alive (as soon as she hear a car she run away).

Anyway probably I'll find a new kitten in my trips, but hope to get away from this place surrounded by roads and cars before that...

Again, thanks for your words. It is in such situations that I consider this board "something more than just and indie forum".

9. princec

Indie Author

Smudge, the puppy of Puppygames, died in September. Haven't got over her.

Cas :(

10. GhostRik

Original Member

In this area cat adoption agencies will not let a cat go unless it will be kept indoors. In busy cities it's the only choice. It's not cruel. Many cats are living this way and are completely happy and safe from cars, diseases, mischief, etc. Of the two cats we had when I was growing up, one was hit by a car at the age of 2 and the other ran around outside for 15 years before dying of old age. The first was a wanderer (known to cross busy streets). The second stayed closer to home, but along the way he broke his hip, got stuck up a telephone pole, frequently fought with other cats, etc.

11. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yeah, it is a good thing. But some cats are really hard to keep indoor, expecially when they're young and so vivacious.
    In the beginning she even jumped down my terrace, not very high but for a kitten of 2-3 months it was (about 8-10 meters).
    I don't know, it's when those things happens, that I suddently wake up from a dream (the joy of a pet) and start to think that the world is completely wrong. Dominated by business, cars, trains who destroyed the nature.
    The world goes faster, devouring everything. Even a small innocent cat.
    It's just not fair, and I am determined to find a new place, possibly with lot of space around and in a calm rural area, so at least I can have pets without having to worry every time they run outside.

12. Sunshine

Original Member

Where's the picture?

13. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Here it goes...

Attached Files:

• cat.jpg
      cat.jpg
      File size:
      36.9 KB
      Views:
  14. Teq

Teq
    Original Member

Every cat I have ever known has died that way, tis sad :( We have a couple of mad mutts (who love unwrapping xmas prezzies....usually before the day itself) at the mo, will miss them a lot when they pass away.

15. princec

Indie Author

Make sure the buggers don't eat any chocolate or you'll be at the vets on Christmas day in the emergency room!

Cas :)

16. Bluecat

Original Member

Jack,

I'm sorry to read of your loss. I've had a few cats over the years, and they are very much members of the family with personalities and quirks that make them each unique and unreplaceable. It's always a sad time when they go.

You have my condolences.

17. Jay_Kyburz

Original Member

deepest condolences