Lorne Lanning shuts down Oddworld Inhabitants

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Ratboy, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Ratboy

Original Member

2. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Totally, IP is where the money is. As long as he doesn't voice a lead character again (Stranger... *shudder*), I think it's a spendid idea.

3. tentons

Indie Author

I wonder how anyone could get a new studio started these days. Publishers seem to have a deathgrip on all creative and financial control.

I like that he's sticking to his guns (no pun intended).

4. merovingian

Original Member

While I am concerned for the people who moved their lives to San Luis Obispo (a town close to the events in the movie _Sideways_), I totally agree with where he's taking this.

A lot of stupid VC money is being thrown at anyone who can spin game development in the slightest original light. I imagine he's coming to the bay area to make that happen.

5. Batley

Original Member

I liked the first game they did but it always seemed to me that they put more effort into character design and the cgi bits then the actual game play.

6. Hamumu

Indie Author

Ain't nothing wrong with living in SLO! Those people are lucky!

7. Bmc

Bmc New Member

I'm sure most of them will need to move to get new jobs. Hopefully they got decent severance pay.

8. merovingian

Original Member

Yep, it's a fine, if somewhat conservative California coastal town. Right up until you lose your game development job and SLO turns into SOL. I would not want to be relocating from SLO to the bay area these days if I were past 30 or so and a homeowner. Seeing the price of Bay Area homes would make me pull my hair out (up 5% in the past month alone).

9. Sparks

Original Member

I hate it.I really do.
    This big business industry is really getting more and more absurd.
    Probably the revolution will eat its children, and the pendulum will swing back.
    I can't see this going on for some more years.
    The new generation of consoles will probably be so expensive to develop for that soon we will see a lot more of the "middle-class" studios die.
    It just can not be paid anymore.15 million for a game ? They must be kidding.
    And if its not the next new WW2-FPS, its not gonna be published.
    I hate it.
    Oddworld was a bright sparkling gem in this "next sequel, same gameplay" business. If done right, they could become a competition to Pixar and Dreamworks Animation.
    But I gotta admit that I would do the same as Lorne before I would give away my IP for a lousy EA deal.
    Stranger is a pretty cool game.EA sucks.

10. Pyabo

Original Member

Bah... Lorne's ego has been overinflated from day one. Good riddance.

11. Raptisoft

Indie Author

Hm, this kinda goes in with my theory that video game makers are starting to take themselves too seriously.

He'll have a tough time going to CGI movies. His stuff is not kid friendly. Kids are where the money's at in CGI movies.

12. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

I can sympathize with that. It is extremely frustrating to pour your heart and sweat into a game for one or more years and then have a publisher not market the thing at all. And the stakes in the retail game industry are getting way too high. No one wants to take a risk on anything new when it coasts tens of millions of dollars to make a game.

I have no comment on the situation with Oddworld specifically. I am not saying it was a right or wrong thing for them to shut down. But they do point out some real problems in the industry.

13. Coyote

Indie Author

Man... it feels like an entire generation of game developers (those of us from the '90s) have pulled up their stakes and left the country. I feel somewhat relieved that many of us have found homes as indies. But I wonder if we're going to end up like Chris Crawford, voices in the wilderness that get marginalized until we eventually give up on the industry altogether in disgust.

In Lanning's case... well, I think he always had his heart set on doing CGI movies and TV anyway. Oddworld was just a roundabout way of getting there.

14. merovingian

Original Member

Hey, if you're doing what you love, what's so bad about being an indie?

I gave up on the industry a heck of a long time ago after I saw what a zero sum game it is for 99% of the developers out there, irrespective of talent.

And around the time I did so, a lot of Chris Crawford's cohorts left the game industry for the dotcom boom and lived happily ever after.

15. Valen

Indie Author

There's an interview with John Carmack from two years ago where he says that most innovation won't come from large titles because the AAA budgets are getting too big to allow much room for trying out innovative ideas. The quote is below, and the article is here.

16. digriz

Original Member

My own opinions about OddWorld Inhabitants are that their games weren't very good anyway. They looked absolutely beautiful, even back on the old ps1 but there was no real gameplay there.

Abe's Oddessy on the ps2 was a bad remake of a crash bandicoot game. Not very innovative at all.

I think it's a shame that he's got rid of 60 people. I guess loyalty and hard work doesn't get you much, apart of contempt and being stabbed in the back.

This may sound harsh but i'm getting more and more P**sed off by these self promoting narcissists justifying their reasons for crapping on people.

But when it's all said and done, i'm sure Lorne Lanning is sleeping on a pile of money in his new mansion.

In fairness to Oddword and Lorne Lanning, i don't know the full story. It's possible he could have given his employees a lot of notice about losing their jobs and they've all been given a hefty payout.

#16 digriz, Apr 19, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  17. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

To be in a position where you had $500,000 to develop each game, and this was a regular, sustaining thing... would be fantastic. You could do a hell of a lot with $500,000.

18. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Maybe you could, but the average game company.. by the time they finish paying for golf trips for the ceo's, booth babes, fancy hotel rooms at e3, they haven't even got that little opening movie you have to click through done!

19. digriz

Original Member

You forgot the first class airplane seats on all business trips. ;)

Man, i could tell you some stories about the things that go on in this business.

but i wont, i'd get sued.

20. Sparks

Original Member

Let's get back to those booth babes again.... :D