Loria : Rage of Chaos (Retro RTS)

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by AntonR, Jan 21, 2017.

?
  1. Yes! :)

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No! :(

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AntonR

AntonR New Member

[​IMG]
    Hello! To cut a long story short, I'm having a go at creating a game with a friend and would love some feedback so far on our project! (We're both really new to creating games so we're learning as we go...:))

Since we're both fans of RTS games, specifically the older generation, we decided to make Loria: a retro RTS with inspiration from old classics such as the original Warcraft series. We've been working hard to give the game a pleasing look and smooth gameplay - spending a lot of time researching and testing out different ways of doing things. The game will play much like other RTS games in the respect that the player will be managing troops, building castles and gathering resources - however, we want to add some RPG elements and fun, unique, game-modes (secret ;)).

<UPDATE>
    We now have downloadable demo on our website, and we have just launched on steam greenlight! Be sure to give the demo a shot and vote for us on greenlight!
    </UPDATE>

A video introducing the project:

Here are some screenshots:​

[​IMG]
    Showing off characters and effects

[​IMG]
    Workers gathering wood and gold, also showing off the "outside" tiles

[​IMG]
    A pretty dungeon

So, what are your spontaneous thoughts? :)

We're on facebook, twitter, youtube and we have a website (http://loriagame.com/) if you want to check out the project some more!​

Regards,
    Anton

#1 AntonR, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Simon Hanna Music likes this.
  2. L.C.Nohansen

L.C.Nohansen New Member

Hello ! I'm the "spontaneous thoughts" perso, here on spontaneous thought-sprinkling duty !

To keep things simple, I'll just sort this feedback into "plus and minus" points, that is, the stuff that struck me as interesting and having potential, as opposed to what seems worth improving and reflecting upon, in my humble opinion.

- On the plus side, we have :

- Sweet visuals ! There's good coherence between the various assets you've made, the characters, scenery, hud and animation all blend well together, and the in-game character models have a really lovely Fire Emblem feeling to them (which is great for a first game !). The backgrounds are very detailed and cool-looking, too.

- Animation is cool and fluid, and seems to run smoothly, with pleasant sprites

- The player hud is very clear and seems pleasant to use.

- The game looks like it has a lot of variety and depth to it !

- On the minus side, we have :

- ...the name. Maybe it's just me but "RAGE OF CHAOS !!" sounds a bit...silly, in a way that makes your game look lower-tier than it is :p
    "Loria"'s a good name for a franchise, though.

- Maybe the sword-swinging animations are a little stiff...?

- The audio - is the music in the trailer you made a royalty-free track or something a composer created for you ? I don't wanna be rude to anyone but, in my (very subjective and personal) opinion, it sounded quite bland, generic and forgettable. Also, the sound FX for the combat was good, but maybe a very little bit too loud compared to the rest !

There you go - I hope that helps !

3. AntonR

AntonR New Member

Hello @L.C.Nohansen,

Thank you for taking the time to write down some thoughts! It is greatly appreciated.
    I'm glad that you liked the visual style, we have been working hard with artists and using our own (limited) skills to really try to create a coherent and - well - pretty style.

I do agree with you regarding the name... We have been through hundreds of names, most of them rather dorky. Perhaps just using "Loria" is sufficient? ("Chaos" are the villains in the game)

All the music is actually purchased from a composer... It wasn't meant to be an in-game track. Perhaps it was a poor choice, I just wanted something simple and not too invasive playing in the background .

Once again, thank you for giving us some feedback!

Regards,
    Anton

4. L.C.Nohansen

L.C.Nohansen New Member

You're welcome, I'm glad if my input was of any help !

Since you're asking, I must say I personally prefer "Loria" alone. If it ain't bad, why change it ? :p (Though I'm sure there's good sub-titles that can be found for it, so really, that's up to you folks).

Maybe "poor choice" is a bit harsh on the composer, haha. It -is- simple and not too invasive as you said, so it does the work you intended for it to do (so, all in all, the composer -did- their job) ! My grief with it was that you can be simple and non-invasive while retaining flavor, depth and personality - like background music for games like the Civilization series or Starcraft 2 are doing. Admittedly, they're not -actually- simple, but they have something memorable to them and they're not intruding on your gaming experience, rather "staying in the back seat", haha.

Best regards !

5. AntonR

AntonR New Member

Exactly... We will give it some thought, simplicity might be preferable in this instance.

As for the music, check PM :)

Regards,
    Anton

6. Ioanna

Ioanna New Member

Hello,
    It's interesting, I think, I'll play it, so please finish. =3

7. AntonR

AntonR New Member

<UPDATE>
    We now have downloadable demo on our website, and we have just launched on steam greenlight! Be sure to give the demo a shot and vote for us on greenlight!
    </UPDATE>

8. AntonR

AntonR New Member

<UPDATE>
    The future of Loria is in your hands!

We would like to take this opportunity to once again thank you all for your support and interest in our game. We have been working very hard to polish up core features and add more content. The next step for Loria is now the crowdfunding campaign which will give us the financial possibility to finish the game. Be sure to head over to our campaign on Indiegogo to get your copy of Loria whilst helping us continue with development.

Head over to our Indiegogo campaign now!
    </UPDATE>

9. Robharvey

Robharvey New Member

This looks great. I think thought you'll get a bigger bang for your buck with some fairly strong soundtrack elements in the background. Had a quick look over your indigogo videos, and I think it's looking amazing, but needs those singable theme elements in there. The same way you remember all of the Final Fantasy Mystic Quest music and why I still sing the first Zelda game in my head when trying to get to sleep!

Simon Hanna Music likes this.
  10. Lainur

Lainur New Member

Animation is pretty cool and all graphics looks juicy and colorful:)

11. Toskigi

Toskigi New Member

I really have to say, that's some great pixel work. Who does the pixeling if I may ask?

12. Simon Hanna Music

Simon Hanna Music New Member

Bringing back the RTS Genre!! Keep it up and best of luck!

ps. the art is fantastic. Kudos to the artist.