Looking to build a small, casual team of novice/intermediate level devs.

Discussion in 'Help Wanted (UNPAID AND PROFIT SHARING)' started by projeknul, Nov 28, 2016.

1. projeknul

projeknul New Member

Greetings, all!
    Call me Ishm- I mean Projeknul.

Why are you doing this?
    I've been developing games at a very lacklustre, on and off pace for the longest time. And honestly, I'm still quite mediocre at what I do.

Okay, scratch the flowery language; I am pretty freaking terrible at it.

However, in recent weeks, I've decided to start properly focusing on game development again. After my returning to GMS 1.4 in the wake of a lengthy gamedev hiatus, my inescapable love for making things has been reawakened, and spectacularly so. Apart from that, I also have a love for working with talented, creative folk.

So irregardless of my terribleness, I wish to find a small group of wonderful internet peeps with whom I can make cool stuff, and grow as a programmer, composer, artist and game designer.

Of course, this would classify as being more of a hobbyist team/shared interest group, rather than a full-fledged remote studio. So obviously, not paid.

Okay. Sounds pretty rad. But which tools do you use? What role would I fill?
    Well, preferably GameMaker Studio 1.4 (I do not yet own the full version of GMS2; I'll probably get my hands on it as soon as I finish up my tests next month, but it could also take way longer). Of course, I'm open to learning other engines (like Unity). And while I do intend on starting up with Unity at some point, for now GameMaker Studio works just fine.

As for what role you need to fill... well, any! I can do a lot of things (all mentioned above) but my weakest area by far is programming. So having an intermediate level programmer on the team would definitely be a help.

Alright, brave traveller. Sign me up.
    Great! If you want to get in touch, you can:
    • Drop me a line on Skype: marnus.hayes
    • Inbox me right here on Indiegamer, or reply to the thread.
    I'm on the CAT (+2) timezone.

We can set up things like VoIPs and such via IM. But just to list some (note the 'some' I've got there; this isn't the end all, be all for me... so feel free to give your own suggestions!) VoIPs and collaborative apps that I do use/wouldn't mind to use:

• [Bench]
    • Slack
    • HipChat
    • Trello
    Also, here's a bit of pixel art I've made, just so you can see something I've done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

See ya!

Projeknul :D

#1 projeknul, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  2. WildG

WildG New Member

So you have an project in mind?

3. projeknul

projeknul New Member

I've been working on a small top-down action-adventure prototype (vaguely a la LoZ) that I've been thinking of turning into a small project. Something with a semi-linear storyline and progression featuring simple, snappy mechanics. I haven't got a lot written just yet (I've got player animations for attacking and running, an attacking state with basic combo functionality, screen shake, tweened camera, less than 12% of a single tileset, and a stupid bat enemy that idles around and that I've yet write a charging state for).

My code is currently a barely commented mess of poor variable naming conventions. If you have a specific preference for code practice, lay it out for me and I'll start cleaning up my code ASAP.

Thanks for replying! :D

4. WildG

WildG New Member

Ok. Even tho I want something like you mentioned in my game I've started from another angle: I've been developing an engine that is nearing my set MVP. Take a look, see if you like it and if it's something you would want to work with. The direction it goes after this phase depends on who is doing it with me so there will be room for ideas other than mine. :)
    http://www.universeatarms.com/maps.php

Its still buggy but I'm working on fixing it.

You say your a coder. What do you code in? You build websites? Where are you from? Do you like chocolate? :D

Cheers

5. projeknul

projeknul New Member

So you've been developing your own engine? That's interesting. I'll take a look.

Well, I use the term 'programmer' very tentatively; I'm still learning. I have a decent bank of knowledge in GML, and right now I am learning JavaScript and C# (with much more of a focus on JavaScript). I know markup languages like HTML, CSS and SCSS as well, but hey those are just markup languages... soooo they don't really count. So I suppose that answers your first two questions... the answer to the second one being that I can just do basic front-end for the time being.

I take it you're pretty experienced, developing a custom engine and all.

Also, I'm from South Africa. And yes. Chocolate is life.

Okay, no, that's a massive exaggeration. Anyway. How about you?

6. WildG

WildG New Member

I'm from Brazil. A LAMP programmer in short. Been working on e-commerce websites since forever. About a year ago I started learning Javascript. Tried to make games with PHP a few but this is the first time I have the language needed for a graphic engine (JS).

Chocolate is fine but prefer a nice slice of bacon. :)

Let me know what you think of the engine...

7. projeknul

projeknul New Member

Oh cool! I'm going down a learning path that focuses on MEAN stacks, though I have a genuine interest in literally everything in programming.

Of course. Bacon bests all. ;)

So far there aren't a lot of takers for joining my team/collective :(

8. WildG

WildG New Member

" I am pretty freaking terrible at it."
    Well saying you suck aint exactly the best way to attract ppl. ;p

9. Sitatop

Sitatop New Member

Anything set in stone yet? I could do some pixel art for the project.

Personally I really enjoy games like Don't Starve - more survival-like games with more of an open world. So creating assets for such a game would be awesome.

10. projeknul

projeknul New Member

Hahahaha, that is true.

Sadly, I must learn again that honesty isn't always the best policy.

Imagine this:

"Here at Google, we seek only the best of the best. So, a minimum of four years at a university like Stanford and at least three years of experience as a full-stack engineer is required. Then, you and a whole bunch of other overqualified folks will get to remove flagged videos off of YouTube! Or act as tech support for people using Google Ads!"

Again, just an exaggeration, but this does happen...

Nothing is completely set in stone; not the projects, not the name, nothing. I'd like to work with the team/collective. I'd like to know what they want to make, so that everyone can help each other to make those games. Of course, I have some projects in my head that I'd like everyone to work on but still: I want the whole thing to be team oriented... that's the priority. So if you want to make a survival game, you, me and a few other peeps can throw together a quick prototype, and then expand upon that.

So far, I've had one (very good) composer who has approached me with an interest in joining, just in case you're interested in knowing who might be onboard.

Let me know if you're interested in joining, and if you are, inbox me your email so that I can send you a HipChat invite and maybe start discussing ideas, etc.

Good to hear from you :)

11. WildG

WildG New Member

Hello.

Nothing set in stone. The graphics in there is what I built myself (me = NOT an art guy) or scavenged in open image libraries. I'd love to see what you got and be happy to include it in the engine.

True. Well we'll just have to test these skills of ours won't we? :D

Anyways I am also trying to assemble a team. Not really sure how to go about it. Was going to wait until I fixed a few bugs but I guess Hijacking projeknul's post got the best of me. Sorry bout that btw. lol

12. WildG

WildG New Member

I just realised i was passing the link around with no playable game online...
    You guys gone quiet... we still talking? :p

13. Meti

Meti New Member

Hi, My name is Meti Ruka and I'm a Game and Screenplay Writer. I have been writing for almost a year, been writing couple game storys which i will show you. My favorite genres are Action/Sci-Fi which i adore them. I wana be part of the team that we can all be proud of its release. If you think i can be in your team, send me a message in my email and we can talk through if not best luck on the project.

http://docdro.id/RMVAWmG Marines Story
    http://docdro.id/WVh2ZFj Aliens Story

E-mail: 4kmeti@gmail.com

Thank you.

14. SallyTheSeabird

SallyTheSeabird New Member

15. Ayushman Bilas Thakur