Looking for some advice on details, what is too much or too little?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by DorkyDamsel, Nov 20, 2016.

1. DorkyDamsel

DorkyDamsel New Member

So I am in the midst of writing the story for my game. I have no experience in being a developer of a video game, but I am a writer. I am not sure how to tell how much detail is too much, or if I am not adding enough. I don't know if I am making a movie or a video game anymore. I still am in LOVE with this story. I am excited to expand on it every time I write it, and I am excited for others to be able to play it some day. Certain details I am really excited about writing but some of them don't pertain to the main aspects of the story/game, but I don't want them to go unnoticed... I'm not sure what I am asking exactly, but any and all advice or comments would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

2. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

What's your question?

3. DorkyDamsel

DorkyDamsel New Member

I think I am just looking for opinions on what anyone thinks about a games details. I have a LOT of detail currently and I am not even near done writing. Is there such a thing as too much detail in a game, or too little?

4. kevintrepanier

5. kevintrepanier

At this point you should just make it happen in some interactive form. If you like writing, maybe you could try making Twine games? There's a huge though underground scene for interactive text based fictions. It's very fun to work (for the little I've did with it) with and you don't have to worry about complex programming stuffs and expansive graphics.

Writing and planning is good but when you get to develop the actual game, you always find out that most things you've planned just don't come out the way you thought they would. And you have to re-design most of it. So make plans but get to work as soon as possible, try your ideas, let someone play them to see how they react, then make another plan. Etc..

DorkyDamsel likes this.