Looking for detailed critique on a composition: Wild West Theme

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Jed Crouch, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Jed Crouch

Jed Crouch New Member

Thanks for checking it out. Looking forward to your replies! Feedback is everything to me :)

2. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

I'm not a very good musician. What kind of critique are you looking for? You have any specific question?

3. Jed Crouch

Jed Crouch New Member

The strength of the melodic content / The quality of the mix/master / Whether the theme is suitable

The idea is to point out something that needs improving! And of course, being a trained musician will help with that.

4. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

I've listened a second time. I may lack the right words to explain but I feel like it lacks a strong "chord" base like a rhythmic guitar for example. Every line is a single note at a time melody. The melody and rhythm sounds fine but it doesn't have much "depth" in the sound. I'd say it's the harmony and sound environment that are weaker (I could imagine a chorus of male voices for example to dress it up, or echoing gun-shots-like sounds to add a few surprises).

Hope this can help.

Preyor likes this.
  5. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

I actually like the melody and didn't mind the emptiness feeling that comes from this limited arrangement since it can reflect the loliness on the prairie. What I don't like is the sound of guitar and flutes. There is also bass in the background which on small speakers is almost unnotice'able (I hear it better in the last part). The odd thing is also the wind in the beginning which is also so quiet that I wasn't sure if it is not just a background noise that come from bad recording. And at some random point it just disappared. In my opinion you should make it much louder or remove it completely.

It is not a bad tune in my opinion but it could benefit from nicer guitar sound, better arrangement and some corrections in the mid part.

6. Jed Crouch

Jed Crouch New Member

Yeah my compositions can sometimes be sparse in the upper-lows, I tend to forget about it!

Also I agree about the guitars, I just used logic stock samples for this one. Also, I will be recording a guitarist for the rhythm patterns. As for the background noise, it is meant to be quiet, and makes up for a lack of a busier arrangement in the 1st section. It drops out again when the arrangement fills up.

Cheers for the reply, I'll work on it!

kevintrepanier likes this.
  7. Preyor

Preyor New Member

The note progression and timing is great, but I feel as though its considered more as a "southern solo" than a western rhythm.

Mainly because it lacks said rhythm, the notes have no apparent home, they're more or less just strummin' along, so to speak.

What you can do to fix this is add a background chord progression to work as a "home" for your notes. Basically, everytime a note and a chord overlap, they should be the exact same note.

For example, say you have a progression of Am, C, and Dm playing a consistant rhythm similar to your melody, every first note and chord of the pattern should be Am/A. The melody continues and a melodic fashion, until you come upon the next chord, which is C, with a pluck of a c note.

Or you can dig a little deeper and use octives and accents to give it a little more power, but thats more or less not needed in most cases.

You also don't need to keep the chord progression in the final version of the song, its mainly just to give you a visualization of what notes to use and where.

As I've mentioned above, I'd recommend you to use octives when you want to repeat a melody at a lower or higher pitch (Referencing to time 1:00), itll give it the same exact sound but higher/lower, otherwise it sounds rough and odd, as simply changing it by a note or two puts the melody into a different scale with different notes resulting in, as stated before, a rough and odd sound.

Drums would be great too, if you wanna add a little bit more power to your song. Not exactly needed though.

With that said, its good, great actually. The song itself could use some work, but you obviously have an ear for music and I know with a little bit of tweaking here and there, this song can be exctasy for a western soul.

8. Jed Crouch

Jed Crouch New Member

Hey thanks Preyor, some good tips there :) Definitely got some things to work on here.