Looking for all critiques!

Discussion in 'Music & Sound Portfolios' started by eppskevin, May 24, 2008.

1. eppskevin

Original Member

I've done two new tunes and I'm looking for all kinds of feedback from the public to make sure that I'm on the right track of becoming a better composer.

These two will be in my new game, Space Renegades 2 Remix, that's scheduled to come out later this year(7/2008). I'm redoing some of the music to give it more of a fun filled 2D arcade space shooter feel. To me, anyway, music plays probably the highest role in getting your players engaged into the game, outside of the gameplay itself. Please let me know anything you can. I can take whatever you dish out. This isn't an ego stroker, I REALLY want to become a better composer, but won't know if I'm doing goo d or not without feedback from other musicians and the general public.

The first tune is for one of the stages(Could you hear this over and outer space or land stage?):

http://www.unitedmindsgames.com/music/space_renegades_remix/new5_23_08_2.mp3

The next tune is the boss music:

http://www.unitedmindsgames.com/music/space_renegades_remix/new_5_28_08_boss_3.mp3

You critiques are all appreciated!

2. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Well, the two tracks are nice. In fact, they could be the background tracks for two different stages of the same area.

The second (boss) track doesn't sound like a boss track. The instrument for the melody should at least be different than the first track, possibly a Siren and/or a guitar.

Also, you should use a different style for the melody. It sounds like you are using the same technique of running up and down the scale (using similar scale sequencing techniques). Try using a different scale (maybe a pentatonic) or some chromatic licks. Also experiment with wider distances between the notes besides relatively close, perhaps a circle of fifths or arpeggio distances (like going down the scale with the notes of one chord and coming back up on the notes of another ).

Finally, experiment with melody syncopation for the Boss. It adds a little stress. Lead out with silence and a siren, then fade into the boss music, like Sonic the Hedgehog.

3. MrBear

MrBear New Member

I think that maybe some of the chosen instruments sound to much like MIDI. Also I would make the drums a little lower, since in game music is meant for background. Thats my opinion though.

4. eppskevin

Original Member

Thanks so much, jpoag! I knew it was missing something but couldn't really see outside of what I had done. I'll look into all that you said. Sometimes it just needs outer views. I'll work on it and repost when I'm done.

MrBear,

That's actually the type of sound I'm going for. I want this game to have that semi-old school 2D arcade shooter feel with catchy game music that actually sounds like you're playing a game instead it sounding like you're watching a movie.

5. MrBear

MrBear New Member

If that was your intention, Good Job!

6. eppskevin

Original Member

Great, thanks!

I will ask for your help and guidance in my later games because they probably won't have much of a MIDI sound as this one, if that's ok with you. If you're available to help.

7. eppskevin

Original Member

8. oNyx

Original Member

Very retro. Sounds a bit like most dōjin games do. So, it will probably fit very well.

None of your tracks loop though. A simple Audacity looping tutorial can be found here:
    http://kaioa.com/node/47

Hm. Boss 3 and 5 are both very nice. I think I like 3 a bit more. Maybe you can use both versions. E.g. if you've to fight one of the bosses twice and the second time it's some necro-ed zombie/borg thing. :)

9. eppskevin

Original Member

Hey Onyx,

You make a very good point!!

I COULD do that! That actually makes my job a little easier that way as well.

As far as looping goes, thanks for that link. I was actually going to loop them but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm going to still take a look at that link, though.