Looking for advice on suitable engine

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by elements101, Apr 10, 2016.

1. elements101

elements101 New Member

Hiya, I'm a newbie looking for advice on what game engines would be good for a game idea I have.

I want to make a 2D adventure puzzle game with choice-based elements (multiple endings, some character death depending on player choice).

I could use something like Clickteam Fusion but I was hoping for something that would let me expand my coding skills. I'm thinking graphical elements in line with the PS1 adventure game Adventures of Alundra, where the player can move and attack freely alongside their party rather than anything turn based.

I know there's RPG maker (I think?) that To the Stars was built on, though I'd like to make the backgrounds quite unique, maybe even with a water colour style. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be nice to hear them!

I'm good with object oriented languages but my experience with physics engines and graphical rendering is limited.

2. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

Unity has evolved quite a lot for the 2D graphics. I use Unity and I'm quite satisfied so far.

You can look at it. This looks more for platformers.
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/2d-game-creation

RPG Maker seems a great solution for RPG games with the style of the console games of the 90s. It's less flexible, but it does provide a more direct solution with many assets already built in. I haven't tried it, but I already looked at it.

elements101 likes this.
  3. Curry_

Curry_ New Member

@GaiaDreamCreation Yes. When I started with gameDev I started with cocos2D because I thought Unity was only for 3d (it was couple years ago). Cocos2d was so intimidating for me (I knew nothing about programming or gameDev then) that I almost gave up completely on gameDev. Then I tried Unity and I was surprised how easy it was and how well it was going with 2D. And it's even better now. Long time ago to make 2D game in Unity you'd have to use some tricks with 3d objects, and that used a lot of processing power. Now Unity is very good engine for 2D.

4. Tarvin

Indie Author

There are also a lot of assets in the Unity store to help simplify game building like 2d platforming level editors and I'm sure thet have something for RPG games as well.

5. JMac

JMac New Member

Unity sounds like a good fit for you. For one thing, can you continue using it as your skills grow. There are several very high quality games being produced with Unity like Crowfall and some finished games like Kerbal Space Program making it great for beginners and pros alike. There are also more tutorials, assets, books and videos available for Unity than any other game engine that I know of. Many of todays colleges are teaching Unity including Ohio State, due it its ease of use and abundance of resources available.

6. chimmihc

chimmihc New Member

For 2D work, I recommend LÖVE.