Looking for a no fuss, no stress rpg maker :)

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by FiNiPa, Dec 2, 2010.

1. FiNiPa

Indie Author

Hi,

having done so much for web and programming recently I am now in the mood of creating a little rpg game. Does anybody know of a totally easy rpg maker, with all graphics included, working and simply fun? Free at best or cheap enough to play with it without remorce when dumping it.

I've looked at rgpmaker xp, but 640x480 res is much to small, especially on a higher resolution tft. And don't I have to use ruby? Novashell? Isn't this outdated? And uses Lua, not another language please. Python would be ok. But I would prefer to keep it visual. With the option to do some scripting if I want to. Windows-Platform.

A big bunch of free graphics is a must. I don't want to start drawing for the next months, before being able to make a little game. I don't know if I want to be able to sell it or not. It's mostly to do something different for a shorter period. Be creative with storytelling. Rest my technical brain.

Any ideas?

2. AdrianC

AdrianC New Member

3. Dri

Dri New Member

RPG Maker was around for a long time already and have a big community and a lot of resources available.

You don't have to use Ruby, the gameplay scripting is made with a graphical interface. Ruby is only if you want to expand the engine.

If you just want to create a game without a fuss, it's definitely the best candidate.

4. FiNiPa

Indie Author

Yes, it may even seem so. I have installed the trial-version. At least it works under win7. No 64bit though. It's a bit dated isn't it? But at least they are still supporting it. I hope to be able to translate it into german. At least there are many many resources.

I'll give it a try. Do you know if I can use the resources otherwise? Or only with rpgmxp?

Anybody else still using rgpmxp here?

5. Shaz

Moderator Original Member

You can't use the graphics from RMXP or RMVX outside of RMXP or RMVX.

There are several developers here who use one of these engines and have thriving player communities.

6. FiNiPa

Indie Author

Yeah, I was afraid of this ;) For a short moment I thought I could be using the resources with gamemaker or Unity3D. Unity3D would be cool, but I hate the GUI stuff. I want it easy, not too much technical brain ;) Relaxation..:eek:

7. ecruz

Original Member

i think it's fine as long as you have the license, this guy is using rpgmaker sprite for iphone game:
    http://www.srrngames.com/

8. FiNiPa

Indie Author

You mean Ash?, looks nice indeed. I didn't search through all rpgmaker sprites, but it seems as if the developer also used some homemade sprites and graphics. But I can be wrong.

Those rpg-graphics are what kills the flow when wanting to do a rpg.

I'll have a deeper look in the license agreement. If rpgmaker xp would have a higher resolution and would be platform independent and browser ready it would be the killer :)

Anybody using rpgmaker vx?

9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

That's why someone from these very forums is doing a Flash version of it ;)
    http://www.koonsolo.com/rpgeditor/

10. FiNiPa

Indie Author

yes I know, but I haven't noticed much progress since the truely great tilemap-editor-demo. Is it still active?

11. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes, but making such a tool takes lot of time :)

12. FiNiPa

Indie Author

Lots of time, I know ;) Didn't read of any new news since the last one, so I don't know how there is a progress. So, as long as there is no alpha or beta for me to play I will need to look somewhere else in the meantime.

13. Shaz

That looks interesting. Those are RPG Maker VX sprites. Do you know what that game was made with? They might have used Enterbrain's newest baby, Action Game Maker for that one. I just searched for pics from that engine, and the RPG games have a VERY similar look to RMVX.

FiNiPa, that one might be worth checking out:
    http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/product.html?prod=ig

choice of resolutions, ports to Flash and apparently playable on XBox.

14. FiNiPa

Indie Author

Seems very complex and NO scripting!! Uh, that's tuff, but I wanted it relaxing.
    I'll give the demo a try, but I'm not sure about the rpg-capabilities. But being able to make a Flash out of it, seems cool. But why don't they support Ogg and/or mp3?

15. Shaz

In theory, once you've exported it to Flash, you can play around with the code as much as you want. Just hope you don't have to go back into the engine afterwards and make a change or you'll have to do it all over again.

No support for ogg? That's a step backwards. I honestly don't know - I downloaded it and played with it for a while, wasn't thrilled, and haven't touched it since. But didn't you say you wanted something with NO scripting required?

16. FiNiPa

Indie Author

Well I'm actually trying out the demo, also found nice french site with lots of video tutorials. It's a weird little program, that's for sure, but I even managed to do a flash export without much problems, ans that is really nice.

I'll sure have to play with it some more, but maybe for doing small quick'n'dirty games it would be ok. I don't know right now. I'm not sure if I can really live without scripting at all ;) not even a little math. But the multilingual thing is nice. I can easily translate all the text in several languages.

And the flash export of course ;)

17. FiNiPa

Indie Author

Ok, I spent some time with IG Maker. As conclusion for me I don't think that IGMaker is for me. The flash export would have been very nice - it was actually quite simple to get it to work - but even one included minigame, didn't work 100%. Sure, I could walk aorund and shoot, but some important triggers didn't work. Reading in a lot of forums that the support is more or less equal 0%, bugs aren't handled, the english version isn't really suported, even 60$ seem to much. The initial idea of IGMaker is good, but I don't think I'm gonna use it. To much limitation, not even a really functioning flash export and no support or any feedback from the developers.

So either rpgmakerxp or gamemaker8, though I tend to rpgmaker for all its available resources and huge community.

But this is no final verdict, as looking for a tool is relaxation too ;)

18. whisperstorm

Original Member

Stencyl could make RPG's pretty easily, and with the flash export it could take you pretty far.

19. FiNiPa

Indie Author

Seems cool. Could also be a pretty dev environment for my kid. Unfortunately it's still in beta. I'll try to get into the beta for sure. This could really be something nice.

Thanks!

20. FiNiPa

Indie Author

Now this is really cool and nice, I'm in the beta :)

First impression: I like!

Second impression: I still like, could use some more performance, some examples are rather slow on my netbook, but at least I can work on my netbook. Can't do this with rpgxp vx...

Best thing, I can also code if I want, haven't looked into it much further though. Did some tutorials to become more acquainted with its philosophy.

Great news for all, public beta will start soon.

This could really become a very very nifty tool.

Thanks a lot whisperstorm for pointing me to this little gem!

And btw, it's also a great tool for actually teaching how to make games. Once I've got the hang of it I'll do a test drive with my kid.