Looking for a like mind, possible collaborator (LONG)

Discussion in 'Help Wanted (UNPAID AND PROFIT SHARING)' started by Iataa, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Iataa

Iataa New Member

Right now I am a lone developer (hopeful... developer) working on what is honestly his first game. I am an artist first and foremost, and have learned many programs including Blender, Zbrush, Substance Painter, Toon Boom Animate 2 (in the past), CAD (yrs past), Pyxel Edit, Gimp, etc. I can draw, animate (2D - haven't yet delved into that in 3D though it shouldn't be any big issue), can model, sculpt, texture and I am currently looking at making a top down 2D game, almost certainly pixel-based... hand animated (not bones like Spriter etc) and have successfully done some assets in the direction of what I am planning to go with. So I know I am able to do this. At present I already have a very good direction for the premise of the game and the basic framework of the story, though that part might be a tad bit basic for the interim. I still have a LOT of room for adding elements, locations, gameplay elements, etc. ...but I do have a good set of ideas and list of gameplay mechanics I intend to base the game on and build the basic sandbox of interactions from. Again, it has lots of room to grow.

Essentially I am looking for a possible someone who could, most ideally, compliment my abilities and perhaps shore up my weaknesses. The latter mainly meaning programming/scripting, parts of writing/story-world creation, as well as music. If I go full 2D sprite-based (90% sure) I intend on using Gamemaker Studio 2 for creating my game. That means I would have to learn GML or whatever it is called so it should be obvious to anyone worth their weight my thinking in this regard. That said, I am not at all afraid to learn, just a bit tired after already having run the gamut in the art department to evaluate all of my options over the past year non-stop (career included, not just for a game alone). But just fyi, an exclusion in these departments would not necessarily make or break any potential alliance. It just would be the easiest, or rather the most convenient, of all possibilities. What's truly important though, is the quality of the game and what one can contribute to the overall artistic beauty of the whole in some major regard.

There is also the matter of creative compatibility. In that area I am just going to list my favorite influences rather than state my personal idea flat out for now. I prefer to keep my cards a bit close to my chest until I am or would be more sure about anything more substantial. And honestly, this should be sufficient to give a general idea of what kind of game I might make anyway (at least I would hope so for any individual I could bring on board).

I'm most influenced by: Twin Peaks, Silent Hill 1 + 2, old school Nintendo/Mario Kart/Zelda, Halo 3, King's Field, other works of David Lynch, etc.

Beyond that I'm willing to say that I'm making a 2D ...forlorn sort of action adventure, heavy on the action ...and adventure for that matter, in that order (I'm not huge on heavy RPG elements or anything of the sort. And I don't really have plans on implementing any sort of thing like that).

So basically, I could use help with some writing, even art really, but especially programming and music (which I'm thinking will be chiptune to go along with *"hi-bit"* pixel-based artwork. Probably 64x64 for main character). But all in all, I could use any, meaning *any* combination of these skills, and depending on the individual I can see it being worth it no matter if it still means the need for me to pick up other duties as there is a true "spark" existing.

Now bear with me: I am NOT looking for any absentee individual who seeks a cut well beyond fair compensation (especially for that), only a passionate person instead, who will make a split even worth doing in the first place. Also not looking for someone who is unwilling to get their hands dirty in matters of actual production. In such I am looking for an equal.

I am not here to make somebody else's game. I am making THIS game that I have in thought LONG and hard to come up with, and finally decide upon doing. And not any one other than it. Since I am not looking to change my idea, I won't need incessant suggestions for alternatives, but rather compatible/complimentary "bricks" to *build upon* what I've already started and settled on. I realize a lot of this goes without saying (or should, considering the community) but I've got to the point where I feel I need to make it explicit and clear.

Finally, I realize this is all a bit vague, but I'm just doing this as a preliminary sort of thing - to test the waters and see the response... In the future as I get further along I will try again, if I still have any trepidation of going at all of it alone. And at that point with some actual substance for a bit of presentation to court potential talent. Obviously that would help. But as I've said, that would all depend... and right now this serves a fine purpose, however unproductive it might or might not turn out to be. I admit this is a bit sparse in certain ways and in that regard might not be all that alluring to many due to it.

Still, if there is any chance that what I have written has piqued your interest and you would like to see about a possibility of working together, then please introduce yourself through a PM, and tell me about why you think it would be a good idea to open up for a team-up. I think a good baseline for any kind of evaluation is whether one can maintain focus and follow instructions, as that just facilitates production obviously. And to give an idea of what you might be able to contribute, a good little question would be... "In your opinion, what are the Zelda games biggest weakness and how would you change the series as a whole to improve it if you could?" Answer it please in your contact to me. Also, since it is necessary, please include what kind of agreement pertaining to compensation you are looking for with your potential contribution and what exactly you hope that would be (read: if you can include what type of credit you would like in duties on the team that would help. Seriously... I know this part sounds a bit weird, but I've had problems with this before in previous collaborative attempts, and well it's just lets me know how you see your general role).

I have PLENTY of time to work on this. It is my only focus work-wise. But at the same time I am doing it all alone and have to start from scratch at this point (had other ideas that never fully manifested potential for a first outing - but they were still learning opportunities and on the stove of potential row of burners somewhere), so I am rather busy. And I have some other rather unfortunate complicated matters in life that tend to eat up time as well to boot so I am going to try to respond to anyone who answers (if anyone answers...), but please be patient in the case that it takes some hours. That said, I am a bit skeptical about the whole possibility considering past experiences. Though it wasn't with truly passionate individuals like those around here, so who knows. It could be totally different. However it goes though, if you made it this far then thank you for your time, and to everybody out there, happy game-making :)!!! CHEERS!

2. Bhavin Hariya

Bhavin Hariya New Member

Hey, I am passionate about game making, don't have any formal training or experience with game making neither do I know how to code or do animation. I can help you with story/writing part (which I am good at).
    Do let me know if this interests you. Cheers!!!

3. Iataa

Iataa New Member

Hey Bhavin, sorry I actually just hooked up with someone in that singular regard actually. Thanks for your interest though, and hope you find a good project to be a part of!!

4. Bhavin Hariya

Bhavin Hariya New Member

No problem and all d best for your project

5. Coldjazz

Coldjazz New Member

Hello. I'm a musician currently trying to build a portfolio in the video game area.
    I already composed a few tracks for games that sadly didn't get made.
    http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/765119
    I would be really interested to compose chip tune style music for your game.
    Let me know if this interests you.

6. PotatoBoss

PotatoBoss New Member

Hey man, i like that alot. I don't have a game to offer for you to work on, but i'm am currently working on a webcomic using a soundtrack for some animations (http://dimensionjump.webcomic.ws/). We already have 5 albums so far (https://dimensionjump.bandcamp.com/music) and we are always looking for more, if you are interested please let me know!

7. Coldjazz

Coldjazz New Member

Yes I would be down !
    My mail address is bicolas.nianco@gmail.com
    Write me a mail so we can discuss what you need and how you think the collaboration should go.