Little noob but great idea !

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Ragnagna22, May 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ragnagna22

Ragnagna22 New Member

Hello,

Have you ever played a game and though "Damned !! I wish I had created this ! This is the type of game I would have like to imagine & create" (actually this work with basically anything, not just games). For the first time I m thinking of this about something I have come to imagined !

So yeah... I am a total newbie at coding and I've never created a game before.

BUT I've always been told that the most difficult part of creating something is having a good idea, skills come next !

AND I've a terrific game idea ! I have come to imagine a full game, though about every elements of gameplay, game design, graphics, contents and I have the feeling that it would make a really popular game. Like the one who could explode crowfundings ! Seriously... just thinking about this game makes me so enthousiastic !!!
    I am not a video game creator but... I am a creative soul (music, board games, paintings, beer, short films etc...) and I have never been that enthousiastic about one of my ideas.This one could actually make something that people would love (and pay for it :eek: ?).

So a simple question to you :
    How could I make this idea real ?

I know a lot of easy-access game creation software are available nowadays so I wonder if I could just jump in creation and start my project alone ?

Or maybe I could ask someone to help me, maybe a passionated creator is just waiting for a new game idea and would be willing to work with me (Of course I couldn't pay him but... share the work and profits (if profits there are) 50 - 50). If they are such wonderful people, where could I find them ? (here ^^ ?)

Whatever happens, I would need help, directly (partnership) or indirectly (forums etc...). It's a stupid question but... I know that ideas are precious.
    How much should I pay attention of not having my idea stolen ?

Well, I hope these questions are not too stupid. Even if I never have created any game before, I have though of many and for the first time I have this deep feeling that this game idea is great and could make both a good and a popular game (if well done obviously).

I wish I could tell you about my idea but as you have read before... so far I'm a little bit precautious about telling everything on a public forum ^^ (Don't blame me I ve already been stolen an idea, not game related).

But without saying too much... this game would be a 2D physics-sandbox.

Thank you for reading this (& answering ^^) !

Ragnagna

#1 Ragnagna22, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    vnphadao likes this.
  2. DukeofRealms

Administrator

First of all, I love the enthusiasm!

Here's what Derek Sivers (sold his business for $22 million) had to say about ideas.

You can read more about that in his article.

CGE5nJZWMAA_y3t.jpg Put this into consideration!

vnphadao and Scoper like this.
  3. Ragnagna22

Ragnagna22 New Member

Yes maybe you are right.... er... i'm just not sure about this but well...

... so far I would like to work on the idea first and start prototype myself. In this way I would also be able to show you some stuff (and not only text) when I ll tell you about it :)

I would like to make something quite similar to hammerfight

(i.e. I m not yet telling you everything but.......so .....yeah ^^)

The MAINNNNNNNNNNNNN difficulty would certainly be to work on the physics !

Could you advice me a good software to start with ? Knowing that I'm a poor little noob* (i.e. cheap or free intuitive software).
    If someone wants to know more about it and get involved, that would be Super F Great

"I used to play around with unity that hastened at my call
    But when I met that little geek I knew that I would fall

Poor little noob, oh yeah, I was a noob, uh huh
    (Uh huh, poor little noob, I was a noob, oh yeah)..."

vnphadao likes this.
  4. Wizzy

Wizzy New Member

Being enthusiastic about a game idea is great, I wish i was like you, I had a lot of ideas that I scrapped because either I thought it won't be seen great to people or just take too long. Me, myself have this great idea, but I'm skeptical on making the game, I have good experience in game development though.

And to answer your question, Unity has good physics in 3d and 2d, but it is also a free engine, so no need to pay no fee. Also because you are a noob, there is a huge community that can help you, if you don't know how to code something or do something just search it up, 99% chance a person already asked how to do that thing.

Plus you can't really jump in creation straight away, you will need to have an idea in programming, because games are driven by code. You don't have to completely have knowledge in the programming language, but just an idea of things like syntax of the language will help.

vnphadao likes this.
  5. Sponge

Sponge New Member

I agree with Wizzy, unity is great. But you said you might want to sell it, and unity has a policy were if you sell over $100,000 in the last fiscal year then you need to buy the professional version.

vnphadao likes this.
  6. Scoper

Indie Author

In my experience, it is the other way around. It is said that "ideas are a dime a dozen". There are plenty of succesful games that are built on an unoriginal and uninteresting idea, but are succesful because of their execution. And you will get nowhere with your brilliant idea if you lack the skills to execute (or the persistence to learn those skills).

You will need something good to persuade anyone to work for you. offer to pay them, ask your personal friends for help, show off a really cool demo you made, have a track record of producing highly succesful games...

Absolutely none whatsoever. Quite the opposite in fact. You should be doing everything you can to convince people that your idea is awesome.

vnphadao likes this.
  7. UltLolwut

UltLolwut New Member

You know, I feel the same way.
    Since 2013, I've been "developing" an idea for a game inside my head. A 3D Action RPG, to be exact. A SciFi theme set in a modern day style open world, with some fantasy elements such as magic. Thing is... It's rather ambitious. With all that I have in mind...

...Thus taking me to this forum. To continue this dream, I thought that the best choice would be to start a dev team and if needed, start from the lowest possible and eventually get high enough to build large scale projects. Now, I did start one, but I guess that's not the topic for here.

vnphadao likes this.