Little Gods -- Ninja release!

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by tentons, Aug 22, 2005.

1. tentons

Indie Author

Grim Inventions is happy to announce the "ninja" release of Little Gods for PC. It's ninja-sneaky because this isn't the official release, but it's the same product for the same price. Many things yet to finalize such as web art, info pages, etc, but version 1.0.0 is done.

Please try the demo (or send a friend along to try it). 8.7MB, with the following minimum specs:

* Windows 98/ME/XP
    * 800mHz CPU
    * 32MB video with OpenGL or Direct3D support (latest drivers highly recommended)
    * 128MB system memory

We do recommend something a little beefier. There is some love coming for Mac users within a week, I hope, so please hold on a little longer!

Affiliates are encouraged to inquire, but we probably won't be ready for that until the middle of next week or so. If you email me (or use Plimus to request), I'll certainly be in touch.

Thanks to all who've helped us along! It's been a huge learning experience. :)

#1 tentons, Aug 22, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  2. lakibuk

Indie Author

Something seems to be wrong with your homepage.
    Windows XP, IE 6.0

Attached Files:

• grim.jpg
      grim.jpg
      File size:
      17.1 KB
      Views:
  3. Nikster

Original Member

xp + ie 6.0.2 and firefox both work fine here, unless it was fixed between last poster posting and me posting :)

4. tentons

Indie Author

@lakibuk: That would be the CSS barfing. :) You most likely can fix that by decreasing the size of your fonts. *sigh* Maybe I should be old-school and just use plain tables. More reliable, it seems.

5. lakibuk

Indie Author

Same effect with very small IE font size.

6. tentons

Indie Author

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look into this.

7. Yarlen

Original Member

I get a 404 error when trying to download the demo. :(

8. tentons

Indie Author

Hmm, try again please. I have updated it with some small tweaks, so maybe you had bad timing. Please let me know if you still have trouble, and thanks for reporting that.

9. revve

Original Member

Your website looks fine to me (busy downloading the demo). There is one thing about it that really irritates me - every time I click a link, it opens a new page. Hmmmm. I don't see an "annoyed" smiley.

10. tentons

Indie Author

It opens a new page?? I use Firefox, and it doesn't do that. But now that I'm looking, it does have some tags in there that cause this. *GGGRRRRR*

Sorry about the inconvenience. I'm going to have to dig into this CMS and get rid of these annoyances. Thanks for the report.

Edit: I think I made it less new-window-happy now. Gosh, that was annoying. Lesson learned: test with Internet Exploder more often!

#10 tentons, Aug 22, 2005
  11. Jim Buck

Indie Author

I use IE and don't get pages opened in a new window, but I also see the "lack of table" problem the others see.. even if I make my fonts as small as possible (using ctrl-mousewheel).

12. Sirrus

Original Member

It is a rather confusing game :)

13. tentons

Indie Author

@Jim: Bugger. I'll try to fix that.

@Sirrus: Can you explain what confused you, please? I'd love to know so we can improve it. Thanks for playing!

14. Sirrus

Original Member

Definately...

The interface was a bit confusing. At first I did not enter any text for my name and clicked Ok (or Enter) and it dropped me into the dimmed screen. I had no idea what I did wrong. Then I hit back and actually entered a name.

The overall starting screen was confusing - Suppose casual players aren't used to fighting game style selections (as in selecting your opponent)...

Once I was in the game, I kept trying to use the mouse. After I realized it was keyboard controlled, I started bouncing the ball but didn't understand what happens when I hit things in the middle of the screen.

It was a neat (and unique) game - but it may be difficult for casual players to grasp the abstract nature of it.

15. tentons

Indie Author

I'll make that more friendly.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean you didn't know what to aim for? Or you didn't know what to do in general, like how to score points? Could you elaborate on this for me, please? :) We might need an intrusive popup or two during the first game... hmm.

Thanks for taking the time to tell me about your experience. I've been with the game for a while now, and so I don't have any perspective from a new user's point of view, so this is valuable information!

16. bluejay

Original Member

I am with sirrus about the starting screen, I think there should be a default name there that the player can decide to keep or edit.
    the powerups are a bit confusing too, you hear the computer use a powerup but don't know which one, it would be cool to have a letter float out of your opponent when a power up is used.

overall an interesting game! :D

17. tentons

Indie Author

As good as done.

The icon of the power is next to the opponent's head (same icon you see when you buy it), and usually there is a visual effect as well: goo, smaller sized paddle, larger paddle, fire, snowflakes, etc. The only exception is with Quicken, but I'll probably add some kind of visual for that. Also, each power has a unique sound for starting and when its effects end.

Thanks!

EDIT: I also wanted to point out that you can play the game without using any powers at all. The core mechanic is simply to score points against your opponent just like classic Pong. You can ignore everything else and still have a good time. The gameplay is really quite simple yet it seems to confuse the tarnation out of people.

Is it the interface? Lack of visual feedback? Lack of explanation? Anyone that can help me figure this out, I'll be grateful for a lifetime. :)

#17 tentons, Aug 22, 2005
  18. Martoon

Original Member

I think it's just that there's so much to see right away. The player/level selection screen, the help screen, everything. I figured out that I could just play the game like Pong, but I felt like I was at a disadvantage by not knowing what all that other stuff was. Is there any way you could introduce things gradually? Not even having them available or visible at first (in the help screen, interface, etc.), and unlock them level by level?

19. tentons

Indie Author

If the main problem is the complexity (I admit it has a lot of layers, but I like complex games), that is a solvable problem. So that's good to hear. :)

Do you think stopping the game as you play to explain it would help? For instance: a ball appears, the game stops, a box pops up to describe the attributes of the ball. Next, you hit the ball, it gets a colored halo, the game stops to explain what just happened. Would that kind of thing be useful?

I have a tutorial arena, but it was horribly boring with everything stripped out (introduced gradually) so I was attempting to not put it in for fear that people would get bored before they got to the "real" game. I'll gladly put it in there if you think it would help. Maybe it was boring to me because I've mastered the game.

Thanks for this therapy session. :) I really appreciate any help and feedback you guys can offer.

20. Kaos

Original Member

Site looks great, working fine with Opera 8. (IE sux, get a smarter browser!!)