Little Gods beta 1

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by tentons, Aug 11, 2005.

1. tentons

Indie Author

This is the first public beta for Little Gods, a pong sort of game for 2 players (or vs computer).

Requirements:
    Windows 98/ME/XP
    800mhz CPU
    64MB OpenGL or Direct-X compatible video card
    128MB RAM

Goodies:
    Download installer (~10MB)

Screenshot 1
    Screenshot 2
    Screenshot 3

Info:
    This is not quite a demo, but it's not a full version, either. It features 4 characters, 2 arenas, and all the power-ups. There are plenty of rough edges and a few minor features missing (and 1 game mode), so it definitely looks like a beta. If you can get past that, I hope you can give me some good feedback about gameplay.

Known issues include...
    - Some startup issues if you have stock Microsoft drivers for your video card. Updating drivers will fix it. (Sorry, no other workaround exists yet.)
    - Direct-X support isn't great. It works, but OpenGL is much better both performance-wise and visually.
    - Some sounds are missing, some art needs a bit more tweaking.
    - Descriptions of powers are 1st draft, hurried
    - Help screens are 1st draft, hurried
    - There's a bit in the readme about not distributing this version, but that really applies more to the closed beta. This slipped by me while updating that doc.

That's about it. Please don't blast me, etc. :) I'm a little nervous about unleashing this on the world, so I appreciate polite and constructive critique rather than time-wasting flames.

Thanks, and have fun!!

More info at the website.

2. jankoM

Indie Author

Hi, I was waiting for this one quite some tome. I really like the visuals, they are somehow different and speciall. I will serriously play the game tommorow, as it's 5:38 in the morning here and I really have to go to sleep, and hopefully give you some helpfull feedback.

regars,
    Janko M.

3. tentons

Indie Author

Last minute bug discovered, but there's an easy workaround:

If you're player 2 (right side of screen), you might find that your controls have vanished. To get them back, change profiles and then switch back to your profile and the controls will be reset.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

@Janko: Looking forward to your comments!

4. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

I think you need to make the UI more clear. I wasn't sure what to do when I first opened it up... I like the visuals and audio though.

5. tentons

Indie Author

Could you specify what it was that seemed unclear? Was it the character selection screen?

Edit: well I changed the "Choose Arena" button to a big "Play" button. Hopefully that will mitigate confusion. :) Thanks for the feedback.

#5 tentons, Aug 11, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  6. codeminion

Indie Author

Hello.

The visuals are quite original. I liked the music very much, it created a nice mytical mood. But I couldn't enjoythe game for long because I didn't know how to play and it all seemed very confusing to me.

I played a Match game (because i couldn't play the story mode), I really hope that the story mode includes some kind of a tutorial. (maybe there is a tutorial but I haven't managed to see it) I would really like to see it, I hope you will be posting with some newer version of your game here.

Best regards
    Konrad

7. tunca

Original Member

I hardly stopped playing. It was very fun :)

I found w and s by chance. You know most people do not read sub menus. You may show the keyboard settings menu before the match.

Another recommendation is to make a more clear game rules page. Maybe something like an interactive slide show with "next" buttons. That should ensure the gamer that s/he has understood all. This might be tough but it's very important.

8. tentons

Indie Author

Exactly as I suspected, the gameplay is complex in subtle ways that require explanation, and so it probably dumps you right into things head first. I guess the help screens didn't explain enough? I'll either add some more or finish the tutorial that I abandoned.

Thanks for the replies, and keep 'em coming.

9. Nexic

Indie Author

W and S for controls is probably a bad choice, why not have arrow keys or mouse instead?

Overall I thought it was fairly good, but most of the time the screen looked very cluttered and I found it hard to get my baring and work out exactly what I had to do. Like Mike said, you should probably clean up the UI a bit.

10. tentons

Indie Author

Player 2 (right side) controls are the arrow keys. And you can completely reconfigure either player's controls.

Is this in reference to the gameplay or the GUI?

Could you define "clean up" for me, please? :) Not sure what parts are giving you trouble. Would tooltips help?

11. tunca

Original Member

Maybe it explains enough but it is not presented well. Even this would be better to understand and make the gamer read it:

Sliding text 1 Bla bla bla
    OK Button

Sliding text 2 Bla bla bla
    OK Button

A few consecutive screens like above should be easy to make. Just an idea

12. Nexic

Indie Author

Well, in that case perhaps if there is only one human player, let them play using either w/s or up/down or mouse? So to move up you can either press w, or up, or move the mouse? Only when two human are playing do you need to strictly keep them to one set of controls.

I think the game as a whole a little cluttered, but the menu is more so.

The main menu is alright, it just the character selection screen that is a bit overgrown. The easiest thing you could do would be to make some obvious divides for each section of that screen. IE. put vertical divides left and right of the center menu, to set the menu apart from each player. Then divide up the player panels a little with a couple of horizontal divides. Then I wold change those transparent arrows to be a solid, no transparent colour so they are more obvious.

The background in the game is the thing that makes it feel the most cluttered. Unforunately the sprites don't stand out from it enough, and because of its complex nature it blends in with all the other objects. I would try to simplify it a lot (the waves are the most intrusive). Possibly by blurring the entire thing, or by making the lines less clear.

Overall it is actually a nice game, with a very personal feel to it. I really like the art and music (reminds me of wik). With a little work it could be something very special.

13. tentons

Indie Author

@Tunca: I will add more information to the How to Play screens. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ah, good idea! Thanks for the other thoughts, as well. We're revising.

14. tolik

Original Member

Love style which reminds me of Yoshi's Island. Love sounds and seashore sound, but it doesn't comply with background - it should be animated at least the way it's done in Worms.

Overcomplicated, overhardcored, just crazy and pure luck game.
    It MUST ask for profile to be created at start up.
    Swap left/right player controls. Implement mouse. Interface was so overbloated that I couldn't start the game from the first try. The game was crazy. It's not clear what's worth - lose a ball or get a bonus. Scoring is all over the screen.

IMO first levels should be tutorial levels. Show 1 power up in first level. Show another element in second one. Explain mana in third one. Don't just throw me into the killing spree!

15. tentons

Indie Author

Sorry it overwhelmed you. It is a bit like tossing you headfirst into sharks. But I do promise it isn't luck-based. It might seem so at first, but once I improve the instructions hopefully this will become evident.

Thanks for your comments! We'll work to address the things that frustrated you.

16. sparkyboy

Original Member

Hi Jason,

Looks like a cool game but I'm having a few probs!! :(

The direct link above does not work for me.It says it's saving but then just freezes(I can however download from other sites!!)

So I went to your site to download from there,but it won't register a new user for me!!!

Any ideas bud? Thanks in advance.

All the best

Mark.

New server worked great J'.Like the game a lot nice job!

#16 sparkyboy, Aug 11, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  17. Squidkip

Original Member

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum...

I did the graphics for Little Gods. Let me say I'm flattered by the praise, especially the comparison to Yoshi's Island!!! :D

I'm working on desaturating the backdrops so that the sprites and bricks stand out a bit more.

I also prefer playing the game in a small window. It keeps things crisp and makes it easy to monitor whats going on all over the screen.

18. electronicStar

Original Member

Hi Tenton I really want to enjoy your game because it seems it was made with love but unfortunately it's a bit too complicated to understand.
    First of all the gameplay is difficult to understand and I still don't know what to do. Conditions of victory and defeat should be very clearly defined from the start.
    I tried mashing the "invoke" buttons several times including when my "mana gauge"(?) was full but I never managed to use a spell voluntarily, it once fired off without my consent and I don't know why.
    You have been to great length to explain everything but I think you did a bit too much. You don't have to explain everything, some things should be made intuitive enough so that you don't have to explain them, the help screens are litlte too cluterred at the moment. One example is the victory counters, you shoudn't need to explain them, that would mean to choose a more explicit sprite for them than a little galactic crab.
    It is a paddle/ball variant and there's really no reason not to play it with the mouse, that doesn't make sense.

I really hope your game will have success because I like the ambiance and the graphics.

#18 electronicStar, Aug 14, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  19. tentons

Indie Author

That's a valid complaint, and I'll try to make it more clear at the start of a round.

This requires a little more explanation, but it's not unintuitive once you understand. I've created a help system that will teach players what's going on, along with pictures to illustrate.

First you purchase a power (press left/right to summon the "store", scroll through available powers that you have unlocked, press invoke to buy). To use the power after you purchased it, press invoke. You will see a targeting reticule (red or blue depending on which player you are) which you can move with left/right. It automatically selects the next/previous valid target(s) for that power. Press invoke once more to use it on the selected target(s).

Very good point. We'll fix that. I hadn't even considered that it would confuse people, but that's why we must do beta testing. :)

The character movement is speed-limited and affected by powers. If we allowed mouse movement it would seem very sluggish and awkward. I do not plan to implement mouse control, despite the fact that most games involving balls and bricks do. I've thought about it a lot and decided against it.

We're doing a lot of work right now to make all of these operations more clear in the upcoming beta 2, so thanks for offering your view of how to make it better. We really appreciate everyone taking the time to help us out!

(BTW, I have removed beta 1, so if you try to download it you'll get an error. Sorry for the inconvenience, but you'll have a chance when beta 2 rolls around in the next couple days.)

20. TamLin

Original Member

The game was mildly addictive at first. Now that I've finally figured out how to invoke powers, it's very addictive. I don't fit the profile for hardcore or casual gamers, so I don't know how that bodes for the success of your game, but I hope it sells well.