List software

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by techbear, Jan 9, 2008.

1. techbear

Original Member

For years I've made lists.

I'm not a very organized person, but when I have a complex task to get done (like making a game), I open a text window in my IDE and write a list of sub-tasks. I keep the file around, checking things off when they're done.

So, is there a cool tool that embraces this (admittedly primitive) way of organizing? Is there an organizational tool that I couldn't live without, if only I knew about it?

Thanks!

2. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I've tried a lot of list software, and a lot of it just didn't 'feel' right. Then I picked up Office 2007 and got stuck into One Note. It's so far from a perfect program it isn't funny, but the fact you open it, add a note and close it without having to worry about saving makes it the note taking program I can't wait to use.

Excel is also good if you need something structured, but... One Note has the flexibility I crave ;) It's a great note taking program for people who naturally aren't that organised, or who like to take notes in a 'not typically structured' way.

3. Backov

Original Member

I use ToDoList from Abstract Spoon, it's a fantastic tool for tree-style todo lists. You can easily remove all the features you don't use (it has a lot of stuff for scheduling, dependencies, etc) and it's just generally a good tool.

4. Spaceman Spiff

Original Member

I also use TodoList from abstract spoon. In some ways it is smiliar to treepad, but with more of a focus on tasks as opposed to organizing information (treepad has node checkboxes, but they are almost an afterthought).

I use both, which I guess means that no one program has all the features I want.

5. tafty

Original Member

I've used List Pro for Windows and Pocket PC (there's also versions for Palm and Smartphones too) which allows creation of customisable lists of sub-lists. Definitely worth a look.

6. Arex

Arex New Member

I use wiki and Programmers Notepad 2. :)

I have tried loads of software but in the end the simple and fast to use ones were the best choice for me at least.

7. mot

mot
    Indie Author

Excel or just a piece of paper.

Some IDEs can search your source code for // TODO comments and list them all together in a single window, which is good for little things concerning the source code.

8. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

I think ms devstudio allows you to do the // TODO thing ...

I've tried various solutions for organising game projects, and sub-tasks.

I currently favour using a good quality, hard-bound, A4 notepad. Infact, 2 of them. One is for a more distant over-view of an entire project. The other, I use a page per day to define all my tasks for that day, and I can tick them off as I go.

I really like the physicality of this solution, using my fave pen or pencil, and esp. as so much of game develpment is spent on a PC heyboard, it makes a nice change, good contrast, to use a pen and paper approach.

9. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

I use paper and pen, windows notepad, excel and my sometimes my own brain :)

10. Reactor

Using your brain? Pfft. No one does that anymore.

11. Backov

Original Member

Using your brain to maintain a list sort of defeats the purpose of having a list.

12. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Not if you can't find a pen and paper or not near keyboard tho heh :)

13. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I use Excel and paper and notepad at the moment but I'm wanting to upgrade to an application that has more options like tree views, sorting based on priority or completion date etc. I also want short and long descriptions so I can browse the short ones quickly. Keep the recommendations coming please. You know what the apps mentioned above are missing? A simple slideshow sowing them in action!

14. 1EyedJack

Original Member

I use the "To Do"-list that comes with the free rainlendar calendar-application. You can sort tasks based on start/end-date, priority, category and status, but it does not have a tree-view. You can also set a progress-percent for each task. The "To Do"-list is viewable on your desktop all the time.

Check it out:

http://www.rainlendar.net/

15. Reactor

I found one small bug, but that's a great app! Thanks for the link. I have Outlook, but I was after something quick and easy to use.

16. Jesse Aldridge

Original Member

I started using Tomboy a couple of months ago and am quite happy with it. It's really simple to use and has all the features of a standard text editor. The feature that really sold me was that if type the title of another note in the text of a note, the text automatically becomes a hyperlink that you can click to open up the other note.

Linux only, though.

17. Jesse Aldridge

Original Member

Oh yeah, and Freemind is also good. It's "mind-mapping" software, which just means you create a tree of text nodes.

18. Reactor

Wow... Abstract Spoon's ToDoList has turned into something of a monster since I last used it. A good monster, but a monster of an app none the less.

I love the time-tracking. That'll come in handy :D