LinkedIn and Ecademy members

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by ManuelMarino, May 15, 2007.

1. ManuelMarino

Original Member

Hello, any LinkedIn and Ecademy members here?

I'm trying to expand my network, that at the moment is really huge, but I want it bigger :)

My Connections : 2,953
    Two degrees away : 658,600+
    Three degrees away : 4,542,000+
    Total users I can contact through an Introduction : 5,203,600+

If you want help to reach publishers and professionals in the video game industry, I'll be more than happy to help ;)

Since I'm also a composer/producer, if you have time, check this demo reel at http://www.marinosounds.com/mix-for-movies.mp3

Let me know, thank you!

2. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

You've already told us all about this. 5 million. Well done.

3. TimS

Original Member

Hi.

Yes nice work there...

LinkedIn does sort of lose all value and meaning if you don't personally know the people you're connected to, right? :confused:

I mean if I ask you to forward a resume to someone you know very well... and that person hires me because you were the one doing the forwarding, and then I turn out to be useless and a jerk... that's no good.

I love LinkedIn -- but you've got to keep it in the context of what it's good for, in my opinion.

-Tim

4. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

Congratulations! You win!

Too bad you are playing the wrong game. It does loose all meaning when used this way.

5. ManuelMarino

Original Member

Third degree contacts are valuable because when my contact asked to be connect to someone where I need to go through one of my contacts to complete the connection -the thread has two "middlemen" that know each other bringing a quick credibility.

Works the opposite direction too. If I don't know the person, I say so and forward because the connection may make sense and I back out.

Either way, people are reading my profile and I can't tell you how many times I have been re-connected with someone I have not touched base with in a few years. I love that!

To date this is the most valuable activity with and related to LinkedIn for me.

6. ManuelMarino

Original Member

Also, there are several cases for connecting with people you don't know
    (yet):

1. Unless you have one of the top-level premium memberships which
    allows you to see everyone in the system when you search, you are limited to
    seeing only people within three degrees of you or who are premium members
    and have specified the "OpenLink" option. So being connected to more people
    increases the number of people you can see in the system when you search.
    This is especially important if you are, say, a recruiter and need to have
    as many results as possible when you search. Also, on the flip side, you
    are findable by more people.

2. Accepting their invitation can be seen as a beginning of a
    relationship. Now that you're connected, they should be receptive to
    spending some time getting to know you.

3. "More connections = more opportunity". Since you never know where
    your next client, business partner, employer, or whatever, is going to come
    from, the more people you're connected to, the more opportunity you have for
    those people to find you.

As example, since you are game developers, through my network you could be able to find easily investors and publishers, and key people that could help you in your business.

7. TomSpilman

Original Member

You know what... i can't stand LinkedIn. I refuse on principle to pay $50 a month to send emails to people i already can contact freely.

Has anyone ever benefited by a LinkedIn contact?

8. Sybixsus

Original Member

Thanks all the same but I don't think it would help my chances if you spam them as you do us.

9. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

10. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Do people really place so much emphasis on being contacted by someone 'through' someone they know?
    Some people I know hang out with some real dorks, and certainly some people I know work with some real dorks. At the same time, lots of people I don't have any connection to are presumably interesting, fun and helpful.

If anyone wanted to contact me, they can find my email address out easily enough. If they have something interesting to say, or there's a good reason to strike up an email relationship, I'll reply. If they don't I won't. I get quite a few unsolicited emails asking for jobs, advice, or offering me services / work / partnerships. I read all of them, although don't reply to them all.

Someone who is of no interest to you does not become really interesting because you have a mutual friend (or vague acquaintance) surely?

11. ManuelMarino

Original Member

This is only shit. Word of mouth is not spam, and there are more than 50 people that endorsed me on my profile on LinkedIn, just to explain you that what I do is right, and probably much better than what you do, throwing shit in front of people who are more successful than you.

12. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

:D This is really great explaination :D

I'm your big fan :)

13. ManuelMarino

Original Member

...but I'm not yours, sorry.

14. ManuelMarino

Original Member

Using LinkedIn or any other networking tool is not spam. Thinking this way you would insult 10 millions users that daily use LinkedIn to help their business.

LinkedIn is something very serious, so please show respect.

To help you understanding in how many ways your point of view is wrong, please check this link:

Smart Ways to Use LinkedIn

After this I won't reply anymore to any stupid post like yours.

15. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

Oh dear... don't be so sad :) Cheers ;)

16. Sybixsus

Original Member

I only addressed one person. I don't know the other 9,999,999, so I have no idea how they behave.

Again, I made a point about you, not the site.

Actually that just reaffirmed my opinion. If there are smart ways to use LinkedIn, clearly there are not-so-smart ways too. So it's all down to the behaviour of the individual? Precisely my concern.

Sadly, that's not the assurance I was hoping for.

Yep, I got one of those too.