Lighting effects

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by GolfHacker, Dec 21, 2009.

1. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

These two scenes from the New Super Mario Bros Wii got me thinking again about doing some lighting puzzles in Dirk Dashing 2.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I think it's pretty cool how the jellyfish and the spotlight reveal portions of the level while leaving other parts obscured. But I'm trying to figure out how I can do something this in my game. There must be a trick to this effect, but I can't figure it out. Anyone know the secret?

2. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Depending on the hardware it's either a stencil effect, or a render to texture off-screen buffer you subtract from the main buffer/alpha blend an image you subtract alpha from.

3. Acord

Acord New Member

Man, I HATE those levels!

4. Bad Sector

Original Member

What i would try to do is to merge (blend) all "light" areas in a single texture which would initially be black (or very dark gray) and light areas would be a gradient going from white to dark gray. Then i would do a multiply blend to the full screen after everything has been rendered. The hardware requirements are the same as those needed to run GLQuake 1 :p (well, plus bigger textures of course).

[​IMG]

Basically, since its blending you can also add some color in there (like the second shot seems to do with the edges of the light cone).

5. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Oh wow! A far better idea than the subtractive thing I was suggesting.

6. jcottier

jcottier New Member

I'll do it the same way as BadSector: add light.

Also, you don't need to use 'grey' light source, you can use any color. You don't need to create a massive texture for that, no needs to have the same resolution as your rendertarget. You could create a small texture and use bilinear filtering when you render it on your whole screen. Finally, I'll do the rendering of the light in software (unless you want to enter complex pixel shading stuff).
    In software, you could make a more complex lighting system where you can 'mix' colors properly. and apply a full blur on your final texture to remove the edges. Don't think it will cost much CPU, if you use a small 256x256 texture in 32 bits it won't take that much time to process it.

JC

7. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Or just render at low res and get free blurring from the bilinear filtering.

8. jcottier

jcottier New Member

If your shadow or light texture for this example is very small, then bilinear filtering is not enough to hide the low res from my experience. With today's cpu, you can take the time to apply a complex blur (or few times a simple one) and the end result is way better.

From my experience, it's better to do it that way. If you use a bigger texture with more res, the end result is less interesting as your shadow/light edge are very sharp. It's much more natural to have smooth edges for lighting and using low res texture + blur give you this result.

JC

9. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Alright. If you don't like that, then use some extra geometry along the edge of your shadow volume with vertex colors to give it a softer look. One thing to try, increase the distance from the original geometry as you get further away from the light source. No CPU needed (short of generating the geometry, but could be precomputed and transformed).

10. Asvarduil

Asvarduil New Member

I think Bad Sector's technique would be the least expensive way of achieving this - just an alpha mask, and some space for the mask file...and with the advent or terabyte hard drives, a few kilobytes one direction or another will not make or break your game.

Besides, it passes the three primary checks: is it a)simple, b)elegant, c)effective? I'm drawing a "oui" on all three.

11. vjvj

Indie Author

Yeah, the "trick" to this is just alpha. Bad Sector's implementation is exactly what I would do.

Use alpha ADD (clamping to 1.0) when compositing the light texture, so that overlapping light volumes accumulate "correctly". Then use alpha BLEND when overlaying the light texture on top of your scene. Done!

12. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Alpha-blending! Duh! Why didn't I think of that??

Thanks, guys! That is indeed a simple and elegant solution.

13. lakibuk

Indie Author

Yes, something like this should be used with caution in a game.
    Not seeing stuff is usually not very funny.
    I don't know how it's used in the Wii Super Mario, probably in a good way. Nintendo's got the best game designers.