Leverage Browser Caching

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by quaymat, May 19, 2017.

1. quaymat

quaymat New Member

So, after some reading I decided to take a pass on Starling and do the next game in HTML. It's (surprise) another financial strategy game so I don't need to have a gazillion sprites moving on the screen but hitting a lot of devices at once has high value to me.

This AM I have a caching question:

I have 32 property cards that are 300x300 pixels - would you store these in a single large sheet or as indvidual images? I'm leaning towards the latter for faster start up as I expect to eventually have an asynchronous loading scheme so that the game starts faster (with the expectation that all of these large jpg files will sit in cache).

2. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I don't have too much experience with browser games, but I would go with separate images. Some graphics buffers can't fit larger than 1024x1024, so if you combine, don't put more than 3x3 in each image file.

3. Scoper

Indie Author

The main purpose of sprite sheets is to improve performance (frame rate). Since you explicitly state that this is not a goal, I would advise against using sprite sheets unless you see actual performance problems. If cannot fit all your sprites in the same sheet, as bantamcitygames pointed out, then you are unlikely to get any significant performance improvement (if you are good you can cleverly group sprites to get around this problem, but that is complicated stuff).

"hitting a lot of devices at once has high value to me."
    In that case, no amount of optimization or technical speculation can replace practical testing. You need to get your hands on some different old mobile devices and try to run your game on them and do some profiling. It is the only way to know. Try to get the oldest and weakest hardware. If it runs on that then it is likely to run on the higher end stuff too.

4. NicolaLC

NicolaLC New Member

I think the best way is using a single sprite image.

The reason why is simple, if you have 300 instance of the same image going to compose the sprite animation, the server will download 300 images instead of 1.

If a single image weight 128kb (for example) you will have to download 128*300 kb, wich could be really slow on high latency networks and the server has to cache a lot of contents.

Instead if you have one single spritesheet image you will download a single content (e.g. 500kb) and the server will cache only one content, and the split process will be managed client-side using javascript.

So if you use a single content the server will cache it one time, and the client will download it once until you clear the browser cache.

Another scenario you could have with multiple image is the following:

a) you use 300 single images for a sprite animation
    b) you change the image 299 because it has a problem
    c) the client has to download all the images to refresh one

Instead if you use a single one:

a) you use 1 single image for a sprite animation, a spritesheet
    b) you change the image because it has a problem
    c) the client has to download a single image to refresh the entire animation

Cheers ^^