Level Design Help

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Davaris, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Davaris

Original Member

I'm supposed to be creating new areas for my RPG but I am blocked at the moment. I was wondering if there are any resources on the net that can help me. I've read a number of articles on level design, but what I'm after is a list of ideas I can use as a resource. Perhaps there is one out there to help Pen and Paper RPG designers? What I'm after is concrete ideas like puzzles, traps and area/level goals.

2. Hidden Sanctum

Original Member

Have you tried going to AD&D fan sites? Many have downloadable maps that people created to run adventures through. Might get some ideas from them.

3. ErikH2000

Original Member

Try making a post on my forum on the "Electronic Games" board, and say basically what you said above, plus maybe a few more details to narrow down the type of RPG. There are people there who are very serious about level design and quite creative. There's also little kids that blurt out silly things, but not nearly so many as you'd imagine. All game developers that posted there have received friendly and interested replies.

A simple creative idea for making levels: take an I Ching reading and construct a level that somehow represents the reading. Here's an article that was written giving an example of how to do this. The example is specific to the game "DROD", but it can work for other games as well.

-Erik

4. C.S.Brewer

Original Member

You might pick up a subscription to Dungeon magazine and Dragon magazine for some rpg level / scenario /item/traps/creatures / everything inspiration.

5. Davaris

Original Member

Thanks for those suggestions everyone. :) I read a good article called Beginning Level Design by Tim Ryan and I've designed a new demo area using his tips, so if no one minds I'll post it here for a critique when its ready.

6. Cartman

Indie Author

Another suggestion would be to go to a used book store and look for old D&D maps, manuals, and campaign kits. Much cheaper than new. I've found inspiration from those in the past.

7. Davaris

Original Member

Hi Everyone,

I've just completed the new demo area. This time the demo is smaller and hopefully better. If anyone has any suggestions to make it more entertaining please let me know.

Omega Syndrome Demo

8. Ricardo Vladimiro

Indie Author

I'm a die hard AD&D fan and had my share of dungeon master before getting married and stuff. :) I've started a design document for a RPG also, no storyline though, but feel free to contact me if you need general help or some discussion around the context.

Good luck!

9. steve bisson

Original Member

i personally like to type in keywords that relate to my idea in google's or yahoo's image search.

You get tons of images for inspiration.