LCD Monitor

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by B_Level, Apr 2, 2007.

1. B_Level

B_Level New Member

Maybe more of a question for a tech board . . . but here goes anyway. :D

I'm looking to buy a LCD monitor (17"+) for a PC i'd just bought off a guy. I was wondering if there were any models that someone could recommend in the $150 range that are still good, or if there are any that you would really recommend avoiding. Thanks.

2. Slayerizer

Original Member

I have a 19" viewsonic. I like it a lot since you can plug 2 computers (1 dvi, 1 vga) at the same time. There is a button in the front of the display that let you switch between the inputs. The monitor also have a speaker connection. My development pc is hooked to a external stereo system but the soundcard of my server (hooked to the vga port) is wired directly to the monitor.

The image quality is also very good. The resolution is 1440x900. I bought a second so that I can have a 2880x900 desktop! :rolleyes:

3. mot

mot
    Indie Author

How's the quality if the video mode is switched to something other than 1440x900? Does it do some sort of interpolation? Or is that the duty of the video card?

4. Slayerizer

Original Member

You don't like to use a LCD at a non native resolution. If you play a game that is not text-based it's tolerable but most of the time I won't even play a game that doesn't support my LCD native resolution. One of the reason to choose a 19" over a 20"&+ is that the resolution of 20"+ is too heavy for most video cards. Those LCD requires a beefy PC to play at native RES.

5. Pyabo

Original Member

Hard to go wrong with the Dell LCD displays... the models with DVI anyway. They have a cheaper end which is not as good. The current model of their 19" LCD is the 1907FP. Have this at work and it's great. But the 1905FP (older model) is great too. I have have the 2005FPW, the 20" widescreen model, and absolutely love it. I think the latest version of that is the 2007FPW.