"Launch game when finished" page with NSIS: how?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by stan, Jul 29, 2005.

1. stan

Original Member Indie Author

Hey,

I've spent hours searching the web for an explanation on how to add a "Launch game when install is finished" page at the end of my NSIS-installer. The only thing I found was a request for help in a forum, and the explanation seemed particularly complicated for the simple thing that I wanted to do...

I was wondering if any of you knew a simple way to do that. It's probably important to note that I'm not using the "modern UI" thing... (Though I'm not sure what that implies.)

Meanwhile, I'll try again to understand NSIS' doc...

2. Tertsi

Indie Author

You first create an Optionspage.ini file similar to this one: (There's a GUI editor available for it)

[Settings]
    NumFields=6

[Field 1]
    Type=Groupbox
    Text=Installation options
    Left=20
    Right=207
    Top=33
    Bottom=116

[Field 2]
    Type=Checkbox
    Text=View the up-to-date online manual after installation
    Left=25
    Right=204
    Top=75
    Bottom=84
    State=0

[Field 3]
    Type=Checkbox
    Text=View the offline manual after installation
    Left=25
    Right=190
    Top=62
    Bottom=72
    State=1

[Field 4]
    Type=Checkbox
    Text=Launch the game after installation
    Left=25
    Right=190
    Top=49
    Bottom=59
    State=1

[Field 5]
    Type=Checkbox
    Text=Create startmenu shortcuts
    State=1
    Left=25
    Right=149
    Top=88
    Bottom=97

[Field 6]
    Type=Checkbox
    Text=Create a desktop shortcut
    State=1
    Left=25
    Right=149
    Top=100
    Bottom=110

Then you put these lines in a way you want in the installation script:
    (near the top of it)

ReserveFile "Optionspage.ini"
    Page license
    Page custom SetOptionspage
    Page directory
    Page instfiles

Then you use these lines at some point:
    StrCmp $R3 "1" 0 SKIPGAME
    Exec "$INSTDIR\game.exe"
    SKIPGAME:

I tried to make this reply to be as comprehensive as possible but I don't have the time to teach you everything atm. so if you have any questions, the manual should help with the rest. ;)

3. stan

Thanks a lot! This seems to be exactly what I need, and it's understandable, too ;). I'll try ASAP.

4. GreenGoose

Original Member

We're using version 2.0 of NSIS, and all we needed to add was a new section to the bottom of our other sections (I've included the previous last section above the one for launching the game):

Section "Desktop Shortcuts"
    CreateShortCut "$DESKTOP\Land of Legends ${MAJORVERSION}.lnk" "$INSTDIR\LOL.exe" "" "$INSTDIR\LOL.exe" 0 SW_SHOWNORMAL "" "Land of Legends ${MAJORVERSION}"
    SectionEnd

Section "Launch the game after installation"
    Exec "$INSTDIR\LOL.exe"
    SectionEnd

Hope that helps for people with a similiar NSI setup.

5. stan

Thanks guys, your answers helped me understand NSIS a bit better and find the solution! Tertsi, it turns out your explanation lacked quite a few things, but it's ok since I found that page which explains (almost) it all: InstallOptions NSIS plugin

So, we have to use the InstallOptions plugin. The web page isn't supremely clear on all aspects IMHO, but I managed to make it work anyway ;). There is a bug in the "Call the DLL" section of the doc: a "Pop $R0" is missing before the end of the function.

Also I had to use WriteINIStr to localise the "Text" fields of the GUI before it is opened (since my installer handles English, French and German).

Time to sleep now so I won't explain more, but if anyone has a question or wants to see the relevant parts of my installer script, just ask :).

/me happy

6. gcarlton

Original Member

I've found using HM NIS edit is quite handy:
    http://hmne.sourceforge.net/

You can make up some options with their wizard and then open up the nsis file and see what the resulting commands were.