Laserbreak - Android Puzzle Game. Our first game launched. Feedback welcomed...

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by apexcreative, Sep 22, 2014.

1. apexcreative

apexcreative New Member

Hey all,

Just signed up here as an indie dev. A friend and I have just released our first Android game called Laserbreak. We've never created a game before.

A bit of back story...

So I had an idea about 5 months ago for a cool educational toy. It involved a light or laser beam and a bunch of reflective triangles that you could spin to direct the beam towards a target

I have a friend who is an industrial designer and I’ve worked with him in the past. I thought maybe he could help build a prototype or something, just in our spare time. So I sent him an image of a bunch of triangles and a line bouncing off on different angles.

He replied that he for some reason assumed it was a video game. I hadn’t really even considered that until that point.

So he just takes the idea and runs with it (he has dabbled with making games in the past). The very next day he had created an APK which he emailed me. It looked awful, to put it politely, but it worked… and so began the long game design/dev process. You can see some pics in this album of the original idea and first APK.

So almost 5 months later, well over 500 hours of design and development, we have created our first game. It’s an awesome feeling actually finishing something for once, as we are both big creative thinkers but never really see anything through.

The idea evolved a lot, from just reflective shapes, to include objects such as balls, explosives, wormholes, glass, elevators etc.

One of the reasons I’m so happy we actually got it finished was that during these 5 months, both of our wives have had babies. So we’ve created this game mostly during the night between baby feeds, changing nappies, and in any spare 15 minutes we have had. To be honest I have no idea how we have managed to finish it.

I thought I’d share some of the development with you and introduce you to the finished product.

Even if it’s a total flop (I know how competitive the gaming market is), it was good fun to make and we’re both happy with what we created.

Hopefully this story might give you a nudge to see one of your game ideas through.

Feedback welcomed of course!

Development Album

Youtube walk through video showing some game play

Play Store URL

2. HarryBalls

HarryBalls New Member

Congratulations in the interesting app and your new babies. It sounds like you both are busy with your growing families. Do you have any plans to produce an iOS version? We plan to inlcude the Android version in our list of new apps, probably tomorrow 11.7.2014.