lariad - platform game for win/macosx/linux

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by snauts, Jan 2, 2012.

1. snauts

snauts Guest

Hi!

Me and my friend had just finished work on our first platform game LARIAD. Please check it out!

[​IMG]

2. Pallav Nawani

Indie Author

Its an interesting platformer. It has a lot of rough edges, but it is atmospheric and overall it is fun to play. Stuff that needs improving:

(a) Story - The game doesn't seem to have a story as such. A broad overarching storyline would make it more interesting to play the game.
    (c) Beginning - In the beginning the player starts facing the left side. The player goes into the swamp and immediately dies - that's not an ideal beginning for the game.
    (d) The player should be able to get out of the really small swamp puddles. Not being able to get out seems counterintuitive, and I can see it becoming frustrating for the player in the long run.
    (e) Help - You should have in-game help. Check out braid game on how to do this.
    (f) Jumping and falling animation for the guy needs improvement.
    (g) Controls are akward, you need to streamline them a bit.

3. me_36

me_36 New Member

Totally agree with the points made by Pallav.
    The game looks interesting but I uninstalled it after I didn't get through the swamp.
    At the very least you could make an option to resurrect near the spot you died instead
    of going back to the house and do it all over again.
    I think the training should be part of the first level instead of being a seperate menu item
    because I didn't realize that there was a training to be done and jumped right in the game.
    If you don't want the training to be part of the levels, I suggest the signs to be more helpfull
    regarding the keys you need to push to jump for instance.
    It is a shame because I like what I see from the screenshots but can't get to them :)

Best regards from

M.E.

4. snauts

snauts Guest

Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely try to do something about those issues.

BTW if our server is down (sorry for that), you can still download game from here: http://bugpipe.com/lariad

#4 snauts, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  5. snauts

snauts Guest

Which place was it exactly that made you quit?

6. me_36

me_36 New Member

The three small swamps after the other ones.
    And that was after I struggled to find the jumping key on the keyboard since I
    didn't went through the tutorial level.
    Also I was a little bit off guard since I thought it was a
    puzzle game and I tried things with the frog and sign-post
    to make me a raft or something like that :)

Best regards from

M.E.

7. snauts

snauts Guest

Released v0.6

Removed seperate training stage, made tutorial part of the game.
    Also removed some mobs in easy difficulty mode.

Now player is facing opposite direction.
    Also you can get out of smallest puddles now.

8. Grunnt

Grunnt New Member

The intro actually gave me the creeps :) Nice style!

Some comments:
    - Adding a convincing jumping animation to the character (for example bit of split legs a la mario) would look good I think. Now it looks a bit strange.
    - Maybe add a nice icon to the application exe file? Looks much better and makes it easier to find the exe between all the other files.
    - When I alt-tab out of the game, the mouse cursor appears stuck in the top left corner of the screen.

9. snauts

snauts Guest

Fixed all of these three issues. Released v0.8