Kudos 2 First Screen

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by cliffski, May 12, 2008.

1. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

having draggable windows is very much a binary nuclear option of yay or nay. The original game had them, and I think people are pretty ok with them these days. Anyone playing games has used a windowed O/S so they understand the idea. Sometimes you need several of them open at once, so it's not easily doable without letting them be dragged...

2. GnadeGames

Original Member

I think the draggable menus are a necessity. Part of the addictiveness of the original Kudos was tracking all of your stats.

3. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

I haven't played the original Kudos, but I can imagine that draggable windows are necessary... however, maybe I didn't make it clear what I meant by "tear-off" windows. Have you used any of the CS3 Adobe products? The different windows are all available as tabs at the right of your screen by default... you click on a tab and you get just that one window, so you can look at one thing at a time without a bunch of clutter.

However, if you want one window to stick around while you flip through the others, you drag it away from the tab bar and it "tears off" and becomes a floating window. When you click the X to close it or drag it back to the tab bar, it rejoins the one-at-a-time tabbed windows.

4. zombibubonik

zombibubonik New Member

I'm having a little trouble reading the blocks of text, all the words feel like they're running together (unless the text is just placeholder?)

Also *cough*extrovert*cough*

5. cliffski

6. Nexic

Indie Author

I find it very confusing how you have mix of negative and positive attributes. So sometimes a full bar can be good, and another time it can be bad. How about sticking to only the positive sides of each attribute?

For example:
    Stress > Relaxation
    Tiredness > Energy
    Boredom > Fun

Etc...

Would also help combat the negativity that a lot of people picked up on in Kudos 1.

7. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

I never played the original Kudos - part of the reason was that I'm not much of a sim person (though I have played one or two sim games), and the screenshots just weren't that exciting to look at. But I really like the new art - it's making me think twice about trying your game! I think this will help it out a lot!

Kudos to your new artist (pun not intended)! :D

8. cliffski

interesting idea, cheers

9. andrew

andrew New Member

Looking good!

p.s. make sure to do a US localization (i.e. "socalize", "extrovert", "$", etc :)

10. Nexic

Indie Author

Would be interesting to see if using the British (read: correct) spelling of words actually put someone off buying.

11. Backov

Original Member

It's looking good, I like it a lot better than Kudos 1s look (which I bought) - I'll definitely give 2 a try when you release it.

12. wazoo

Original Member

Looking great man!

13. cliffski

people kept telling me planetary defence was spelt wrong. I told them it was the Queens English, the language of our sovereign, and they should show more respect to their colonial betters*

*nah, I changed it. :D

14. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

I miss the old days... back when I was in high school in the early 90s, Canadian English was essentially British English. But I've noticed that more and more words are starting to be spelled the American way, I would assume because of the Internet. Colour still takes a U in Canada, but realize takes a Z, and so on. It's really confusing and arbitrary, but that's the price you pay for speaking a decentralis... er, decentralized language.

15. ChrisP

Indie Author

The footnote there is worth a look:

I've always seen it spelled "extrovert", myself. (Aussie.) Assuming it's not a regional difference, perhaps it would be better to follow the general use convention rather than the psychology convention, since most people aren't psychologists. Up to you of course.

Graphics are definitely improved. The only thing I've noticed that I can pick on :))) is that the shadows on the floating dialogs don't quite look how I'd expect them to. The yellowish "orange" boxes, e.g. the one labelled "Opera", have a drop shadow to their lower-right, suggesting that the light comes from the top-left; but the top and left borders also have those shadows, making them look raised up above the content of the box. Not that there's anything wrong with that if that's what you want; it just struck me as unusual, since windows are normally designed to appear raised above their borders. (So there'd be a highlight there instead of a shadow.)

16. MrGoldfish

Original Member

LOL!! This game looks awesome! :p

17. MrMandrill

MrMandrill New Member

Wow. This looks really impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I might beat this dead horse further and suggest either "extraversion" or "extroversion" (depending on what you decide to do with the nasty a/o issue). Extravert isn't necessarily an attribute, whereas everything else in that dialog is... Just makes me shudder a little.

18. dma

dma New Member

Problem is, most average-joe users don't know about options like this, so they end up with a stretched screen, anyway. ;)

In some cases though, the stretched aspect doesn't look that bad, especially when one hasn't seen the non-stretched version. I run some 4:3 games like Aquaria stretched, just because it isn't all that noticeable, and I dislike the black bars on the sides.

But since the vast majority of computers sold nowadays come with widescreen LCDs, all of the stuff I'm working on now and in the future will support both standard and widescreen resolutions, with 4:3 eventually being phased out since the numbers out there with that type of monitor will be insignificant (at least as far as potential sales are concerned) as the years pass by.

19. dma

dma New Member

That's a huge misconception. While of course there are exceptions, 'hotties' of either sex can be just as insecure as any other person. Physical attributes have absolutely nothing to do with inner strength and confidence. In fact, if a person relies on their physical attributes to 'help' boost their confidence, that says something about their insecurities right there. ;)