Kings of Legions promotion problems...

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by stevoboi, Jan 4, 2012.

1. stevoboi

stevoboi New Member

Hey all, I've been around the forum for a while now and have finally finished the beta version of Kings of Legions (app on facebook - just search it.)... However I've ran across a few problems that I knew would come.

First off, I've put $150 into facebook advertising, all of that is used up, and nothing but a bunch of inactives lying around.

I've optimized my site for search engines as well as using adwords.
    Also started resorting to trying to get the word out on forums in hopes of someone joining and referring their friends...

Need some help here guys.

Thanks

2. Shaz

Moderator Original Member

I can't see what the game is about. I can read the description, and I can see one image, but it all tells me very little. With the paranoia that most people have with facebook apps accessing your information (which seems to have increased lately), a lot of people won't want to give the app access to their profile JUST to see what it's about. I suggest making some videos and putting on YouTube, add a page somewhere that explains what the game is about, show some screenshots/videos, get positive comments from your existing player base, and make it visible to people without having to give access to their profile. You could also try Zynga's approach of "invite two friends and I'll give you something special".

If all of that is already in place, it should be easier to find. I clicked on what I THOUGHT was an outside page, to try and find out more about the game, but got hit with the "gimme all access to your profile" window again. And it seems to want to access quite a bit more stuff than apps usually do - maybe that's a turnoff?

3. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

100% the facebook issue.

I don't have a facebook account active, and my partner has hers logged in and I am not clicking on allow for something random.

Create a external site, or at least remove that. Don't even know what your game is...

4. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

app on facebook - just search it.

Your first order of business needs to be changing how you approach your customer. Inexcusable to be asking for help when you aren't providing screenshots and a direct link.

When I click on the link in your sig. I get a bunch of div. by zero errors before being taken into the game (at least that's what is says is going on, I can't tell how to play and there is no "screenshots" button that I can see). All of your text talks about dev. issues rather than why this is an exciting game for me as a player. Your customers are gamers not dev's, talk to them and tell them what they want to know about if they are potential players of your game, ie. figure out who your customer is and what their likely questions will be. Personally, as a strategy gamer, I'm interested in screenshots and a UI and or video that tells me why the game is going to be worth my time commitment.

5. chanon

Indie Author

As someone who is also developing a Facebook game I thought I might share my thoughts on your game. You're still ahead of me though as our game isn't released yet.

Here are some of my thoughts:
    - I don't usually like or play text based strategy games, but I know that a lot of these types of games have been successful in the past and they are able to retain a very steady amount of players. However these days the average facebook game has a lot more production quality. I still believe gameplay is more important in the long run, but I think you need a bit more graphics to pull players in. Castle Age is a wonderful example of this I think, but you don't need to have a ton of art, just something that can help spark the player's imagination and make them want to see what the better stuff looks like. (Better could be better troop types, better buildings, better artifacts etc.) Adding some kind of collection mechanic with this would also help. I don't know if your game already has this or not, but I didn't play far enough (or at all actually) to know. Which leads me to the next point...
    - For people who have looked at your game's first page (after Play) with it's somewhat nicely decorated but still intimidating ui and non-existant illustrations and decide they'll try out the tutorial to see what the game is like ... they will find out that there's actually no tutorial. While you call it a tutorial at the top, instead there are 'Lessons'. The word 'Lesson' equals 'Work to do' to me and sounds in no way fun.
    - At this point I need to back up a bit. Before anyone would even want to try the tutorial, they'd need to know why they would want to bother with this game. OK, there isn't much art so that isn't going to be a pull. So you need to at least describe to the player what is it they will get from playing your game.

Instead this is the first thing they see:

[Lessons 1 through 4 in separate tabs below]

Which makes me feel:
    - Hey wait, I don't even know why I should play this game. Why should I have to go through these 'Lessons'. That feels like work and it's starting to give me a headache! I'll just close the browser window now.
    - Additionally - it looks and feels like I'm reading a user manual for a piece of complicated software.
    - Where is the fun!!??

I think what you need at this point is some text describing what awesome stuff awaits the player followed by what every successful facebook game has, which is a step by step tutorial hand holding the player to do different things which will show the player what 'fun' the game has in store for the player. Hand holding equals a sequence of 'click here to do this' where the player just has to click where the game points.

I think these are the most obvious points you should improve. I didn't make it very far at all so I can't comment on the rest.

Two other things:
    - Use analytics or at least check your user's data to see how far the average player got in the game. Then you will see at what point most users decide to not bother anymore and fix that point.
    - Get a live human tester and watch him/her try to play your game in person. This will help a ton in fixing usability.

Good luck!

#5 chanon, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  6. chanon

Indie Author

One other thing .. what's with requesting the permission 'post in facebook as me'?
    I think that is more suited for ipad/iphone facebook client style apps rather than games.