King.com's trademark limits our freedom to make 'Candy'

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Junkyard Sam, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Junkyard Sam

Junkyard Sam New Member

Do you guys remember this?
    http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?20254-Copying-Where-do-you-draw-the-line

I don't really care that King.com (makers of Candy Crush Saga) copied our game. They can make PAC Avoid clones all day if they want! This is resurfacing because they're in process of trademarking 'Candy' and now going after other developers such as 'Candy Slots,' etc.

I put this link out yesterday and it went viral - front page of Reddit twice, hundreds of retweets. Over well over 500,000 unique visitors so far:
    http://www.junkyardsam.com/kingcopied

Here you can see they have a history of stepping on other people's intellectual property and even partial use of Namco's Pac Man trademark in the name of the game "Pac Avoid!" We can't allow giant companies to just buy up common words in order to limit our innovation as smaller developers. I hope you'll spread the word.

Patent trolls are a problem in the tech industry. Now King is bringing Trademark Trolling to ours. :-/

2. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Wow! That is outrageous! I would have never guessed that they would be able to trademark the term Candy alone in any realm. The word by itself is so widely used (diluted) that it shouldn't be allowed to be trademarked. This is my opinion, but I did recently trademark a title and had to go through similar issues.

Would you mind linking to the original indiegamer post above in your blog entry? (shameless attempt at more traffic :))

#2 bantamcitygames, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  3. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'd heard the tale before but I retweeted it at least a couple of times. I'm not a spiteful person but I hope King go bankrupt.

4. Desktop Gaming

5. WaveRider

Indie Author

King.com? Upset about devs copying games?! That's hilarious! Have these guys even ever made an original game?
    I'm in the US where they haven't been able to copywrite "Candy" yet. I'm tempted to make an app called "Candy Crush Clone" under the company name King.org

#5 WaveRider, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  6. Matt2East

Original Member

I'm going to trademark the word "The." Sitting here counting my big pile o' money...

7. Mister Builder

Mister Builder New Member

I honestly think there will be a bigger uproar as this news and its impact reaches out beyond the gaming community. Right now it's largely our communities pissed off about an actions principle, eventually other companies in an insane variety of industries will start to feel that recoil, and this may bite them in the ass in the end. At least one can only hope the lot of them end up in little shacks for their disgusting and not to mention hypocritical actions.

8. Desktop Gaming

Just so you know, Copyright and Trademarks are not the same thing.

9. WaveRider

Indie Author

My bad. Thanks for the correction.