Kickstarter... without kickstarter?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by speeder, Dec 10, 2010.

1. speeder

speeder New Member

Kickstarter is US only.

Kickstarter is a way I think is really cool to make games, it is like a mecenate of the people.

But I am not in the US.

Someone know a solution?

2. Allen Varney

Original Member

IndieGoGo claims you can post a project "from anywhere in the world." IndieGoGo caters more to filmmakers, but it does have a gaming category.
    It's driving me crazy, so I have to ask: What word is this supposed to be? What was the word in your original language that you wanted to translate?

3. speeder

speeder New Member

Sorry, I forgot that word is not popular in today english... It is valid in some ancient english, and some more or less recent portuguese (my language) but still not popular either.

Mecenas was the name of a dude in Rome, he would give money to projects he liked (if Kickstarter existed then, he would jsut see one project and then make a huge donation that pays it if he liked it). He financed many of the art we know today, like the texts of Virgil and Horace.

Because of that, in Latin (and thus all other languages that had contact with it) Mecenate came to mean support financially a creative project, with those that do it becoming "Mecenas" themselves. In portuguese language this word is known (altough less used today) because in the history of portuguese literature there was a period with a great amount of Mecenas that financed some really good works (like some king of portugal that financed Camões' Lusíadas, a huge and really cool epic poem about the adventures of portuguese explorers to India, this text is claimed to be one of the foundations of the "Romantic" genre, although the text itself is in the same genre of Illiad and Aeneid, that btw were financed by the original Mecenas guy I mentioned).

Now after you read all that, Mecenate is more or less synonymous of Patronage.

4. Bad Sector

Original Member

It is a bit hard to finance Iliad when it was written about 780 years before you existed :p

5. speeder

speeder New Member

Mixup.

REEEAAAAL mixup.

That is what happen when you are explaining stuff at 3:00 in the morning with the mind clouded and you think Horace (guy that got money from Mecenas) and Homer (Illiad author) are the same person.

6. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

Hehe, mecenate is italian, which comes from that guy in Rome. Doesn't seem to be a common turn of phrase.

Fun fun.

7. electronicStar

Original Member

mecenate=sponsoring
    The term is mostly used in latin language countries.
    The term is generally used to describe a generous rich person who funds artists he likes.

8. andrew

andrew New Member

Games have a very mixed record on Kickstarter, there are lots of failed/unfunded projects. The ones that seem to work are board games, non-traditional game designs, and games with very strong concept art.

I have friends who have gotten successful funding via Kickstarter (across multiple media types) and the common thread seems to be that they all had a large mailing list / Facebook fan group / etc to promote their project.

- andrew

9. speeder

speeder New Member

I will test IndieGoGo and ask donations to buy a Mac to make a Mac version of my game (I already coded the Mac version, I need now to compile, pack, make icons according to Apple standards, etc...)