Just getting started (2D Adventure Game)

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by MiraHope, May 5, 2017.

1. MiraHope

MiraHope New Member

I am just starting work on a 2D point and click adventure game. It is set in a world I've been working on, on and off for years, now. I'd been debating on the medium with which I'd tell the story that has been growing, and just a couple days ago this became the clearly perfect option.

I have never made a game in my life, but I intend to use my own art (which I am practiced in) and I am very proud of the story. I am currently using AGS for my engine, and I think I have an okay grasp on things, though I'm not sure how to go about getting the game to a point where I can start presenting it to others to attempt to get a team together, or maybe start a funding campaign.

What is good enough for that sort of thing? Screen shots? A demo? Where do I present those things? How do you do a demo without spoiling story? Where can I find music to use? Where do I look for people to help me with these things?

So many questions. Such a huge metaphorical mountain ahead, but I am filled with determination.

2. Archduke

Archduke New Member

Are you planning on being a developer on this project? If so, I would strongly recommend trying to just make the game. You can use public domain music as a placeholder, and find a sound designer towards the end of the project.

Since you have no completed past projects to show, and don't have proof that you can make the game, crowdfunding would be a bad route. Even if you can convince people to give you money, you have no way of knowing what it will actually take to deliver on your promises.

If your idea is too large to make yourself, put it on hold and make some smaller adventure games. If you want to design games, then become a game designer first by practicing the craft before making your big show piece. Start with the game equivalent of children's drawings, then work your way up to a masterpiece.

On the other hand, if you just want to do writing and art, then you'll need to polish the crap out of your concept art and spec scripts before you'll be able to find developers that will work with you. You need to produce something for people to believe in, since they'll be spending LOTS of time implementing it.