JigBlocks

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by ztownsend, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Carrot

Indie Author

Okay, on the graphics side: It's a Blitz game, right? Well why not use the abundant free code samples to add some nice effects (there are free particle systems if you don't want to spend money).
    The graphics are only okay, in my opinion. Adding a couple of nice touches here and there would bring life to the graphics.
    For instance, it looks like you just used cubes for the tiles. Why not import a beveled cube instead? It would give a much better feeling of depth I think.

The tile textures are a bit of an eye-sore. I'd try a plainer background (stone-gray maybe) with the tiles differentiated by brighter foreground colours/shapes. eg. Tiles with red circles others with yellow triangles etc. would be much easier on the eye, and easier to associated like with like.

I quite liked the game, I'm just being critical! I just think a bit more graphical polish would go a long way to improving the overall aesthetic appeal.

Cheers,
    Ciaran

2. ztownsend

Original Member

cheers epicboy - same to you ;)

Carrot - fair points. I haven't spent that long on the graphics, so if you think they could be better, I should probably look at that.

What do you mean "add a particle system"? did you not see the two fire-torches either side of the grid??? :confused: Well they are small!! and when the blocks touch, there is a very faint particle effect. You want more particles?? I'm also a bit concerned about how the game speed deteriorates on a slow computer, and the more effects I put in, could make it unplayable on an old PC. I've already had to include an option to exclude the torches etc.

cheers for the feedback!!

I've just added some more levels, now 20 in all, and level 20 is difficult - I think.

You can either download the whole thing at http://www.handmadebyaliens.com/downloads/jigblocks-setup.exe
    or just download the level file at http://www.handmadebyaliens.com/downloads/mydata.dat and stick it in the data/ subdirectory.

#22 ztownsend, Oct 7, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  3. Mike Wiering

Original Member

Sorry, didn't see that (it's just that your download page looks rather empty in Firefox and I couldn't find anything to download).

About the game, I agree that there really should be a restart button. And about detecting a fatal mistake, I think the easiest way would be: whenever a block is removed, check if there is only one of any kind left, that would be an obvious situation that indicates a fatal mistake, at least enough to tell a first-time user that he's made a mistake.

Your menus seem to be very slow (as if you have a delay after each mouse click).

To be honest, I didn't like the graphics at all, especially because of the colors you use. The whole thing looks kind of dark and gray, and all those different color combinations make it look amaturistic. I'ld also keep the level straight in front of you, not slant (or slant it before and after you play). In fact, this game might be better in 2D.

Just my opinion, good luck!

4. andyb

Original Member

i'm running it on a p2 700 with an onboard intel graphics card, and it runs fine. hope that helps.

5. lowemark

Original Member

I get a message box telling me: "Memory access violation" when i try to run the game. Tried it on both my computers.

comp1:
    dual xeon 550mhz
    1 gig ram
    geforce 4 ti4200
    Win XP pro sp2

comp2:
    dell inspiron 8600 1.3ghz
    512 mb ram
    geforce FX Go5650
    Win XP home sp2

6. ztownsend

Original Member

apologies lowemark, my fault. :eek:

I did test it, and it works if you select 'launch game' after installing, but the shortcut doesn't work. It will also run if you find the .exe file and run that directly.
    The start menu shortcut and the desktop icon both missed a 'working; directory. I've rectified this, and the game should now install and run properly. I've also included an uninstall option.

Demo download at http://www.handmadebyaliens.com/downloads/jigblocks-setup.exe

7. lowemark

Original Member

Yeah, now the desktop shortcut worked better now :) . Some thoughts about the game then:

1. As several others already pointed out, you really need to create a way for the player to be able to restart the level without going back to the main menu.

2. I really disliked the way the "player" (or mouse coursor or whatever you would call it) moved faster than the block you where moving. I think that it should stick to the block while you're moving it.

3. Dont like the textures on the blocks, it looks like they just have simple photoshop styles applyed on them.

4. When you click to read the instructions i dont think that you should get kicked out of the game and forced to read the instructions in your web browser. Same thing happens when you click to view the highscores.

5. Switching to windowed mode did not work (this is maybe not implemented yet?)

Overall it feels like it needs alot more pollishing.
    Thats just my thoughts about the game for now.