Jez+l+Lee

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by jpoag, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jpoag

jpoag New Member

I was talking with my wife who works as a school teacher for autistic/downs kids and she told me that Autistic kids (and those with Asperger's syndrome) have a hard time interpreting social cues (facial cues, underlying tones and meanings, etc...) This could easily be extrapolated to include forum interactions (where I've seen lots of normal people misinterpret posts).

Basically, I think what we have here is a failure to communicate. Jez+Lee is misconstruing criticism as negative feedback. This in turn leads to negative feedback through the natural course of conversation (i.e. like talking to a wall). My guess is that he's not able to process criticism / negative feedback correctly and therefore doesn't. He's also failing to connect lack of feedback with lack of interest.

I can think of two solutions:

Stop critiquing his work on a commercial level
    This is along the lines of 'ignore him and he'll go away' but with a more positive spin. Critiques would be limited to 'nice job' and positive feedback with all things considered.

Worst case scenario is that we adopt a person who continuously posts on the forums. Future members will attempt to provide feedback and we'll have to PM them and let them know what's up.

Treat him like a spam-bot
    If he continues to repost and circular link posts then he's not much more than a spammer. The difference is that because he sees things in black and white and is prone to repetitive behavior he's not much more than a bot.

I'm not a mean spirited person and it would suit me just fine to stop responding to his posts with anything more than 'nice job' or 'nice work'.

Your opinion...
    Yeah, he's pissed a lot of people off, but given his condition, his behavior is understandable.

What are your thoughts? I especially want to hear from those whom he rubbed the wrong way.

All thoughts are valid (even negative ones). We're a professional forum and adults. We're not picking on the slow kid. Be honest.

2. jcottier

jcottier New Member

A lot of newbies devs are acting like him anyway :) so, not sure if he is acting like this because of autism or whatever.

JC

3. jpoag

jpoag New Member

True. A lot of newbie devs are kids.

4. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

If we assume that he does in fact have a condition, then that might at least mitigate his actions. However, his actions are still damned annoying. Assuming there's no malice behind it doesn't diminish it much tbh.

My particular beef though isn't about how he responds to feedback, but his presence here at all. He's already shown/stated that his reason d'etre is to clone ancient games, with full on copyright breaches, as freeware for the fun of it. And then keep spamming us with it like we should be interested.

This is great for him - we all need a hobby. But that's not what this forum is for.

Just my 2p as requested.

5. ggambett

I agree with Applewood. Regardless of why he acts the way he acts, the way he acts affects the forums and its users. I think he's out of place here, he should be a lot better in GameDev.net (in fact I've suggested him to go there, but he ignored this advice, the same way he ignores most of the advice he's given)

Don't expect him to change with time, though - he's been acting exactly the same way in the SDL mailing list (which is even more technical than this one) for years. I'm not a moderator there, though :(

I vote "spambot". There's a thread in the Moderators forum and the feeling seems to be the same.

6. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Noise is still noise.

7. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Good points.

• Legal ramifications?
    • Wrong Community?
    • Unnecessary noise?

He posts at GD.net, but he's ignored there as well.

I hated MOD duty.

#7 jpoag, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  8. andrew

andrew New Member

I personally think it's better to ignore people than to ban them, unless they keep making threads over and over again (which this guy seems to do), and fail to respond to any feedback/criticism (which this guy seems to do)... in that case, well, noise is noise?

9. lennard

Agreed - ideally people would just stop responding.

I wish I could be as annoying as he is - my game release (and many others this week) continually got bumped because people kept piling on. No press is bad press? This guys got us all figured.

10. Desktop Gaming

Eek.

First thing - threads in public about how to ignore certain forum members = not nice.

Second thing - rules are rules. Autistic or not - break them, you're out.

Simples.

11. jpoag

jpoag New Member

I agree, it's not tactful.

I told my wife the situation and she gave me the third degree and lecture about Autism. I felt bad about getting mad at the guy and opened the discussion.

If someone could sit him down and say: "Hey, the forums are a tool, not a toy. Limit your announcements to 1 per game, stop bumping your posts because no one answered and behave according to the forum etiquette... or you're out."

12. princec

Indie Author

Who is this chap? Did I miss something?
    <edit>Ignore me, just saw announcement post threads.

Cas :)

#12 princec, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  13. Olofson

Original Member

You've been on vacation or something...? :)

Anyway, what's happening is that this guy is posting about a few Free (as in beer as well as speech, as I understand it) games + engine, and cross-linking and stuff. He's also asking for feedback, but not really responding to it. So, some people were getting rather annoyed.

Edit-right-before-post: Yeah, you get the idea. :D

14. kilah

kilah New Member

@jpoag:

Just a note, you seem to have ignored the second part of the bolded text you quoted, which is savant.

He may have a real issue, but both words put together (trying to copycat Kim Peek) makes me think he does not at all. There are only 50 known savant cases in the world, and I would be surprises he is either a new case, or one of them.

Just my impressions, hopefully I am correct and he does not have any real problem.

Cheers.

15. Arkadesh

Original Member

1 in 10

Well, according to wikipedia "One in ten autistic people have savant skills.", so there's something wrong with your numbers (or wikipedia).

16. jpoag

jpoag New Member

My guess is that 'Savant' is code for 'high functioning'. Apparently, there are several depths of Autism, ranging from 'staring and the wall' to people who can function in everyday society.

That being said, I've read through his code. If he's able to keep all of that in his head and 'program' in that manner then there might be something to his claim.

His forte isn't programming, but retaining large amounts of code/data in his head. (I can do both ;-)

17. Olofson

Original Member

Quite the opposite of me then; I can hardly remember the few dozen API calls I use most frequently...! Apparently, I somehow get by anyway, though. :D

18. kilah

kilah New Member

Arkadesh, my bad, spanish wikipedia claims there are only 50 diagnosed cases worldwide based on some data they have. Wikipedia has flaws sometimes, therefore if that's the case on this incoherence, I withdraw my statement.

Cheers.

19. jpoag

jpoag New Member

In any event, I don't think that the validity of his claim is under scrutiny.

I was asking for people's personal feelings towards the guy and if autism was a factor. I avoided the 'savant' bit on purpose.

20. princec

Indie Author

Easier just to ignore and eventually he'll bugger off.

Cas :)