Jets'n'Guns - classic side-scrolling shooter

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Tovy, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Midnight Synergy

Indie Author

Downloaded last night, zipped out my Credit Card tonight. Haven't had a chance to download the full version yet, so all comments are on the demo version.

Very nice! Not perfect, but very nice!

Total 80s chip music, dudes! Reminded me of playing Zynapse on my Atari ST. And that's a good thing! ;)

Great particle engine. Amazing amount of detail. Fun to play.

Allright, obviously I bought it, so what are the drawbacks (that you might scare other potential customers off with)?

1. The shop/mission interface is clunky. You get used to it, but at first you have no idea what to do.

2. The first level boss is kinda lame, and has been done a billion times before. I hope the other boss monsters are more inspired, you certainly have the technique to pull it off.

3. The difficulty level is very uneven. Buy the wrong weapons, and you're dead in the water. Upgrade enough and the level is dead easy (by the third go my Flamethrower was so powerful I didn't even see any enemies on screen anymore - they blew up before even entering, including 2/3 of the boss. Got me over 3 million credits - I'm scared to think what I'll be able to buy in the full version). Hopefully that is not the way the full version progresses, but even if not, you might want to change that - it obviously concerned some others on this board.

4. The RailGun enemy seems kinda unfair... you don't really know what's happening, and boom, you're dead.

That's it... I might have more comments after playing the full version a bit. Probably not today/tonight though.

There's been some very oppulent horizontal PC shooters out this year, this game, Dovez, and Steel Saviour. Dovez is neat (and I love the music) - might just "have to" buy that as well. Steel Saviour wasn't quite my cup'o'tea, although it is beautiful to look at! Glad to see that scene is alive and (hopefully) well.

Cheers,
    Patrick

2. tolik

Original Member

Complete the first campaign 5 times. Having real fun with all the upgrades and 13000000 scores :)
    Going to buy it instead of Super Elvis which has OpenGL...

3. tolik

Original Member

Bought it!

4. Nemesis

Original Member

Is it just me or is the game impossibly hard? My best try was when I pumped all the upgrades into a front gun but even them I seldom got past the first missile gun and never past the tracked missile tank!

Something I'm missing?

5. patrox

Indie Author

Yeah it's impossible, put it on easy :)

Or sell you first weapon and buy the razor gun, it's easier that way.

pat.

6. GrahamGoring

Original Member

Rub his face in it why don't you? ;)

Oh, I should point out that BMT refunded the extra CD cost to me as the game is shipped by the developer - ie, don't check that CD option for heaven's sake if you order the CD version. Still had to pay VAT but I can't really blame the developers for that now... Or can I?!

#26 GrahamGoring, Nov 15, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  7. tolik

Original Member

Yeah, same problem. Payed the VAT but the CD version from BMT/RegNow is not the one which is referred on site.

I've finished this amazing game. "Is this the end...?"

It stands up with the promised Tyrian, R-Type and other games very perfectly. I see a lot of Atari stuff here (especially the hardkore muzak!). I wonder if creators were also inspired by some Extirpator enemies :D

I'm very excited to complete it again on higher level difficulty.

And it's really much longer than 110 minutes.

8. RedKnight

Original Member

With all those "EXCELLENT" shmup games around,
    it seems like it's going to be very hard to come up with one shmup game.

Feel like were on the coming second golden age of SHMUP. :D

9. tolik

Original Member

Second Golden Age of SHMUPs passed with Dreamcast.
    This console had all the games from Naomi, Sega arcade based systems.
    (http://www.system16.com)

10. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

It was nice to see Ikaruga come out on the GC though...

11. Nemesis

Original Member

Steel Saviour

I've just had a peek at the screenshots for Steel Saviour.. I'm speechless! I can't believe that's indie stuff. I'm downloading now.. will give it a go later on today hopefully.

We're really getting spoilt for choice when it comes to shmups lately! By the way, has anyone seen Solaris by Apollo Entertainment? It was released in 2000.. very polished. There are some screenshots here:
    http://www.shmup.com/index.php?page=fiche&id=505

As for Jets'n'Guns, it's a nice game. My only niggle is that the style is somewhat inconsistent, mixing 1940's era planes and dirigibles with futuristic craft. On the other hand, one can look at it as having a style of its own. Anyway, the game has very good production values (save for the text, which is in dire need of a decent review) and is definitely fun to play. My other niggle is that the game is hard.. I'd consider the novice level as "normal".

12. tolik

Original Member

It's very hardcore and very arcade-style.

I've referred to it in one of my posts here.

It mixes all the dreams of the game creators :)

13. princec

Indie Author

Super Elvis is free to everyone @ indiegamer anyway :) No need to buy it.

Played J&G now, initial thoughts:
    - Gidrahs don't die quickly enough early on (see Platypus). I hate it when things take 2 shots to kill.
    - The whole weapon selection screen thing right up front is pretty offputting. You need to get into the action first then go to the shops later.
    - Love the mixture of Victorian technology and futuristic. Nice style.

Cas :)

14. RedKnight

Original Member

Not True.

It started with Dreamcast.
    and there's still Games coming out for the dreamcast.

And Gradius V shows that there's still shmup on the ps2

15. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

The Dreamcast certainly seems to have had far more than its fair share of excellent games. Too bad.

Oh, and what's a gidrah?

16. princec

Indie Author

Google for it :)

Cas :)

17. tolik

Original Member

You need to compare the rate of games flowing out when Naomi/Dreamcast appeared, and when it died (past 2001). While it was alive, there were dozens of games coming out the same year.

Now it's just 2-3 a year. Same as usual "non golden" years ;)

18. oNyx

Original Member

Stumbled across a bug once. The boss just disappeared... no explosions... nothing... just plop and he was gone. The game didn't continue after that. (I could still fly around and wait for Christmas.)

I was unable to reproduce it. IIRC it happened when I dropped napalm bombs onto the remaining upper piece (that teapot).

Oh and JoyToKey(rocks!) also doesn't work with this game. So... yea, the playing experience is rather of that unergonomic kind.

19. the2bears

Original Member

Tried out the demo at work :D which isn't the best test... one reason is I've got an AV switch between two boxes which tends to mess around with mouse and keyboard inputs. But anyway, here's some impressions:

Great style, love the "steam punk" style! Very "Blackhawk" comic book and cool.

Seems the difficulty level is too hard right from the start (and I play alot of shooters, no expert but no greenhorn either). Worked much better second time in, buying some advanced weapons but I feel I should be able to jump right in without RTFM etc.

One *major* annoyance, a couple pauses occurred, where the screen went black for a few seconds and all action stopped. Then, the last time it happened it rotated my display 180 degrees. This was a pain, hard to fix looking at everything upside down with mouse controls inverted (and I've "mastered" AlienFlux and SuperElvis controls;)

Here's the "not-so-good" graphic card details for tracking this down:

Intel 82865G Graphics Controller

All in all this is a game I'll seriously consider buying (after testing on the home machine with its ATI) Nice work!

Bill

20. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

You don't mean, "Ghidrah, the 3 Headed Monster" do you?