Jawbreakers Return!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by phobic, Feb 17, 2009.

1. phobic

phobic New Member

Hello,

I would like to announce the release of my first completed game.

Jawbreakers Return! is a remake of several classic arcade games combined into one funny (I hope) story.
    Creating the game was mainly driven by the nostalgia for the classic games from the 80s. Started as a free
    time project at first, later the game evolved into its current state and is now distributed as a shareware PC game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The full version of Jawbreakers Return! costs $19.95 (USD).

For more information visit the homepage at http://www.fingerspoil.com

Download the trial version of the game (Windows XP/Vista) from http://www.fingerspoil.com/download.php?f=Setup.exe

Regards,
    Angel V.

#1 phobic, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. JGOware

Indie Author

hmm.. I don't think I've ever seen a remake being sold as shareware.

3. Maupin

Original Member

There are some. (Maybe many?) It always rubs me the wrong way. These guys, for example. :mad: Updating the gameplay is one thing, but just remaking and selling is wrong, in my opinion.

(Can't say anything about this particular game one way or the other.)

4. Midnight Synergy

Indie Author

Yay for Jawbreaker! I still play the original on my Atari 2600. :D

And, for a joke, I doctored the Jawbreaker box for a fake interview with the 'Chomper', one of the characters in Wonderland. http://www.midnightsynergy.com/newsletter/issue013/page7.htm ... I was amazed that some of my readers even got the reference.

I'll definitely need to give your game a whirl.

5. Midnight Synergy

Indie Author

Hey, had a quick play. Installs and plays fine on my machine.

I did find the game a bit too tedious, though. If you look at the original Jawbreaker, the game is fast and intense. In this version, I felt like I was moving in slow-mo through the maze. It was more of a chore than a challenge. I also didn't understand some choices. Why have red pills, if I can just spray my enemies? Why does the counter denominator in the bonus stage keep changing?

I also didn't make it to the scene in the second screenshot above (which looks most like the original Jawbreaker to me, unless I'm actually thinking of a different game).

As it is, it seems perhaps aimed at younger children? There doesn't seem to be much of a challenge. Now, that's not a bad thing in itself, of course. If you didn't want to go that route, the game really needs more 'zip', in my opinion.

6. phobic

phobic New Member

@JGOware and @Maupin
    Well it is definitely not just remaking. The gameplay is really updated and extended in my opinion. Anyway I am not familiar with these remaking and selling issues :( Maybe I should not have used the word "jawbreakers" in the game title? And what is with all these game clones? I mean all these time management games for example look like same game to me. So they are clones, not remakes. Right? I do not know which was the first game using this concept. If I change the game title, then should it be called clone?

@Midnight Synergy
    Thank you for the feedback! Maybe the game is kind of slow. For me as a developer it is easy to play, but most of the people I saw playing it could not make it event to the second stage. So I thought it is OK. I do not know :( In fact during the next levels the speed of the bad guys increases. Unfortunately there is no in-game help. It looks like the player should find the rules for himself. I tried to describe some of these rules in the game help section, but obviously it is not complete. Anyway... the red pills are just an option in the game. You may not have any power-up/weapon. Than eating a red pill could be a "life-saver". Also weapons work only in stage 1 (the one with the maze). In the bonus stage you have to play for one minute and miss no fruit to get the bonus score.

7. Acord

Acord New Member

Can't copyright an idea - but these guys are just stealing like crazy. Call it Bolder Dash or something(related misspelling) - this is outright infringement.

8. Maupin

Original Member

I don't know enough about Jawbreakers to really comment, but I think you should use a diffferent name if you're selling it and it's a remake of a game with the same name that you don't own the rights to. If you've updated/changed the gameplay then that's great and I don't have a problem with you profiting even if it is technically a remake. (And you have a good point about all the time management clones.)

Yep, but they got away with it because First Star Software allowed them to continue for a percentage of the gross sales and some minor changes to the game. Unbelievable to me.

9. Acord

Acord New Member

Jawbreakers was an okay pac-type of game for the 2600. Taz and Asterix are similar, more polished, and not as fun.

10. mooktown

Original Member

Yes, it's very different to change the name, give it a cat theme, give it away for free and use it to promote another venture for profit.

Seriously how can you take the moral high ground from down there?

11. Maupin

Original Member

Wow. I completely disagree. Not only is Natto-Cat freeware, but it doesn't contain any of the original graphics, levels, or sounds/music. I'd say it's probably the most unique Boulder Dash remake out there. Yes, there's an ad on the download page. You don't think that entitles me to be upset when someone remakes the same 8bit game... with similar graphics, exactly the same gameplay, doesn't even change the name, and starts selling it? I say :p.