January Chicago Indie Game Developer Club meeting

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by GBGames, Dec 19, 2005.

1. GBGames

Indie Author

Our last meeting was in Schaumburg, but I'd like to put it to a vote:

For our January meeting, what would be great for you?

- Lincoln Park in Chicago
    - Schaumburg (Starbucks at Streets of Woodfield)
    - Other

Day:
    - Sunday
    - Monday
    - Tuesday
    - Wednesday
    - Thursday
    - Friday

Time:
    I am not going to list 24 hours here. Fill in the blank: ______

I'm still thinking about having it at the end of the month, but if you would prefer a different date, say so here as well.

And I'm thinking about writing up some kind of About Us thing:

The Chicago Indie Game Developer Club is an informal group of indie game developers who meet every month to talk shop with likeminded people. It's generally good to keep in touch with your industry; no one wants to become obsolete. This club is just one way to make and keep contacts, learn about developments, and provide personal feedback to other developers.

Thoughts?

2. impossible

Original Member

Lincoln Park, no preference for day, sometime in mid-januarary. The 12th-15th would be the best day, hopefully I can get my development partner to join us for a Boxen release party :).

If it's in Schaumburg I would prefer a weekday. I will probably be out of town from the 28th to the 8th, so anytime after the 8th is ok.

3. TimS

Original Member

I could've rolled out of bed to arrive at the last meeting (I sleep in the men's room at Starbucks), so I'll abstain from voting on location and just go wherever is convenient for everyone else.

Day of the week doesn't matter to me, but if it is Mon-Fri my available time would start at about 5:30 for Schaumburg and mebbe 6:30/7:00 for downtown.

End of the month is good for me -- the later it is, the more I'll have done before then (in theory). Really any day is good though... no conflicts here.

As for your "about us" thing... you putting together a website or something? :) Sounds good thus far, though.

-Tim

4. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

As always I vote for Schaumburg because it's closest :)

5. GBGames

Indie Author

I'm going to go with Schaumburg, Tuesday the 17th, at 7PM. How does that sound? I should be recovered from moving to my new apartment in Chicago by then.

6. NothingLikeit

Original Member

I vote for chicago mainly because I'm closer and I'll actually show up for a meeting this time....

Also there's tons of great places to meetup

If chicago:

Any day: and any time after 6:00 pm

If the suburbs,

schuamburg Sat or Sunday anytime in the afternoon

7. GBGames

Indie Author

We will move the meeting back to Chicago in February...unless people like the idea of having two meetings a month?

8. NothingLikeit

Original Member

kinda like a indie game dev chicago and an indie game dev west meeting? I'm game... nah that's a bad idea i think the altnernating months is fine. By feb i should finally have something to show off as a first impression

9. TimS

Original Member

I say keep the group together and move the meeting from month to month... Schaumburg and Chicago aren't so far apart really. If we ever get heavily weighted toward the Chicago end (peoplewise) us Schaumburgians can just suck it up and go downtown once a month.

Chicago people! Recruit your friends! There are only like three of us to overpower in the vote! :D

10. GBGames

Indie Author

You'd think more people from Chicago would show up...

And just to make it cleaner:

Where: The Starbucks at
    Streets of Woodfield
    601 North Martingale Road
    Schaumburg IL, 60173

When: Tuesday, January 17th, at 7PM.

11. ernestpazera

Original Member

I think I'm going to try to get there, provided I don't have anything else come up for that day. It's only an hour drive.

12. GBGames

Indie Author

Good! Hope to see you there!

13. GBGames

Indie Author

Bumping this post up for reminder purposes...and because we're better than Vancouver.

14. TimS

Original Member

I agree. The few of us could entirely destroy the Vancouver branch if ever it came to a Cardboard War...

Any takers?

15. ernestpazera

Original Member

Now, of course, I cannot go, as I'm flying to AZ.

16. GBGames

Indie Author

I also cannot go this Tuesday due to a death in the family. I was gonna have an agenda and everything. So whoever goes, let us know how things went.

17. impossible

Original Member

I'll show up if someone wants to give me a ride from Cumberland. Considering that GBGames can't make it and no one else was able to last time, I probably will not be attending. I'll definitely be at the Chicago meeting next month, or whenever its scheduled.

18. Mike Boeh

Sounds like it should just be rescheduled.... My wife was due with our 2nd child last tuesday- but still no baby yet! So you can pretty much bet that the baby will be born this tuesday :)

19. TimS

Original Member

How about next Tuesday or the 30th? No reason having a meeting tomorrow if I'm the only one who can come... :D

I'd rather have a real meeting later this month, if anyone thinks it'd be better.

#19 TimS, Jan 16, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  20. Mike Boeh

Would definitely be better for me...