JAM XM - criticism wanted!

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by berserker, Oct 25, 2004.

1. tolik

Original Member

Oh man, just copying the outlook idea of RnR will not give you any advantage. You need to copy the gameplay. Since you came so far, try to get original car speeds and original track widths/lengths. Now, make them a bit different (eg multiply by 1.2). You'll get the original fun factor of RnR and from here you'll be able to add more stuff of your own. Try to gather all the parameters from original game, including the amount of bonuses per track, I see you have dozens of them and they sure need to be balanced.

Your issues doesn't come from RnR, your issues come from incomplete RnR understanding. Polish your analysis by checking more games of the same genre. I can't imagine how someone can blindly copy another game without knowing the entire genre...

If this doesn't help you, you should uninstall WindowsXP.

#21 tolik, Oct 25, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  2. MrPhil

Original Member

Garage Games Solution

Food for thought, Garage Games' Torque includes network code that has a solid reputation. This might be enough to jump start the LAN Party mode. They also sell a network library under the name TNL. It's more expensive, but I'm sure is easier to use.

3. berserker

Indie Author

Thanks for hint. I looked at RC Pro Am 1&2 and couple of ideas came to my mind.
    ________
    Launch Box

#23 berserker, Oct 25, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  4. berserker

Indie Author

Thanks Anatoly,

I've done as you described. The problem was that my vision was completely subjective and I lacked a vision from aside.
    Now as I am gathering different feedback, some things become clear to me.

By the way, what game do you know, that would fall into this genre.

In another life perhaps :)
    ________
    Museum

#24 berserker, Oct 25, 2004
  5. techbear

Original Member

6. tolik

Original Member

Take a look at "Biker Mice from Mars" on SNES, Death Rally and other games, I remember one was called Nitro Racer (PC) but I'm not 100% sure... There was also a great game on NES involving the races on water and other surfaces, it was very dynamic and fast, can't remember this one :(

7. 3dben

Original Member

Maybe Micro Machines?

8. Mike Wiering

Original Member

I just tried the game and also chose the first easy mode which was way too easy. In the third level a hurricane made the car completely uncontrollable. That's fine for a while, but after waiting for my car to be blown up three times, I just decided to quit. Later I wanted to try a harder level, but the game crashed when I tried to select the first season (something in main.exe). While uninstalling, the uninstall program crashed too, so I had to remove the files myself (BTW: you really have a lot of small files there, according to an old program the DATA directory alone uses 160 Mb, although I don't know if Windows XP's file system still works in the same way. Anyway, it's usually better to put lots of small files into one big one, that would probably also make the game load faster).

I think you should make the easy mode less easy and add a little variation to the tracks (not complete new graphics, but try different colors/lighting/weather/etc), so that every track 'feels' different.

BTW: Try running Death Rally in DOSBox (http://dosbox.sf.net/)

9. berserker

Indie Author

Uhm, what do you mean "hurricane made the car completely uncontrollable"?
    Are you talking about oil puddles that make your car spinning?

Can you send me files in the data\profiles folder to yaroslav {at} enkord.com?

Thank you for your comment.

It is a slideshow on my Athlon XP 2500+
    ________
    Xtube

#29 berserker, Oct 26, 2004
  10. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I loved rock'n'roll racing, probably one of my all time favorite SNES racing games.

"The stage is set, the green flag drops!"

The commentator was really great...

the other thing that made that game great was you could actually feel a difference in how your car handeled after each upgrade. Engine's boosted your speed an aceleration, tires made you slip less on the corners, shocks made you recover from jumps faster and loose less speed, you could upgrade your car's armor and weapons. That game was just a blast, no doubt about it :)

11. Mike Wiering

Original Member

Could be, or a tornado, I don't know. It makes your car spin and there's nothing you can do. Other cars past with a tornado around them too.

Sorry, I already deleted the entire directory.

It starts at a very low speed. You can change it with Ctrl+F11/F12.

12. luggage

Haven't downloaded it yet but as a suggestion for the profile situation...

Call it a "license" and get the player to drive a simple (and short) tutorial to qualify for it. Just driving through a set of cones and stopping in the box might be enough.

Don't have the shortcuts too secret, make it a risk\reward situation. ie, say you have a 90 degree corner, make a short cut across the corner but it's half the width of the normal track. Do you play it safe and go the long way or try and save a bit of time?

Super Sprint used to have gates that opened and closed, these worked really well.

Dang, now I'm going to have to download and play it now. Will post again a bit later with some more info.

Scott

13. luggage

I've just had a game and it is indeed very bland.

* menu is tidy but it feels complicated, I didn't quite know what was going on at any one time.

* tracks were quite dull. To fix this try
    - making corners that aren't just 90 degree bends.
    - varying the track texture add sections of sand, grass, tarmac, water
    - ramps and jumps
    - vary the height so you can have bridges
    - vary the scenery a bit more

* handling was a bit bland. You could just drive round the track without giving much thought to it. Make it more slidy, quicker.

* ai was a bit linear, I only player rookie but they were all driving in the same line end to end. It didn't feel like it was 4 racers on a track

* more angles for the cars. It feels and looks a bit odd to have a car with not enough angles of rotation. So I'm driving at 30 degrees but pointing up. If it's a problem with size then think about making the cars black & white and colouring them in code when it's first run.

That should give you enough to get on with. Try playing Super Sprint if you can get hold of it. Was my favourite game of this type and would give you a good place to get the basics.

14. lowemark

Original Member

My thoughts on the game:

Way to easy, I won gold medal in every single race in the demo version the first time I tried the game.

No motivation to upgrade your car or to buy new weapons, as i never had to use any weapons to win all races and hell i don't think i even upgraded my car anything either.

The computer controlled card did not use the shortcuts.

Mostly really boring tracks, i mean come on, how fun is a squared race track? Even in the later levels the tracks seemed boring.

Did'nt like that the flying cars (or whatever) in the menu reseted their position when you clicked on something.

Did not like the stearing of the car, it felt to slow, the car speed was really slow also, you should speed this up a bit (the car might go faster if you upgrade it but since i did'nt feel the need to do this i never tried it).

Really slow gameplay, no action (probably becuse the computer cars was so far behind me all the time).

Pretty nice graphical style though :) (but maybe a bit repetative at times)

My advice: play R.c Pro am racing on the NES or Ignition on the PC (old game created by UDS from Sweden) to get a feeling how a good (fun) racing game should feel like.

But with faster gameplay, more action, better tracks, smarter AI and better car handling, this game could be fun to play, as it is right now I personally do not think that it is a fun game to play...

Bottom line: I really think you should have fun when you play a game, with this game i did not have fun.

15. berserker

Indie Author

You probable selected rookie difficulty. If the game was too easy on warrior difficulty, then you are truly hardcore gamer.

I am working on adding diversity to tracks now.

Well, probably I should increase speed, thanks.

Yes, I've tried both of RC Pro AM games as I was advised by 3dben earlier and it gave me some ideas.

Thanks everybody for your feedback.
    I had to release this game in its current form to hear objective comments like all of you commented it. Now more or less I do know what to improve and I am going to do it.
    ________
    Toyota hilux

#35 berserker, Oct 28, 2004
  16. EpicBoy

Original Member

Depending on your target market, you should temper the feedback here with feedback from casual gamers (wives, girlfriends, non-gamers, etc). The people who frequent these boards tend to be a little jaded and hardcore ... the feedback is good, but it's not always 100% applicable to your target market. :)

17. Sunshine

Original Member

Hey! Just wanted to throw my 2 cents into the horses' mouth before I continue to beat it some more.

I actually liked the graphics, there's a great cohesive 'plasticy' feel to them. Nice planet renders, and the starfield was above par also. And I am a big fan of Mad-Max so I thought it was pretty cool.

!!HOWEVER!!! There was an incredibly annoying bug in which the car turns so slowly that I could not turn around the corners and had to smash into the wall for several yards before it would turn enough to go straight. I could not find in the options a place to set the sensitivity of the controlls.

So...What's up with that? :confused:

18. berserker

Indie Author

Sunshine,

You can't set sesitivity of the handling. It will be increased as you buy handling upgrades for your car.
    Anyway, version 1.1 of the game with MAJOR gameplay improvements is coming real soon. Here is brief list of changes:

- Major gameplay improvements: gameplay is faster and diverse, controls are better.
    - Totally new tracks with sand, water, dirt, rough terrain, and more
    - Secret shortcuts and passages!
    - Interactive scenery
    - In-place speed boosters and bouncers
    - More precise car animation
    - More visual customization of your car
    - Game interface is simpler and more user-friendly
    - Game balance improved
    - Fixed lot of bugs

When I will be done with it I will probably start a new thread on this forum.

BTW, what is Mad-Max?
    ________
    Suzuki rv125

#38 berserker, Nov 8, 2004
  19. berserker

Indie Author

#39 berserker, Nov 23, 2004