Jack Thompson Sues Take-Two, SCEA, Gamestop, Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by C_Coder, Feb 24, 2005.

1. C_Coder

Original Member

Now this is too much! (from Gamasutra news):

2. Bmc

Bmc New Member

in the eighties it was heavy metal.

3. AndyN

Original Member

I have to stop myself chewing lumps out of my desk every time i hear lines like
    Speaking as someone who's actually fired a handgun (a long time ago, you can't anymore in the UK) GTA is pretty far from being a simulator, as are DOOM and resident evil - both of which had the same charges levelled at them a few years ago.

I'm assuming the officers were shot, maybe I'm wrong there. But whatever the weapon used, shouldn't this schmuck Thompson be suing the manufacturer of the weapon?

If a guy lost control of his car and ploughed into a bus queue would they blame the car or the driver - or maybe they would find out he'd been playing Burnout3 just before the incident and blame EA?

4. Pyabo

Original Member

And don't forget the incredible negative influence that Dungeons & Dragons has on the fragile psyches of adolescents!

5. Coyote

Indie Author

Dungeons and Dragons, Comic Books, that newfangled rock & roll, foreigners immigrating here, BOOKS...

It's all those awful things putting ideas in good people's heads. Why, nobody should ever have to take responsibility for their own actions. Now back in the old days, before we had all that - that was utopia! We never had rape. Murder. Banditry. Hooligans. You never had people going on killing sprees, burning villages and stuff. Why, the only reason Cain ever killed able was because he was trained to do it after weeks of playing Grand Theft Sheep on his Sega Genesis...

6. princec

Indie Author

Yeah, you've got to watch those books. I reckon the only solution is to imprison anyone caught writing them, and burn their work.

Cas :)

7. Hiro_Antagonist

Original Member

I'm sort of interested in seeing this lawyer explain how the violent crime rates in the USA are the lowest they've been in many many years, if these violent video games are just training America's youth to be killers.

Doesn't everyone know by now that things only seem worse as a psychological by-product of increasingly sensationalized news coverage?

-Hiro_Antagonist

8. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I think we need someone to kill for the sake of childrens books or the Teletubbies, just to finally clue in that people kill for stupid reasons.

9. Valen

Indie Author

10. Sirrus

Original Member

In the early nineties it was rap...

Always going to be something.

11. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

He forgot the television manufacturer (unless it was also Sony). What about the electricity company that powered the equipment that trained a killer?

12. Nonz

Original Member

What about the prehistoric swamps that turned into peat that was compressed by millenia that created the coal that fueled the power station that made the electricity that powered the console that played the game which trained the killer that killed the policeman that lived in the house that Jack built.

Nonz.

13. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

What surprising to me is that the special forces bothers with all that hard training stuff they do. Why not just find kids good at counter strike and throw them in a war zone. Let the games train em up. See how that goes.

14. oNyx

Original Member

If there really is a connection between video games and running amok... why did the numbers decline continuously since there are video games? Ah well, those science stuff is clearly witchcraft.

15. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Theres an extended debate on this in some other thread where I post about 20-30 yrs of psychological studies that show it's inconclusive. (ie they're unable to show any correlation) Although it does deal more with tv and other stuff...

16. DanDanger

Original Member

Deary me it's a sad state of affairs isn't it.

Here we have a young kid, who obviously has some psychological issues, playing with his guns and playing video games. And what do the lawyers try and blame on his killing spree? The video game, not his psychological state of mind, not the guns that he owns, but the video game.

17. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

Of course! Assuming the gun was he's (or his parents'), that's the only way for them to make money!

18. GBGames

Indie Author

Stuff like this is why I wrote my letter to Governor Blagojavich regarding his proposed laws. I got a letter back from his office finally. It was basically a form letter saying, "Please support my law".

19. GBGames

Indie Author

I think it is funny because millions of people have played games like Doom. Why would only a handful become violent because of it? Wouldn't we have much more?

But people like having a scapegoat, and the game industry isn't as well represented by a single organization as the movie or recording industries are. Notice that books are protected by free speech, and this is understood, but games based on the stories were considered different by some people. It is inconsistent and shows a lack of understanding, and probably also shows that some people don't want to understand it.

20. Air

Air
    Original Member

Yeah, it's scary to think that there are people who are so easily brainwashed (for lack of a better term) that their view of reality can be remade entirely by the frivilous content of a video game. You have to figure that if it wasn't GTA now, it would have been a cult religion, hate music, or creepy literature later.