it takes an artist to know an artist

Discussion in 'Music & Sound Portfolios' started by matmilne, Oct 23, 2008.

1. grhufnagl

grhufnagl New Member

Ha!

Funny story...I heard a fellow student give a speech on this word my freshman year in high school - he was only 14 yrs old. The first time I heard it, I think my brain did a right turn and my body did a left. He was brilliant - he went to study neuroscience at Harvard. I believe the word is related to a lung disease. Anyway, thanks for the memory!

2. Jaap

Jaap New Member

A lot of good advise have been given to Matt in the present and in the past. True what Sean said about topics hunting you. I remember that you called me a liar, child etc in the past on a big community forum and that topic is still visible and far more "hillarious" then this one, still I think it is not good to throw that at you (even after all the things you claimed there and what you called me and others).

Still I think people deserve the benefit of the doubt and in the same way Nathan and all the others gave good constructive feedback on how to improve yourself and make your dreams come true.

We are all in the same boat and the world is relative small and who knows whit whom you end up in a team later. It is better to make friends then enemies. Beside that sharing knowlegde and advice is a great thing. If you can prevent people from falling deep by stupid mistakes, why not help them.

However you choose to ignore all good advise. Pitty, really a pitty. Maybe you wonder why we all put so much energy in it and not leave it?
    Since we are all composers and sound designers here and our audio community deserves a good name and if there is a "fake" person in our middle it damages us all.
    I have been in enough projects now and in the past where I had to clean up the dirt from all kinds of people who promised the biggest things and faked all kinds of credentials and in the end they could live up the expectation and simply dropped the project.
    If you cannot live up the expectations you create we have to clean up the mess people like you leave behind and that will cause that devs and other producers will simply think bad about audio people.

Just my advise: be yourself in a honest way. Start out clean, drop the attitude and all the fake stuff (on different forums you contradict yourself in numbers of concerto's you have written, with people you have worked etc.).
    You still have a good chance to continue clean and have a great time and work as composer in the game industry. Your music is functional, enjoyable and certainly suitable for certain kind of projects. The music is a good start, now carry on with the attitude and I can assure you that your experience will be much much better.

3. matmilne

matmilne New Member

the answer to that would be no, absolutely not, under no circumstances, et al.
    I am me, and i am always me and i don't allow anyone to change me, like you're attempting to do.

and for your information, when i am hired i don't run on a standard contract either. When you hire me you put me incharge of the music and that alone. i have full perogatives of hiring and firing, full input on all creative decisions and full control of the music department and its budget, that is stipulated in any contract i sign. I will not submit myself to some trumped-up pompous music director so they can circumvent my work and turn it into some backing track, any director of music production would work for me. The rest of you may be quite happy to allow a director's creative vision to be turned into something else so you can get paid by a producer, but i don't allow that on anything i'm involved in. the music that goes into the production is what is agreed between myself and the production head, and nobody else. I will not allow producers and editors to circumvent the creative authority of the head of production or in my own department.

The problem here is the problem with music theory. if i write something that breaks musical rules, quite simply put it's because i changed them.
    but an orchestrator would want to change them back, as would a music director trained to follow the rules of music theory. quite simply put who's score is it? the answer is mine. and if i find any person who works for me attempting to circumvent my wishes or the wishes of the project head, they find themselves fired.

#43 matmilne, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  4. chillypacman

chillypacman Guest

I've been trying to find some of your previous work, stuff you would have signed a piece of paper but came across nothing. From your myspace:

pray tell who exactly are you working with?

You come off across as an eccentric genius without the genius part...

#44 chillypacman, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2008
  5. Jaap

Jaap New Member

Pitty is too early here for popcorn, but that was a good laugh! Thanks Matt.
    To the other readers, sorry for this, normally I can hold myself and will withdraw again from this topic before I make a fool out of myself to respond even more.
    I had honestly in mind to give some advise and hoped it might be good to think about (same as most of us have as intention I think).

6. sound app

Indie Author

You should try stand up comedy.

7. matmilne

matmilne New Member

makes you feel powerless not to be able to draw a lot of information out of people doesn't it.
    you guys think its about resumes, qualifications and presentation. It isn't that simple. those were hoops set up to make sure that only people of your kind got into the industry of your kind. Now, that industry is falling appart and its dragging the rest of the industry down with it.

in order to know whether the genuine article is infront of you or not, you require artistic talents and instincts, that's what it takes to see the future.
    that little group of you doesn't have those.
    my goals and my instincts cannot be achieved by conventional means.

8. chillypacman

chillypacman Guest

If you had made this thread with honesty and integrity, rather than lying your ass off, boasting and lecturing everyone who tried to give you advice declaring in that pompous way you're too good to care about their advice, I would have considered paying you to work on my game with 100% control over the music.

As it stands I know you're a pathological liar and have an ego the size of Jupiter. Why would I want you to work with me? Why would anyone who reads this thread want you to work with them?

Everything you've said seems basically boil down to 'if you don't think I am the greatest person ever its because you just don't get me and you are doomed to fail and bring down the industry along with you'.

And for the record, I don't feel 'powerless' for not being able to draw information out of you, the fact you cannot prove any of your wild outlandish claims is proof enough for anybody who is sane that you are blatantly lying. You make all these claims, you can't back up any of them, and then you mock those who doubt your integrity?

9. matmilne

matmilne New Member

yes, who'd hire me, who indeed would want to hire me.
    if any of you want to be helpful, tell me who'd hire me, i'll go talk to them right now, better still make a reccomendation or referral and i'll take it along no questions asked.

considdering the experience in the entertainment industry between you, your group has, you aught to be able to say what sort of people would hire me. what sort of agents and managers would endorse my music and my attitude, what sort of celebrities and talents would not just admire but share my goals, outlook and attitude.

impart your wisdom.

#49 matmilne, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  10. Sybixsus

Original Member

Kerry Katona.

11. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I just jumped back into this thread temporarily to say:

JUST WALK OVER THE BRIDGE INSTEAD OF THROWING FOOD AT THE TROLL

12. ionside

ionside New Member

You could benefit from contacting Uwe Boll.

13. dannthr

dannthr New Member

I have a buddy who has done work for Uwe Boll. He is professional and efficient, he's passionate, has a sense of humor, but doesn't let that get in the way of a professional attitude and a serious relationship. He doesn't need to advertise for services, as he's regularly employed, but he has a pro and well constructed website and presents himself and conducts himself at his best, always.

14. ionside

ionside New Member

I mentioned Uwe Boll because I saw similarities with his beliefs and that of Matmilne

15. matmilne

matmilne New Member

Uwe sounds like a lot of fun, a guy like that's gotta be waiting for a great project, and i would love to be there when he finds it. silly blizzard for denying him film rights, ratings are deceiving. thankyou ionside i shall check that out.

16. chillypacman

chillypacman Guest

awww, but it's so much fun.

17. nino_rajacic

nino_rajacic New Member

This is becoming ridiculous! Matt is obviously immature kid who still thinks that hell bring world to his feet but it's his right. We're all different. And yes he's, arrogant and ignorant but he have right to choose the way presenting himself to the market. He also have right to accept or not advices (and here are some great and useful ones, form Nate, Jaap, Sean, Dan and others). I won't be advising Matt since it's pointless, nor ask him questions since he's not answering properly. And it's hes right to do that or not.

But!
    No one has right for fraud and presenting some fake or imaginable credits. Especially on these forums where people are looking for jobs and serious of what they doing. This kind of posts damages credibility on composers community on this site. And yes. We care for it. So mod's should setup rule of showing credits, if mentioned in thread, like obligatory field.

So, Matt, it's obvious that you don't belong here and it would be a true miracle if someone hires you after reading this thread, and your statements. I've just read your post in Jonathan's thread (sorry for giving your name here Jonathan) commenting his music which is far, far better from your demos, and with attitude of Composing guru, and "friendly" Teacher! C'mon man, that is ridiculous. Have you ever listened to you're own samples with critical ear? Try to apply those advices to your music. And just to mention, all things you've said there reveals your low level of knowing, music theory, composition or even music.

I won't advice you since you're not taking advices. I'm just kindly asking you to change attitude or change forums please.

thanks,

18. matmilne

matmilne New Member

aha, no i don't think i will.

19. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Is there a way to mute people permanently ?

This guys's trolling in another thread that's just been locked too. We could do without these kind of wankers taking over.

Mods ? Please ?

20. Matt2East

Original Member

Nathan, you are a true Audio Messiah for taking the time to dig through these ridiculous posts and offer intelligent feedback. :D